The ''his and hers"

This is a discussion on The ''his and hers" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wife and I at small party gathering Saturday and the host chatted with me re wanting to choose a house gun for him and - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ''his and hers"

Assistant Administrator

The ''his and hers"

Wife and I at small party gathering Saturday and the host chatted with me re wanting to choose a house gun for him and - his lady.

I suggested they both drop by here and sample the feel of several platforms I have ... he is decided on 9mm - just platform choice to be made.

Now I have no Glocks or Kahrs but am thinking a compromize package could be served by something like SW99 or Bersa UC-9. His lady is tiny - real tiny but I think a medium size should do the trick.

I have no other smaller semi's (altho they'll see all semi's I have) ...... but wonder if anyone else has had to decide on a ''his-and-hers"?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A Single Stack S&W auto in 9mm would fit the bill for a house gun that wouldn't be too difficult for the lady and still big enough for the gentleman.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

JD
    Administrator
    Lima just sold a couple a set of M&P 9mms, a full size for him, and a compact for her.

I've always been fond of couples carrying etc. together being able to somewhat share mags.

I'd recommend anything with the interchangeable backstraps, usually the medium will accommodate both if need be.

VIP Member
    I'm going to have start buying that way....M

My wife has absconded with a Sig 239, which she still has!
    Then she stole my Glock 23, so I had to go buy her one!
    Then she stole my Guardian, which she also still has.

The last one she has stolen is my Kimber Pro Carry II in .38super!

It is going to get expensive to keep up! The main problem is she has to change firearm depending on the outfit!....Me, I just carry the same gun everyday......my outfit doesn't change.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    The wife is really fond of the SW M&P in 9mm. She is fairly petite (her words not mine) with small hands and handles it very well.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Chris....
    I'm thinking along JD's lines, one to fit him and one to fit her. No compromises needed this way. Good luck!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

My wife wanted a revolver - I got her an 8 shot S&W 327 with a 2 inch barrel. Nice little gun! I wouldn't mind using it if I needed to. We tried a few different power levels (its chambered for .357 Magnum) and settled on .38+P. Reloads fast too with the moon clips FWIW. I can't imagine a guy looking for a gun for him and his wife to share knows how to clear a malfunction - I think a revolver is a good place to start learning. JMO

Austin

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Chris , With all due respect sir you are falling into that " Ladies gun " trap . Lay out everything for her , let her shoot them if possible and then decide . My petite wife for instance ccw's a Detonics compact in .45 and carried a Browning hp for duty . In all fairness i did shorten the trigger reach slightly for her on the hp tho . Point is she chooses full bore " Mens guns " shoots them well and loves them .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Chris, His and Hers, does that really work?

I bought my wife a G19 to have a nice hi-cap 9mm. She liked my G21 so much, I had to get her a G21SF to keep my G21 to my self. I guess the old saying holds true, what's his is hers, and what's hers is hers.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Assistant Administrator
    what's his is hers, and what's hers is hers.
    Probably true much of the time LOL!

In this instance we have folks who are not overly gun oriented - pro yes but not shall we say ''enthusiasts''. So - the plan is for them to find a ''go to'' gun in the house they both find OK to handle - a compromize probably.

Even better of course would be a specific ''his'' and specific ''hers'' - but both choices being mutually useable Don't think they are after a two gun purchase right now.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

After purchasing my HK P2000 SK and going to the range with it and my Sig P239, I've come to see the benefit of standardizing defense and carry handguns within the home.

The HK has the decocker near the hammer, where the Sig has it on the slide. That, and the mag eject on the Sig is a button the grip and the HK has it on the trigger guard.

I didn't think much about it until I got to the range. It took some thought when switching back and forth to remember where the controls on each was.

As a result, I'm thinking about switching out all the house and carry handguns to the HK 'P' line. They have the P2000 SK (sub compact), P2000 (compact) and P30 full size.

As a result, you should be able to find a size you like. They have changeable backstraps. And, best of all, you can use the longer mags in the smaller handguns, so you can standardize on spare mags.

Personally, I'm waiting for the P30L (long) for the house and plan to stick with the P2000 SK for carry. I already use the P30 mags for spares.

I think it would make sense not only to have have his and hers use the same controls, but also to have 'house' guns use the same controls as 'carry' guns. Basically so either of you can pick up any of them and be familiar with it's operation.

-john

I'd let them shoot mine to get some ideas, and encourage them to shoot others, unless one jumps out at them.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    I'm an admittedly biased wheelgun fan and your friends are not gun 'enthusiasts' I would naturally suggest a revolver, probably .38 with a 5-6 inch barrell. Easier to learn, easier for both to use.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

I didn't see grip strength mentioned anywhere

My wife finally wanted a gun available in the house when I had to be away for a few days. I have a 9mm and a .380 and she had trouble working the slide on either one.

She doesn't seem to have the grip stregth to overcome the recoil springs in the semi-autos I have. I think that may be the case with all semi-autos. Our temporary solution was to have the one that fit her hand the best ready to fire double action.

We're looking at revolvers for her to keep around the house. The current front runner is the Ruger SP101 with some after-market grips.

Grip strength can be an issue for many people, men and women, due to their physical size, age, medical complications, and some things I probably haven't even thought of.

Glad everyone is so eager to help their friends and neighbors find the right combination for them.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

I'd suggest a 4" Ruger GP100 if they are "newbies" to guns, or a 4" K or L Frame S&W.

They can load 38 Special +P's until they feel confidant with the .357 Magnums and the revolver tends to feel better in a woman's hands, from my expiriences. Bear in mind though, that's a "generalization" that I'm basing on my past expiriences. Others may have different preconceived ideas.

The revolver will be very easy to learn compared to the autoloader and has a simplar "manual of arms".

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links