Gun Safe Locks

This is a discussion on Gun Safe Locks within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be purchasing a new gun safe in the near future. More and more I see that lots of safes are coming with electronic ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safe Locks

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Gun Safe Locks

I will be purchasing a new gun safe in the near future. More and more I see that lots of safes are coming with electronic keypads. I was wondering about the long term durability of these versus the old and proven dial combination locks. What are your opinions ?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Buy one with a keyed backup. Make sure you keep the keys secure, esp. with little ones! I keep my electronic safe keys in a mechanical button safe so I don't need to worry about batteries failing or losing the keys.

I'm different than most on this issue. In the setups you mentioned, all a burglar has to do is take a hammer to the keypad/dial, and you're spending time with the locksmith. I like Bear Safe's setup. He recesses and covers the lock, so it's hard to get to with tools. Something to think about.

http://bearsafes.com/products.html

Disclaimer--I have no affiliation with this company other than being a satisfied customer.

As always, YMMV.

Good luck,
    Herk

Administrator
    I have no idea on what your gun situation is, but heres my thoughts and theories... I have a lot of guns. Most of them sit in a safe 364.5 days a year, so I have no need for quick access to those. I buy the most secure safes I know of, and they have an old fashioned dial lock.
    The few guns that I might need a quick access to go in one of the keypad boxes when it or they are not on me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would do some research, some electronic locks are easy to compromise.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I don't know if it's just because I am getting older or what. But the safes with the electronic keypads just don't look as secure. It my be because all the safes I grew up always had dials and thats just what I am used to. I just see more and more of the safes coming out with the electronic keypads. I was just wondering If I am missing something?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Key back up is great. I'm in the market for a new safe my self. Man, oh man lots to chose from.

I worked in electronics for almost 20 years, and if it can break, it will when you need it. I like the manual dial better.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I have to gun vaults with Sargent and Greenleaf dial locks on them. The first one I purchased in 1983 and it's never failed me. I was speaking with a locksmith the other day and he said that the electronic vaults make him quite a bit of money. It seems people tend to have problems with them and he gets called out to fix them. The only electronic safe I have is the finger pad 2 handgun safe for the house defence gun in the bed room. Since I've got a 6 year old son I don't ever leave a gun out when I take it off. The rest of my long guns and hand guns are in my 2 vaults.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I worked in electronics for almost 20 years, and if it can break, it will when you need it. I like the manual dial better.
    I have two Browning safes...one tall, one short...both in a walk-in closet. The short one has a key pad, the tall one has a dial and a spoke wheel handle. If I open the tall one, I need my flashlight and glasses (60 y/o eyes), but the short one I can do the 6-8 numbers in the dark. My short Browning safe with an electronic dial has proven its reliability over the last three years...both are great safes.

Let's face it, if an experienced safe-cracker has the time and the focus, he'll get in...that's not your common dirtbag burglar.
    The everyday thug who might break in, is not getting into either safe, and he is not going to carry either away.

The electronic lock was not a cheap one...somewhere between $180 and $250...I can't remember...got a deal on it with the safe!

Hope this helps...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As for security, the body of the safe is the weak spot, not the door, or lock. Now, ask yourself how much you would trust a battery powered electronic trigger on your EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    As for security, the body of the safe is the weak spot, not the door, or lock. Now, ask yourself how much you would trust a battery powered electronic trigger on your EDC?
    Very good point. I think I will stick with the old tried and true dial lock.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

I have a dial set up and I like it better than the electronic ones I have seen. I am thinking on calling the Mfg and see if I can't custom order another safe with the same combo

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    When I was researching my safe purchase, I talked with an acquaintance who used to sell safes. His insight on the differences was that the electronic keypads were easier to see and operate, you can set the numbers to whatever you want after delivery, and it doesn't require a locksmith if you forget the combo. The negatives were the need for batteries/electricity, and if you never change the combo, eventually the keypad wear will reveal the numbers in the combo. He said they were about the same in terms of reliability, and were not the weak spot in the safe. The weak spot (according to him) was the walls of the safe. His advice was to get the thickest steel walls you could, and not worry about the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    When I was researching my safe purchase, I talked with an acquaintance who used to sell safes. His insight on the differences was that the electronic keypads were easier to see and operate, you can set the numbers to whatever you want after delivery, and it doesn't require a locksmith if you forget the combo. The negatives were the need for batteries/electricity, and if you never change the combo, eventually the keypad wear will reveal the numbers in the combo. He said they were about the same in terms of reliability, and were not the weak spot in the safe. The weak spot (according to him) was the walls of the safe. His advice was to get the thickest steel walls you could, and not worry about the rest.
    So a safe cracking search on U-Tube there are a heap of video's there. Some on the hammer it open method, and some on how easy it is to override the electronic combination system, me I'll stick with the dial.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links