Gun Safe Installation

Gun Safe Installation

This is a discussion on Gun Safe Installation within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking about getting a full size gun safe. Since I have never owned one, I am curious as to what folks here think ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safe Installation

Gun Safe Installation

I am thinking about getting a full size gun safe. Since I have never owned one, I am curious as to what folks here think about the necessity of permanently installing a safe to the floor vs. just letting the combined weight and size discourage any potential burglars from attempting to steal it.

I tried the search feature, but couldn't find anything specific regarding my question.

I do have an excellent home alarm system and live in a (for now) quiet neighborhood. I know the definitive answer would be to firmly anchor it to the floor, but right now the wife objects to any drilling through the slab. So my specific question is: "Would an unanchored full size safe be a bad idea?"
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you have enough guns, then they are so heavy that no one can pick them up. With the fire proofing and guns and other stuff I think my vaults weigh will over 1000 lbs. It would take a real prepaired crook to remove them. I had a hard time putting them in the house empty I can't imagine moving them full. I've got a little house gun safe in the bed room that is mounted to built in furniture with large lag screws. If your really worried about a big safe then hammer drill a 3/4 inch hole in the floor and mount a lag bolt in it through the bottom of the vault.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Administrator
    Its really no big deal to bolt it down to the concrete floor. I'd do it when she's not home... what she doesnt know wont hurt her.

But, if you're chicken, the weight of it all will discourage all but the most pro. of burglers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My lovely wife told me I am getting a safe for Christmas, and to go buy it today. I did. The delivery guy will bolt it to the floor for me, at $12/bolt. Of course, unless the bg brings a fork lift, I am not worried about them running out with it! My safe will also be in an alarmed area, and protected by a vicious African Grey parrot, so I don't think I will worry.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I wouldn't feel a real need to bolt a safe to the floor...wouldn't hurt to do so, but no one is going to carry a full safe away.

If it's not full, then you're a 'slacker'...get thee to a gun shop...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i'm also getting one for christmas and I think I will bolt mine down.

VIP Member
    The way I see it. I brought it in , it can be taken out. I have a 700 lb safe. Two of us brought it in on a dolly. If someone knew the safe was there, a dolly is all it would take to steal it. I'd bolt it to the floor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I wouldn't feel a real need to bolt a safe to the floor...wouldn't hurt to do so, but no one is going to carry a full safe away.

If it's not full, then you're a 'slacker'...get thee to a gun shop...
    I like the way you think....

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    Bolting the safe to the floor, while not a necessity, is simple to do and even if it adds just a tiny bit of extra security why not do it? As mentioned, it isn't necessary to drill through the slab. A hammer drill with masonry bit will drill a 3" deep hole quickly and even that size lalag bolt makes the safe more difficult to move. Goldfinger proved any safe can be broken into, but the harder it is, the less likely a thief will succeed.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Use Hilti redhead floor anchors, best anchor out there. You tighten them until you reach the breaking torque and it snaps. Just make sure you are clear of any knucklebusters prior to it breaking free.

I currently have a 14 gun safe in the master bedroom walk-in closet. It weighs in the neighborhood of 500# and was a bear for my son and I to get up the stairs. I bolted it to the wall studs with 2 1/2" lag screws. It ain't going anywhere.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    I too don't think bolting it down buys you much in your situation.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Difficult for me to do now with my current safe but I have decided that my next house will include a second, larger safe that will be bolted into the floor with a minimum of two bolts.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

We moved my Buddy's safe that wasn't bolted to the floor.

In fact we moved it to his new house with the aide of a dolly and a lift gate truck. BTW, this safe was a "Double Door Safe". In short, freaking huge!

The average burgler type nefarious piece of human flotsam may not remove your safe, but why take a chance. Bolt the dang thing to the floor and be done with it. The whole idea behind safes, locks, bolts ect. is to slow down the bad guy. Nothing is totally impenatrateable (sp?). In fact Ft Knox can be penetrated, if you have the time and resources to spare.

OK, that's my long winded answer. Bolt it and be done with it. You will be amazed at what a "Yard Pumped Prison type" can move if he truely wants your guns. Most don't want to work that hard, but I know a few that do.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    When you drill into your slab, make sure you do not go all the way through, if you have groundwater underneath it may come up through the holes, ask me why I know this....

B52
    I have four 3/4" bolts securing mine, it was pretty easy to do. The guys at Lowes showed me what I needed and explained how to do it. The hard part was moving my safe on top of the bolts, I rigged my car jack and had a big pry bar. Good luck, I am not looking foward to moving the beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links