Defensive Carry banner

Reporter and detective gush over fictional ammo

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Dusty Miller 
#1 ·
http://www.wavy.com/global/video/po....com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage

Watch the video, it has a few choice comments not in the print story below. The whole story is sensationalistic.

Golden Tiger ammunition (a brief search of the internet finds only 7.62 x 39 124 grain, no handgun ammo). Detective:"These are armor piercing bullets, these are designed to penetrate ballistic vests, basically to execute police officers."

Four HANDGUNS shown but no evil black rifles.

Suspect had handgun in underwear waistband. That's some good underwear!

If you'd like to educate the reporter: andy.fox@wavy.com

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=7470501

Police say seven were nabbed in drug ring arrests

Associated Press - December 8, 2007 7:25 PM ET

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) - A Norfolk State University football player was among seven people arrested when police said they broke up a drug ring in Virginia Beach.

Police say the ring was operating out of a home.

They say items seized included 326 grams of powder cocaine, four pounds of marijuana, four handguns, about $7,600 and bullets designed to penetrate body armour.

Among those arrested was Naron Sanderlin, a wide receiver at Norfolk State.

Police say their investigation began in July when they received a tip that a drug dealer was living in the house. Over time, they said they set up a sting and purchased cocaine from Naquan L. Johnson, 19, and he was arrested Dec. 1.

Sanderlin was arrested at the home the next day along with Jovan Sanderlin, 26; Antonio Clark, 23; James Guy, 22; Earl Woodhouse III, 24; and Lakendra Mitchell, 22

See less See more
#2 ·
The only thing inaccurate is that he said it was designed to execute officers. This story annoys the heck out of me for a whole other reason I wont go into here... I'll just say I'd be pissed if I were the detective that was working on any case in that area.

#3 ·
My letter to Mr. Fox:
------------------------------
Mr. Fox,

That police detective really led you astray. I'd like to know his name so I can follow up with his department. His comment that Golden Tiger ammunition is specifically designed to execute police officers is complete BS. What company would design, market or sell a product for that specific purpose? I am amazed that you allowed that statement on your report. It is quite outrageous and slanderous in nature.

The ammo in question, Golden Tiger, is most likely 7.62 x 39 caliber, as that is all I can find for sale on the internet. That is a rifle round. It does not fit in the pistols recovered, or any concealable pistol that I am aware of. I'm not even sure there are any long barreled target pistols that accept the round.

Virtually all rifle rounds are capable of penetrating ballistic vests. Every hunting rifle in America can penetrate ballistic vests. This does not make them armor piercing ammunition.

True armor piercing (AP) ammunition is designed to penetrate steel armor, not body armor, and is a military tool. Federal law prevents the importation of armor piercing ammunition, although it can be found domestically. Golden Tiger is made in Russia.

Bullets are only one component of a cartridge. What you saw there were cartridges, a brass shell holding primer, powder and bullet.

I invite you to educate yourself about "cop killer bullets":

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=25

#4 ·
Golden tiger is typical Commercial AK ammo from Russia much the same as Wolf. Its not armor piercing either by design nor by legal definition. There is a list of 7.62 X 39 that is designated AP by BATFE and NONE of that can be imported. Golden Tiger is just simple Lead core bullets. And is legally imported....

However, shot out of a Rifle, it will penetrate body armor. Like any rifle bullet will do.

However its is NOT designed to do so, nor classified as AP.

There are AK pistols that do shoot 7.62 X 39. Which is part of the reason that all Steel Core 7.62 is now Banned and classified as AP. Because pistols were commercially made and sold and BATF decided to declare all steel core ammo in that caliber AP. Never mind the facts... just that they did not like it and classified it AP. Which brought on the dearth of surplus 7.62 ammo sales. Now it is only commercial new stuff like Golden Tiger, Hot Shot and Wolf (all Russian).

Golden Tiger is not AP (which is a legal definition, not an actual performance spec). Its just a brand name for one of the Russian company's commercial ammo and is perfectly legal. Recently Golden Tiger has also been imported in 5.45 X 39 as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.