Possibly saved my brother-in-laws life while hunting

This is a discussion on Possibly saved my brother-in-laws life while hunting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We we out hunting this weekend. I took my AR15, and he took his Rem 1100. He grabbed a box of 00 buck shot when ...

Thread: Possibly saved my brother-in-laws life while hunting

Possibly saved my brother-in-laws life while hunting

We we out hunting this weekend. I took my AR15, and he took his Rem 1100.
    He grabbed a box of 00 buck shot when we left the house in the morning. Little did he know that he grabbed 3" Magnums. I had not noticed until we started to walk to the stands, and saw the box in the vehicle.
    I asked him, how is that gun chambered? Is it chambered for 3" Magnums? He said, "I think so, why?"
    I said, "let me see that gun." It had 2 3/4 on the barrel. I told him you just put 3" Magnums in this gun. We went back to get some 2 3/4 00 buck from the house.

He was very thankful that I caught his mistake.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Wow. I've never made the mistake but I didn't think the 3" magnums would even fit in the chamber. Good eyes.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

it was a really old Rem 1100. They did fit. Somehow they did chamber.

They will fit...but the first one would probably fail-to-eject. I did the same thing in an 870 wingmaster when I was a teen. Grabed a handfull of rounds from the ammo box and the last one loaded (first fired)was a 3" mag. Did not damage the firearm - but not something you would want to do on purpose!!!!!

That was our consensus. We figured that the first would fire, and then fail to eject. I was worried that the older Rem 1100 might bulge. Of course there is that possibility of catastrophic failure.

Good save. I'm thinking the good ol' 1100 has a reserve of strength built in to save us from ourselves but one can never be certain.

Years ago a friend wanted to try out the old Winchester Model 97 Black Diamond trap gun I brought to an informal shoot with hand thrown targets. I didn't notice that he loaded one of his 3-inch Magnum shells into the gun. He came over to me complaining that my gun wouldn't eject the fired shell. Well, it wouldn't would it? The fired 3-inch shell was too long and hung in the opened action. When I realized what he'd done he did say the gun kicked very hard. It seemed none the worse for wear though it was made in 1911. I think his thumb caught the bridge of his nose or his cheek. Served him right.

VIP Member
    I was duck-hunting with a guy one time. We both were shooting Rem 1100's, and everytime he'd shoot, his gunfire sounded oddly, and at the same time he'd have a FTE. The same thing kept going on a few times with him complaining each time. I asked him to let me look at his gun and he had loaded the 12 gauge with 16 gauge shells (luckily it wasn't 20's ) The 16's were large enough to chamber and fire, but not eject properly, and too big not slip down in the barrel. This guy had been around guns/hunting all of his life.......I couldn't imagine how he let himself do that.

The 1100 was trying to do its part, but the shooter wasn't doing his.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I was duck-hunting with a guy one time. We both were shooting Rem 1100's, and everytime he'd shoot, his gunfire sounded oddly, and at the same time he'd have a FTE. The same thing kept going on a few times with him complaining each time. I asked him to let me look at his gun and he had loaded the 12 gauge with 16 gauge shells (luckily it wasn't 20's ) The 16's were large enough to chamber and fire, but not eject properly, and too big not slip down in the barrel. This guy had been around guns/hunting all of his life.......I couldn't imagine how he let himself do that.

The 1100 was trying to do its part, but the shooter wasn't doing his.

12 ga = RED
    16 ga = PURPLE
    20 ga = YELLOW

that is the way it use to be, but I haven't been around shot shells in a while.

They usually chamber. The problem starts when the round goes off and the crimped part of the round tries to strighten out. Good catch.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    12 ga = RED
    16 ga = PURPLE
    20 ga = YELLOW

I have some 12ga that are green. They are magnum buckshot but at 2-3/4 length.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    12 ga = RED
    16 ga = PURPLE
    20 ga = YELLOW

12 ga red, green, black, orange, blue; you have to read.

This exact scenario, both wrong chambering examples as indicated above, was covered in _extreme detail_ (1 hr. of a 12 hr. course) during the hunter education and safety course I've taken toward as well as in a waterfowl course (MA).

If a person makes this basic level firearms handling error then it might be time for them to take a remedial course in as much for their own benefit as well as those around them and their family who upon a 'mistake' will be left to care for and/or bury them.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    12 ga red, green, black, orange, blue; you have to read.
    correct. the 3" Magnums were green as well. I forgot to mention this.

Links