Colt 1860 Army

This is a discussion on Colt 1860 Army within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; COLT 1860 ARMY I have one of the replica Colt 1860 Army model in .44 caliber with an eight inch barrel. The grip, as with ...

Thread: Colt 1860 Army

Colt 1860 Army

COLT 1860 ARMY

I have one of the replica Colt 1860 Army model in .44 caliber with an eight inch barrel. The grip, as with several other pieces I have inherited, is just right for my hand, the long barrel track is great and the heft of the piece seems to be perfect for handling.
    Holding the gun in your hand brings back memories of the John Wayne movie in which he handled a similar piece while playing the part of an army Colonel.

My particular piece is made by Fillipieta in Italy. It has an engraved cylinder that, despite the 1843 naval battle of Campeche, seems a rare scene to engrave on an Army revolver, but as the battle was won by the American sailing ships against much stronger Mexican steamers like the Guadalupe and Montezuma (which where the most advanced ships of the day), it was a prominent victory for the American people and Colt wanted to honor those naval heroes.

The original was made by Colt from 1860 to 1873 in a quantity of 200,000; the most prominent revolver on the field after the civil war and until the advent of the Single Action Army in 1873.

Length 14 Inches
    Weight 2 pounds
    Caliber 44 (.451")
    Bullet Weight 138 grains
    Power Charge 38 grains
    Muzzle Velocity 725 feet per second
    Muzzle Energy 160 foot pounds

My revolver is very well made. The case-hardened colors are great and intense. The point of aim seems to coincide very well when I use a charge of 34 grains of 3 F black powder and an Ox Yoke pre-lubricated wonder -ad under the Speer ball.
    The only problem with the gun is having to clean it after having so much fun shooting the piece, but at least the easy removal of the barrel makes cleaning the gun easier than a Remington 1858 model.

Overall, among the many fascinating pieces I have fortunately come to possess, this is one laden with a unique history, reminiscent of ancient battles and an era nearly forgotten, thereby making it one of the most interesting of this collection.

Sincerely,
    Pharaohawk

2. Remove Ads

Ahhh yes, cap 'n ball revolvers. I haven't shot mine in quite some time. You are definately right about the cleaning part!

I've got a few differant ones laying around here someplace, Guess I should dig them out when I have the time.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Here is the picture that is missing in the above post

Links