Kahr PM9 fails to chamber completely

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 fails to chamber completely within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have a used PM9 that does not like to chamber much of anything consistently. I took it to the range last weekend and ...

Thread: Kahr PM9 fails to chamber completely

So I have a used PM9 that does not like to chamber much of anything consistently. I took it to the range last weekend and put probably 50 rounds of FMJ through it and it seemed like every other one I'd have to tap the back of the slide to get it to chamber completely. It only takes a light tap to make it go into battery but it's enough to make me not trust the gun or want to carry it. Any ideas on how to remedy this? I even put a few Corbon Pow'rballs through it and it still did it.

I love the gun for it's small size and usefulness but it might as well be a paperweight the way it's behaving. Am I going to need to send it back to Kahr or is there something I can try myself to fix it?

Thanks for any help and ideas you folks might have.
    Last edited by SemperGumby; December 10th, 2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

Administrator
    It might be one of the older models that was recalled a while back. Check kahrs website, or call them up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    First of look at your serial no , hopefully it begins with ab or later . If its a or aa ect .. send it back to kahr . If it is ab or later , well you need to know that the little kahrs like to run " wet " and by that i mean almost dripping in oil . go to the kahr forums on glocktalk and they have a lube diagram lube all excessivly . The micro kahrs can be good guns , but they require an attention to detail to run properly , not only on matenence but grip too . they are not imho for everyone , but if one will learn them are fine ( no better ) guns for the size /perfomance envelope
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

ree
    A couple of things to try.

1) Polish the feed ramp. You can do it yourself, but might be able to send it back to Kahr for them to correct under warranty.

2) Replace recoil spring assembly.

3) If #1 and #2 are not doing the job for you, check the hood of the barrel right at the front of the ejection port. It is completely smooth? Some older barrels, usually on a VA or VB serial numbered gun but also in some newer ones have metal that's too soft and it gets deformed when banging against top of the slide (this is the peening you sometimes here about with Kahrs). If the deformation is just right, it can create a lip that the slide drags against slowing it down as it chambers a round. You can feel for the lip by dragging your finger tip along the top of the chamber, and if there is one, you can often slowly work the slide and feel it hang up a tiny bit as that part of the barrel slides into the ejection port. If you've got this issue, check with Kahr customer service about whether or not the barrel needs replacing. If they don't think so from the serial number, a decent smith can polish the peening out, but it might come back if the barrel is really too soft. You might be best off sending it to them to make it run right.

ree
    BTW, Kahr has not kept recall notice on their site. But it is viewable via the Internet Archive (wayback machine) http://web.archive.org/web/200503110...//www.kahr.com. The contact info is out of date. So just use their current support channels.

PM9 Barrel Recall Notice

IMPORTANT NOTICE- PLEASE CAREFULLY READ IMMEDIATELY
    UPON RECEIPT

Dear Kahr Arms Customer,

Kahr's PM9 is one of our most reliable products for the concealed carry market. Nevertheless, in Kahr's pursuit towards continuous improvement, we are calling for the return of certain PM9 barrels for even greater reliability and safety.

Kahr Arms is asking all Kahr customers to return the barrels only from certain serial numbers of the Kahr PM9 3" barrel Polymer frame 9mm pistols in order to repair or replace barrels that were found to not properly feed some brands of hollow point ammunition, which under certain circumstances may be unsafe to the user.

If you possess a Kahr PM9 3" barrel model within the range of serial numbers noted below, please return the barrel only with a tag indicating the serial number of the gun. Barrels received will be repaired or replaced and shipped back within 7 business days.

Please return the barrel and your name and address to:

Kahr Arms
    130 Goddard Memorial Drive
    Worcester, MA 01603
    Attn: Dorothy Herold

Thank you for cooperating with us in our pursuit of continuous improvement. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause you.
    If you have any questions or comments regarding this notice, please do not hesitate to contact David Konn, Director of Dealer Development at 561-656-1288.

Sincerely,

Frank Harris
    VP, Sales and Marketing

Models involved: PM9093A, PM9093NA, PM9094A, PM9094NA
    Serial number ranges: VA0003 -- VA9999, VB0004 -- VB0999

My PM9 did the same thing when it was new. I called Kahr customer service and explained the problem. They sent me a new barrel and recoil spring guide rod assembly no charge. That fixed the problem. It has never failed since. Call them and see if they will send you parts or have you send it back for repair under warranty. If you got it used they may not warranty the parts or work. It is worth giving them a call.

I couldnt hand cycle the slide on my PM9 for about the first 100 rounds or so. I had to lock the slide back and use the slide release lever to chamber a round. After about 100 rounds it fixed itself and now I can hand cycle the slide to chamber the rounds.

I have a p40 and experinced the same problem. K called Kahr to explain and they sent me a new recoil spring assembly. That cleared the problem up and no other quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakdaddy View Post
    I couldnt hand cycle the slide on my PM9 for about the first 100 rounds or so. I had to lock the slide back and use the slide release lever to chamber a round. After about 100 rounds it fixed itself and now I can hand cycle the slide to chamber the rounds.
    From page 12 of the Kahr PM9 manual:

Pull the slide fully to the rear and lock it back using the Slide Stop. Next push down on the Slide Stop to chamber the first round into the barrel. DO NOT chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery.

I have followed Kahr's recommended procedure since my PM9 was new and have never had a problem chambering the first round.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    From page 12 of the Kahr PM9 manual:

Pull the slide fully to the rear and lock it back using the Slide Stop. Next push down on the Slide Stop to chamber the first round into the barrel. DO NOT chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery.

I have followed Kahr's recommended procedure since my PM9 was new and have never had a problem chambering the first round.
    Perhaps I should have been more clear. I am aware that it was in the manual I was simply pointing out that it's now a non issue due to the fact it now will cycle either way.

Yeah, they can be a little tight when new. Mine broke in just fine.

Sponsored Links