What's your system?

What's your system?

This is a discussion on What's your system? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious about how others might go about a cleaning session with their pistols. Personally, I head straight to the shop, where I find peace ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What's your system?

I'm curious about how others might go about a cleaning session with their pistols.
    Personally, I head straight to the shop, where I find peace and quiet. All cleaning tools/cleaner is prepped and ready with a cleaning cloth laid out. I prefer to break the pistol down, lay out the components and begin with the frame, then slide, barrel, spring, pin and follow up with the magazine. All fully cleaned parts are tansported to a clean rag.
    My best cleaning tool is a toothbrush, it really gets in to those nooks and crannies in the slide. If it's a 1911, I like to release the firing pin as well using a .22 caliber rifle cleaning brush to clean out the bore. Ever since I found Break Free, it's the only CLP I use - does a fantastic job with all finishes of metal, but be careful with wood grips, it tends to bring out the stain in wood, so I usually remove wood grips prior to cleaning.
    I tend to have just (allmost) as much fun cleaning my pistols as I do shooting them. I'm very methodical and highly concentrated when cleaning, just wondering what system you might have and what type of CLP do you use with any precautionary statements?
    If death is what we fear, our freedoms were never realized.

VIP Member
    I spread out my gun cleaning rug on the floor and sit on the floor with it. I break the gun down and run a patch with solvent through the barrel. I'll then focus on the slide using a military GP brush and solvent. After that comes the frame. Once that's done I'll run a brush through the barrel, more solvent, then clean dry patches until they come out clean. Then I'll lube the gun back up and reassemble.

When I used Glocks I would spray it down with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water. Scrub it with a toothbrush (or a traditional brush for the barrel), blow it dry, lube, then reassemble.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm a break free fan also.

I have a dirty rag and a clean rag. I break it all down, clean the little bits, put them on the clean rag. clean the slide, then lastly the frame. I get them dry and apply a very light coating of CLP

Complete break down, standard brushes and tools, Hoppes, "Brake Clean", air compressor & blow gun, inspect - particularly the wear areas, lightly oil with silicone base, reassemble, test functionality, reload and holster.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    All steel parts get a soaking in Ed's Red. Wiped dry, lubricated,reassembled,reloaded and put in proper place.

pistol cleaning

my new system will be dropping it off at your shop.
    sounds like you do a pretty good job.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I've been a fan of CLP since my military days. I love the smell of cleaning solvents as much as the smell of burned gunpowder too. I'm very meticulous in my gun care and cleaning. Nylon toothbrush, I love those cotton swabs with wooden handles (one ended q-tips), pipe cleaners (excellent for cleaning inside the slide rails), steel wire brush (for feed ramp, breech face), Hoppe's #9 for the barrel with bore brush (if a patch comes out with any hint of fouling--it's done all over again), and there is nothing better in the world to protect the exterior finish than Shooter's Choice 'Rust prevent'. I also clean powder residue from the magazines I have used at the range (mainly the feed lips).

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    my new system will be dropping it off at your shop.
    sounds like you do a pretty good job.
    LMAO! Me too!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Go to the big table. If I clean one gun they all get cleaned. Doesn't matter if they have been shot or not.

I only have semi-autos. I break mine down, slide a soaked patch into the barrel to soak for a while, and in the meantime, I clean the slide and frame thoroughly, go back to the barrel, again cleaning thoroughly. I start reassembly by putting some small drops on the slide grooves and standing it up on end, so it can run down the grooves. while its doin that, im inspecting, and then lubing up all the points needed on the frame, and barrel, lube any other points on the slide when done, reassemble, test function, load, store/holster.

I use a great cleaning product called CORROSIONX. They have a package they sell as CORROSIONX FOR GUNS, however, I bought the product in a quart spray bottle as it was a much better value and exactly the same product. Once you've cleaned your gun, repeat cleanings are a breeze.

http://corrosionxproducts.com/corrosionxpage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Saint77 View Post
    I break mine down, slide a soaked patch into the barrel to soak for a while....
    Hm..sounds like a good idea, I think I'll be adding that to the process..thanks!
    If death is what we fear, our freedoms were never realized.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I set up the folding table in front of the TV, field strip the pistol, then apply a lot of Prolix, brush and patch thoroughly, blow out crud with a spray can of compressed air, then lube the slides with Slide Glide.

http://www.prolixlubricant.com/
    http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

You mean we are supposed to clean em?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Gumbo View Post
    You mean we are supposed to clean em?
    You wouldn't need to if you had an XD and an AK47. Otherwise, yes you must clean them.

(Inner voice)Lets see if that comment will stir up some glockers.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links