Smith & Wesson Model 19

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson Model 19 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SMITH & WESSON MODEL 19 357 MAGNUM I have this revolver with the four inch barrel and the original target grips. It must be a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson Model 19

Smith & Wesson Model 19

SMITH & WESSON MODEL 19
    357 MAGNUM

I have this revolver with the four inch barrel and the original target grips. It must be a model of the late seventies, as the barrel is pinned and the chambers in the cylinder are chamfered for the head of the cartridge.

The cylinder is quite tight when at full cock and the bluing is pristine; based on this observation, I donít think my father shot this gun much.
    I havenít yet had the opportunity to try this gun at the range, but I think I want one of the Pachmayr neoprene grips for the K frame on this gun. The shape of the target grips is all wrong for double-action shooting, flaring too much at the end and affording little grip for the last two fingers.

I think Bill Jordan had some special grips made that had a reduced diameter at the butt, but the guy still had enormous hands and could have gripped anything.
    By the way, the model 19 was conceived with Bill Jordan's input on how a police revolver had to be made. In some circles he is considered the father of the model 19.

I put some dummy rounds in the cylinder and I cycled the gun a few times. The action feel very smooth and quick.
    I like my revolvers with some kind of high-visibility colored sights; this one's are just black, the typical target sights, showing well in the buff and black targets but poor for street business.

The finishing of the parts and bluing is just perfect, the top strap and barrel sports an anti-glare rib that works really well and gives the revolver a touch of class. Great workmanship in general from a gun from the seventies.

Sincerely,
    Pharaohawk

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Ya done good, Pharaohawk.

The M19 is one of my favorite classic Smiths. I carried one as a LEO in the 70s.

Your's is pre-1982, BTW.

Here's the Jordan Trooper, as done by Herrett's Stocks, Twin Falls, ID:

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Look right below the serial number and you'll see the production model number which will give you an idication of the time period when it was made. Mine's a 19-3 (mid 70's) It's my usual carry weapon once winter weather arrives. I love that pistol!

Thumbs up Model 19

One of S&W's classic revolvers.
    U.S. Army Veteran

VIP Member
    Yep, a great gun, and felt confident carrying it on duty as well. Mine now resides in a special place in our house, and it is my wife's go-to gun if she needs it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Gorgeous revolver! Love the 4-inch blue ones best. Your good photo makes the gun look mint. Nice case colors.

I've had several and wish I still had one. Next one I get stays. I've always like the N-Frame Models 27 and 28 and the K-Frame 19, yet never cared for any L-Frame or J-Frame .357 Magnum.

Some feel that the Model 19 Combat Magnum was the finest revolver ever created by mortal man.

The Model 19 was produced in blued carbon steel or nickel-plated steel with wood or rubber combat grips, an adjustable rear sight, semi-target hammer, serrated combat-type trigger, and was available in 2.5, 4, or 6-inch barrel lengths. The weights are 30.5 ounces, 36 ounces, and 39 ounces, respectively. The 2.5-inch barrel version had a round butt, while the others had square butts. When Smith and Wesson ceased production of the Model 19, it was replaced by the Model 66.

The Model 19 was produced from 1957 (first model number stampings) to November 1999. The Model 66 was produced from 1970 until 2005. The Model 66 differed by its use of stainless steel and its smooth target-type trigger. The Model 19 and the Model 66 had the same trigger options.

Engineering changes were designated with a "dash-" number after the model number. The engineering changes are as follows:

* 19 - 1957: Stamping of model number.
    * 19-1 - 1959: Change extractor rod, right to left-hand thread.
    * 19-2 - 1961: Cylinder stop changed, delete triggerguard screw.
    o 1963: Introduce 6" barrel.
    o 1963: 50 manufactured with 2.5" barrel, serial range
    K544672-K544721.
    o 1966: Introduce 2.5" barrel as standard.
    * 19-3 - 1967: Relocation of rear sight leaf screw.
    o 1968: Delete diamond-insert grip.
    * 19-4 - 1977: Change gas ring from yoke to cylinder. (not really an "improvement". It did make it slightly easier to clean if there was heavy leading, but basically was a cost-cutting measure.)
    * 19-5 - 1982: Eliminate cylinder counterbore.

Oh yeah, the Pachmayr grips are a must!!

The model 19 is truly a classic I think every police office in the 60s-70s carried one if he could afford it. I have had a couple over the years and just lucked out at the last gunshow I went to and found a 19-5 with target hammer and trigger and red ramp white outline sights for $400 a week or so later I found a Don Hume River belt and Jordan Border patrol holster on ebay for a food price so I am all set made me feel like I was in my 20s again, all kidding aside the M19 is a great pistol and I plan to do a lot of reloading and shooting with mine.

Model 19's great gun, love them.

VIP Member
    Great gun!!! You might try some flourescent colored model paint for the front sight. It will show up well, can easily be touched up, or cleaned off, and it won't hurt the bluing of the orignal finish. I've done that with some of my older wheel guns with the plain sights.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

i got one in 1973 and still got it. one of the best guns that i have. i put some orange paint on the front sight. works well and will not come off during cleaning. did the pachmayr thing for a while, but went back to the wooded factory grips.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i got one in 1973 and still got it. one of the best guns that i have. i put some orange paint on the front sight. works well and will not come off during cleaning. did the pachmayr thing for a while, but went back to the wooded factory grips.
    I bought my 19-5 back in the mid 1980s. At that time my work had me out of town sleeping in motels a lot and carrying large sums of money. The model 19 S&W was a comforting companion then. I equiped it with a Hogue rubber grip back then and only just recently replaced the Hogue with the original wood factory stocks. I've retired the 6" model 19 in favor of newer, more concealable carry guns but the old Smith is in my safe to stay and not for sale.

Beautiful Model 19.

I'm drooling and need a bib.

Biker

VIP Member
    Nice. I have 2 Model 19ís, one is a 6 inch I bought from a pawn shop for a great low price, the other is a 2 Ĺ inch bought primarily from nostalgia (carried a Model 10 or 15 while flying with the USAF) and the price was too good to pass up. I agree on the Pachmayr grips are a good addition, the target grips are nice but if you have small hands they are like having a fence post for a grip.

The first handgun I ever owned was a Ruger Single Six in .357. I traded it in for just the gun you now have. That was in the early 70's. I sold it in the late 70's and have regretted it ever since. I would so love to have that gun back.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links