I can't believe I saw this in the Plain Dealer

This is a discussion on I can't believe I saw this in the Plain Dealer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...820.xml&coll=2 Wow an editorial that says it exactly like I would. In another article written By Regina Brett in todays paper, she talked about how ...

Thread: I can't believe I saw this in the Plain Dealer

I can't believe I saw this in the Plain Dealer

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...820.xml&coll=2

Wow an editorial that says it exactly like I would.

In another article written By Regina Brett in todays paper, she talked about how the kids today scare her. She wrote about the kid who tried to rob a man at gunpoint, only to end up getting killed because the victim was carrying. The people from the neighborhood glorified the thug who got shot and terrorized the law abiding citizen. She said we've lost children to a culture that glorifies guns, drugs, and disrespect.
    So there you have it. One reporter who sees the value of gun ownership and one who sees it as a curse on our youth. Here's a link to her article.

http://www.cleveland.com/brett/index...820.xml&coll=2

In reality it's the person in control of the gun that uses the gun for good or evil. I (like everybody I know)choose good.
    CW

2. Remove Ads

Both great articles. I loved this quote, "But just for the record, if I ever need someone to save my life by firing a gun, I'll take the gun enthusiast who's at the range twice a week over the well-trained cop who happens to be an indifferent marksman. "
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Great articles...

Nice to see someone in the media writing some common sense!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The kids in Mount Pleasant scared me that day. Scared me into starting this crusade I've been on since April. A crusade to end the violence. A crusade to find a leader. A crusade to save this city.

Ever since Arthur died, I've been writng about children lost to poverty and violence and a culture that glorifies guns and drugs and disrespect.

I'll tell you what, until you figure out how to solve this problem I'll keep on carrying for my safety.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I call it the "me" mentality, and I can't believe that we let people get away with it.

All we ever hear, poor me, help me....

Frankly I am tired of it, Get off of your ass and do something good. rather than trying to take the easy way out. It's called responsiblity.

The rest of us have figured out that we have had to go to school, get an education and go to work.

Sounds to me like some parents need to get it in gear.
    "Homeland Security Begins at Home"
    http://www.michigancpl.net

S&W M&P 9C.
    Sig P232

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Both great articles. I loved this quote, "But just for the record, if I ever need someone to save my life by firing a gun, I'll take the gun enthusiast who's at the range twice a week over the well-trained cop who happens to be an indifferent marksman. "
    DITTO
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Thanks for posting the links to these two thought-provoking articles. I'm hoping that this church shooting incident will be instructive to some who wonder why the Constitution holds the Second Ammendment within it. Achieving a correct ruling should be a cakewalk for the Supremes but it appears that in our time right is wrong and wrong is right and a correct ruling isn't a certainty.

I only wish that Regina Brett had taken her article just a little bit further and pointed out that those mommies and daddies are the ones to blame. Arthur suffered the consequenses of his parents irresponsibilities. Those kids should never have to be someone elses problems. Hillary Clinton is dead wrong whe she says that "it takes a village to raise a child". What wrong-headed thinking that is! My kids were my responsibility and no one elses. It's wrong to expect anyone else or any organization to rear my children.

Society is responsible for hooliganism only so far as we've collectively made the virtue of tolerance into a vice in this country and we choose to tolerate absolutely everything but intolerance. Society is so warped that it tolerates aberrant behavior in all of its ugly manifestations, including irresponsible parenting. Parents aren't held responsible for their parenting skills and are never held up before society in shameful contempt for their failure to nurture their own offspring. Instead the"system" is at fault and demands some more tweaking. Society is at fault. Somehow you and I are at fault. I'm tired of being blamed for others' irresponsibilities and feel it's high time for some healthy intolerance and an appropriate definition of right and wrong to prevail. A responsible society uses a proper degree of intolerance for that which is wrong (and yes wrong can be defined) to police itself.

Links