Pro-gun nations?

Pro-gun nations?

This is a discussion on Pro-gun nations? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What other nations besides the US allows its citizens to have firearms? I can think of a few. Maybe we can get a nice list ...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Pro-gun nations?

What other nations besides the US allows its citizens to have firearms? I can think of a few. Maybe we can get a nice list together.

Quite a few of the Western nations do, it's just heavily restricted.

Finland, Norway, Sweden, Czech Republic, Italy for sure that I know of. Those are some of the better ones as far as Europe goes. Think Kommiefornia but worse mostly as far as gun control goes.

Some of the South American nations allow gun ownership as well (although from what I've read, it's not a Constitutional right in any of the countries). Chile, Bolivia, etc. I think Brazil has some gun control, but can't really enforce it too awful well. At least from what I've read. OPFOR can probably clarify that one, I think he's in Brazil.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I know Mexico has a constitutional right to own firearms.

Article 10. "The inhabitants of the United Mexican States are entitled to have arms of any kind in their possession for their protection and legitimate defense, except such as are expressly forbidden by law, or which the nation may reserve for the exclusive use of the army, navy, or national guard; but they may not carry arms within inhabited places without complying with police regulations".

Unless things have changed since the mid 90’s in Mexico, while it’s somewhat easy to get a hunting permit, and bring a rifle or shotgun to Mexico, it’s next to impossible for us to “legally” bring a handgun there.

VIP Member
    It is theoretically legal for Brazilians to own firearms, and even to get a Federal CCW permit, but it is very difficult in practice. Use is primarily restricted to "clubs" and such, and hunting with firearms is very limited. Of course, it's these strict gun laws that keep Brazil on the bottom of the violent crime stats every year! What? You mean Brazil is in the top of the violent crime stats every year? That can't be!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

From what I hear in the news guns are pretty free flowing in many African nations.

Other than the Swiss' unique defense system where all males are armed by the gov't I think most countries would be considered very restrictive on ownership when compared to the US.

Here's a decent article I just found on the Swiss. (Note: it's 6 years old so info may be outdated)...http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1566715.stm

Interestingly enough isolationism has worked for them...hmm maybe that Washington guy was on to something.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

You can take the Swiss off your list.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I know Mexico has a constitutional right to own firearms.

Article 10. "The inhabitants of the United Mexican States are entitled to have arms of any kind in their possession for their protection and legitimate defense, except such as are expressly forbidden by law, or which the nation may reserve for the exclusive use of the army, navy, or national guard; but they may not carry arms within inhabited places without complying with police regulations".
    .....and to own slingshots as that was all the Tijuana police had earlier this year. That word "except" and "or" pretty much cancels everything out at the governments' whim.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Links