Think this FTF is a magazine problem?

Think this FTF is a magazine problem?

This is a discussion on Think this FTF is a magazine problem? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a new to me Smith 22A. Single stack .22 target pistol. If you put just one round in the mag it feeds great. ...

Thread: Think this FTF is a magazine problem?

Question Think this FTF is a magazine problem?

I've got a new to me Smith 22A. Single stack .22 target pistol. If you put just one round in the mag it feeds great. With 2 or more rounds in, the part of the slide assembly that catches the new round and pushes it forward manages to scrape the brass of the 2nd round, pushing it forward a bit, then it actually scrapes a bit of the copper or lead off the second round as it closes, if it closes at all (as it tends to hang up here). Do I waste another ??$$ on a new mag, or does anyone know anything about this model that can tell me that I just bought a hopelessly worthless lemon?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'd try a different brand of 22 ammo first. If that doesn't fix it, I'd try a new Smith mag for a starting point. I'd also make sure that the pistol is cleaned and well lubed.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Have you dissembled, cleaned, checked for burs, etc. with the magazine? Yes, new ones need attention too. Ammo would be another thing to look at but I would bet the mag has issues.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

I'd try a different magazine before I did anything else.

Thanks guys,

***Update to say that I feel like an idiot***

Previously I had cleaned and lubed the gun and mag, and tried 3 different ammos. I realized the problem wasn't as bad if I didn't try to ease the slide forward. I found If I let it slam forward the scrape on that 2nd round was minimized. Then I took that bad boy to the range to give it a dance. Functioned great with mini-mags, stingers, and super x. I'd drop the mag between rounds to inspect for damage and found none. Had one Failure to Extract (wish I remember which ammo) and that was it. Other than that the gun shot great, and so did my wife, as today was the first time she ever handled a gun.

Never had a gun (or heard of one) that had a problem feeding rounds slowly. But I learned something new today.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Never had a gun (or heard of one) that had a problem feeding rounds slowly. But I learned something new today.
    My P3AT will only feed Hydra-Shoks if you slingshot it and have a monster grip. If you try to ease it forward at all you'll wind up smacking the back of the slide to get it to go into battery. It will feed ball without any problem, but that ridiculously wide mouth catches on the ramp if there's not enough inertia to overcome the friction.

Administrator
    Glad that you got it figured out and that the gun is working fine for you now.
    I was going to suggest the you just lightly break the sharp edge that was scraping but if it's working fine now - then don't do anything...because that sharp edge will "break itself" after a few hundred more rounds of .22.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a 22A as well... bought it new and before I could put even a couple of hundred rounds through it about a quarter inch chunk of metal totally broke off on the rear of the slide. I did send it back to S&W and the fixed it within a few days but this was the first one of their firearms that I had purchased and the first impression was not a good one. Glad you got it back up and running properly!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Lead Moderator
    Glad you got yours working well. My dad bought one and it seems to be a POS. I like my Browning Buckmark much more for accuracy, finish and fit.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links