Suggestions for a DIY project, please

This is a discussion on Suggestions for a DIY project, please within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I have a spare ballistic panel sitting around that I want to turn into a good dry-fire target/backstop. I live in a townhouse with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a DIY project, please

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Suggestions for a DIY project, please

So, I have a spare ballistic panel sitting around that I want to turn into a good dry-fire target/backstop. I live in a townhouse with other units on three sides, so the only more-or-less 'safe' muzzle direction inside is towards the front and pointed high enough to go safely over the sidewalk/parking lot towards the hill across the way.

Therefore my backstop needs to hang up on a wall somewhere, and so I was thinking about building some sort of frame to hold the panel. Maybe even put a print or poster over the result to make it somewhat decorative.

Anybody got any better suggestions? Any of those with a little bit of carpentry know-how have any suggestions for how to put the frame together?

All helpful (or at least amusing ) input welcome!

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't try this. There is no safe direction, and ballistic paneling only soaks up so many rounds before it's junk. Join a gun club with a range is my suggestion.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Nice concept. Sounds extremely dangerous to me. Besides---what were you wanting to do exactly----confront the local SWAT team? (that's the nicest way I can say---ARE YOU NUTS?)

I'm pretty sure he's just looking to create something that could possibly stop a bullet in the event of an ND while he's cleaning/clearing/dry-firing... I don't think he was planning on building an indoor range in his town home :)

Let me repeat: this is a dryfire backstop, nothing more. You guys do dryfire at home, don't you?

Even when dryfiring one should have a safe backstop just in case there is a sever ebrain-fart moment. When I dryfire I still keep the muzzle in a safe direction. I would like to have a better backstop than a handful of phonebooks, too.

Dry. Fire.

I ain't shooting live rounds around my house here, guys... (The cats would never put up with it!)

(Thanks, stickybeatz! )

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar

Take it easy, guys - he's looking to make his own version of a Safe Direction board.

Administrator
    I'd go to a large craft store like Hobby Lobby or something like that. Buy a shadow box large enough to fit the panel inside. I would then paint the glass front black so it looks like a cabinet, or mount a felt board over top of your panel and use the shadow box like a shadow box was intended.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Let me repeat: this is a dryfire backstop, nothing more. You guys do dryfire at home, don't you?

Even when dryfiring one should have a safe backstop just in case there is a sever ebrain-fart moment. When I dryfire I still keep the muzzle in a safe direction. I would like to have a better backstop than a handful of phonebooks, too.

Dry. Fire.

I ain't shooting live rounds around my house here, guys... (The cats would never put up with it!)

(Thanks, stickybeatz! )
    Okay--no need for a "backstop". You did mention "target', and that's all it took to set of an alert inside me. No "brain-farts" allowed! I dry fire all the time. Never----I'll say it again----never have any loaded magazines or ammunition around when 'dry-firing'. The term is the meaning. Know the condition of your firearm at all times! No ammunition in the same room with you and your gun. Realize that I'm working solely on what you stated previously. I'd never want to see a fellow forum member behind bars, injured, or sending apologies to someone's family.

I'd just mount it to the wall, then hang a painting over it

Lead Moderator
    You probably will need to attach it to hang, so the panel doesn't try to sag or collapse.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yup. I misread it too! Not the OP's fault I hasten to add. My fault for not reading carefully enough. I did nearly spit my tea all over the desk though!!

Wonder how many people got their panties in a bunch before scrolling down....

VIP Member
    Go to a flea market or hit garage sales. Find an old picture with a frame for cheap. placed panel in frame, get good picture in front of panel (Mother In Law comes to mind) and Voila!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Okay--no need for a "backstop". You did mention "target", and that's all it took to set of an alert inside me.
    I don't keep ammo in the room when dryfiring. I don't practice reloads and dryfiring at the same time. I triple check the weapon before dryfiring, including manually probing the chamber and mag well with my finger. Honestly, I do everything that I can to avoid an AD.

BUT I also behave as if I will have an AD, which is why I pay attention to muzzle direction and backstop even when dryfiring, two stories away from any ammo. Hell, I haven't gotten snap caps because I don't like the idea of having anything ammunition-shaped in my gun when I am fry-firing! (Thus the notion that if I ever do have an AD, I will have done everything possible to make sure it isn't an ND.)

Yeah, I said both 'target' and 'backstop' because that is how I have seen other people refer to the thing you point the gun at when dryfiring. So, sorry if I set off any alarm bells, but the whole point of this thread is that I am trying to be as safe as possible and just wanted to get some input.

SIXTO, I like the idea of the shadow box. Hadn't thought of that. Then I just have to make sure the panel has some support, like rocky says, to keep it from sagging when it is mounted upright...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    SIXTO, I like the idea of the shadow box. Hadn't thought of that. Then I just have to make sure the panel has some support, like rocky says, to keep it from sagging when it is mounted upright...
    Thats why I suggested the shadow box... you will have plenty of room to work with vs. a standard picture frame to come up with some way to hang it.
    Is this panel from a vest, or is a metal plate from something else?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links