Springfield XD45 issues....looking for advice.

This is a discussion on Springfield XD45 issues....looking for advice. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've mentioned this in a few other threads, but I bought a slightly used XD45 ACP Bi-tone (stainless slide) 4" Service about 3 months ago, ...

I've mentioned this in a few other threads, but I bought a slightly used XD45 ACP Bi-tone (stainless slide) 4" Service about 3 months ago, which has developed some issues. I had a little firearms experience prior to purchasing it, but it's my first handgun, so please pardon my ignorance.
    It came in it's original case, with a total of four mags, and all the original paperwork; it was test fired in July of 2006. The previous owner had fiber optic sights and an extended mag release installed, and it also came with a Hogue grip. It didn't look like it'd been fired very much, and is in very nice condition. The fiber optic tube is missing from the rear sight; I'm planning on just going back to the original sights. It didn't look like it'd been fired very much, and is in very nice condition.
    During the second trip I took to the range with it, I had a few jamming issues. It looks like the nose of the round is hanging up on the bottom of the feed ramp; when the jammed round is ejected, there's a line across the center of the round from the edge of the feed ramp. I've tried 4 or 5 different types of FMJ ammo, but it seems to jam up once every 100 rounds with all of them. I bought a box of JHPs, and I didn't even get 3 rounds into the first mag before it jammed. I've made sure the gun is cleaned properly, and I have numbered the mags, but I get the same result with all of them.
    The other issue is that there is corrosion developing on the slide in places. I carry the XD around the house (I won't have my CCW permit for a few weeks yet), but I always at least wipe it down with a little gun oil every few days. I guess it isn't uncommon for the stainless XDs to rust (suprising to me, since I always thought stainless steel was supposed to be more corrosion resistant); someone posted pics of an almost brand new one with corrosion already forming on the slide, over on xdtalk.
    I called up Springfield and told them what was going on; they gave me a return authorization for the gun, but I'm not sending it to them until I get the Glock 17 that I'm planning on picking up after the holidays (I don't want to be unarmed in the meantime).
    I'm leery of the corrosion on the gun, and the fact that it jams. I have a couple of nice holsters for it already, and I seem to shoot it well, but I'd hate to get too attached to it if it's going to be prone to rusting and/or unreliable. What do you guys think?
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Send it back to Springfield and they will take care of it. What does the feed ramp look like? Scarred? Could replace all the springs. Run her a little wet at first to see if that helps. Are the mags going all the way in? Are they 10rd mags or the 13's?
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Well brother I ran into your same problem it turned out to be bad magazines. Check your springs mine where compressed badly. I just pulled em out of the mags and let em sit for about a week. Since then I've bought more mags and used the old once scrictly at the range. I've got about 300 round on them now without fault.

-Alex

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Send it back to Springfield. Turn around is reasonable and the work is top-notch. Free too. You may have to buy a couple of new mags it sounds like someone left it in the safe with loaded mags too long.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Send it back to Springfield. Turn around is reasonable and the work is top-notch. Free too. You may have to buy a couple of new mags it sounds like someone left it in the safe with loaded mags too long.

There is no such thing as leaving the mags loaded to long. If they are quality mags you should be able to load them and leave them for as long as needed and expect them to work.

I'd let someone with more shooting experience shoot the gun and see if they have the jamming issues you are having. I would venture to guess that you are just limp wristing it, as the XD45 has a fairly high bore axis and limp wristing would cause that type of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    Send it back to Springfield and they will take care of it. What does the feed ramp look like? Scarred? Could replace all the springs. Run her a little wet at first to see if that helps. Are the mags going all the way in? Are they 10rd mags or the 13's?
    The feed ramp looks mirror-smooth...the rounds are hanging up almost underneath the bottom of the feed ramp. I've tried running it wet a few times, and it doesn't seem to change things. It uses the 13 round mags.

I've had two other knowledgeable people fire it at the range, and I had my CCW instructor (who also owns a gun shop) look at it; the consensus is to send it back to Springfield, which is what I will do once I have my second gun. I'm glad to hear that it could be something as simple as the magazine springs.

What do you guys think about the corrosion issue? I think Springfield's fix for this is to sandblast the slide; is this something that I'm going to have to worry about recurring in the future?

Thanks for the input.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    The feed ramp looks mirror-smooth...the rounds are hanging up almost underneath the bottom of the feed ramp. I've tried running it wet a few times, and it doesn't seem to change things. It uses the 13 round mags.

I've had two other knowledgeable people fire it at the range, and I had my CCW instructor (who also owns a gun shop) look at it; the consensus is to send it back to Springfield, which is what I will do once I have my second gun. I'm glad to hear that it could be something as simple as the magazine springs.

What do you guys think about the corrosion issue? I think Springfield's fix for this is to sandblast the slide; is this something that I'm going to have to worry about recurring in the future?

Thanks for the input.
    If you think that it could be a magazine, then go buy a new magazine and see if that fixes it. Why be without your gun for 2-4 weeks when the fix could be as simple as a magazine?

I was not sure of the rust problems on the newer stainless guns, I would probably just fix it myself with some synthetic steel wool. Not all stainless steel is created equally and it will all rust if not taken care of properly.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've got a Bi-Tone XD and have had absolutely zero problems with any sort of corrosion or rust on the slide. You mention it's a Bi-Tone Compact - according to the Springfield website, there is no such thing on the market. Is it the 4" model with only 13 round magazines, or 4" with 10 round compact and 13 round extended magazines? If it is the latter, and Bi-Tone, then I wonder how it got to be Bi-Tone... i.e., did the previous owner have the finish stripped off of the original black slide, or did he switch slides with another gun? Check your serial numbers on the slide and frame to ensure they match.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    springfield has one of the best customer services in the business....Call them, I bet they resolve your problem...I have never had anything but a great experience with there customer service..even on a used firearm...call them, tell them your problem...mention this site and 'our' advice...you will be happy.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Some thoughts here:

1) I have a Tactical and it is flawless, but then again, it is just as it left the factory.
    2) It sounds to me like someone modified the gun. The fact that someone put a grip on it and some aftermarket sights means to me that someone was probably tinkering and might have screwed something up.
    3) I don't doubt that it might be a magazine problem, but I have never had problems with magazines or the springs. I used to laugh at all the guys I shot with in IPSC and IDPA who used to change their mag springs every 2,000 rounds because they were convinced that the springs were the problem. Personally, I have never changed springs, even on my race gun which I put probably 50,000 rounds through when I owned it.

But I will say that Springfield does have awesome customer service when it comes to servicing their products. I hope everything works out for you, but my feeling is that the previous owner changed something, but don't worry, Springfield will make it right.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Lead Moderator
    As said, let Springfield check it out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

for different kinds of items use Sentry Solutions TUF CLOTH or MARINE TUF CLOTH

the HIGH SLIP GREASE always works on everything too - hot running AR's to boot.

check the web site for further info.

http://www.sentrysolutions.com/welcome.shtml

++++++++++

Handguns - MIL-COMM TW25B white grease

http://www.mil-comm.com/

bad mags will cause this
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I've got a Bi-Tone XD and have had absolutely zero problems with any sort of corrosion or rust on the slide. You mention it's a Bi-Tone Compact - according to the Springfield website, there is no such thing on the market. Is it the 4" model with only 13 round magazines, or 4" with 10 round compact and 13 round extended magazines? If it is the latter, and Bi-Tone, then I wonder how it got to be Bi-Tone... i.e., did the previous owner have the finish stripped off of the original black slide, or did he switch slides with another gun? Check your serial numbers on the slide and frame to ensure they match.
    I did say that it's a Bi-Tone 4" service in my first post, and it does use the 13 round mags. I'm glad to hear that yours is working out so well; maybe my problems ars just a fluke. Mine has the same serial numbers on the frame, slide, and barrel.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm wondering if it was traded off because of the jamming issue, and someone bought a few extra mags for the gun in an effort to fix the problem. I'm probably going to pick up a new mag, just to see what happens. Springfield has told me to send all of my mags along with the gun, so they can look them over. I'm glad to hear such good things about their customer service. I'll post up and let everyone know when I find the fix.
    G17, G26

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    I did say that it's a Bi-Tone 4" service in my first post, and it does use the 13 round mags. I'm glad to hear that yours is working out so well; maybe my problems ars just a fluke. Mine has the same serial numbers on the frame, slide, and barrel.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm wondering if it was traded off because of the jamming issue, and someone bought a few extra mags for the gun in an effort to fix the problem. I'm probably going to pick up a new mag, just to see what happens. Springfield has told me to send all of my mags along with the gun, so they can look them over. I'm glad to hear such good things about their customer service. I'll post up and let everyone know when I find the fix.
    My mistake! Best of luck to you, I hope Springfield turns it around quickly. You may also wish to send along the factory mag release. My gut tells me that whomever installed the aftermarket one didn't fit it properly, or it wasn't designed for the XD45, and is holding the mag too low in the gun - just enough to catch the edge of the feed ramp.

Links