The .357 Stops The Kodiak Bear

This is a discussion on The .357 Stops The Kodiak Bear within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Better you than me try this. I know that within the last few years, a fishing guide in the Anchorage, Alaska area killed a Brown ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The .357 Stops The Kodiak Bear

Better you than me try this. I know that within the last few years, a fishing guide in the Anchorage, Alaska area killed a Brown Bear with a 9mm loaded with FMJ when it charged.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

I think it ought to be stated that a huge difference exists between hunting a predator and fighting one off/ending the attack of one.

I've seen bears shot a number of times and have shot a couple problem bears myself and when they do get hit from 60-100 yards away they don't fly into a terrible rage destroying everyone and everything with raking claws and fireballs from their eyes. They just slump right on over or maybe they run a few yards and then die.

Hell, when I was a kid and kids today sometimes shoot take pot shots at on the ATV trails with .22's and surprise the bears don't turn into Hollywood killing machines, they just run away like the simple animals they are (not encouraging this activity, wounded predators aren't safe).

I've spent some time on Kodiak island (my wife's father sells loads of halibut there) and have seen their bears many times. The big males do get to be 1000 plus pounds at around 10-12 years of age, but most of the bears there never break 600.

The best way I can explain it is, while it isn't my thing, I know a number of men in my parts who have hunted coastal brown bears with compound bows.

/The bears don't know what hit 'em.

Bears don't have a thing to worry about concerning Yours Truly. I never rub elbows with anything big enough to use me for a toothpick. They can have the woods where they choose to live. I'm not greedy.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

I seem to remember some time ago a storey about some expert hunter who used to stalk brown bears in Alaska and get close enough to shoot them in the head with his 357. I don't know if he survived but the point of the story was that he was succesful. For you alaska hands I had heard that you should not wander around the bush with less then a 357 as a sidearm?

Senior Moderator
    In the Anchorage airport they have 2 mounted Kodiak's the current world record (taken by a dentist with a .375 H&H) and the fromer world record holder.

I don't know if the plaques were current but these bears where huge. I would want a lot more than my .357 and 180gr Buffalo bore rounds.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Dem some big Critters.......
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Capt. Crunch, that "average" Kodiak bear looks a lot more like and "average" large Kodiak bear to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    In the Anchorage airport they have 2 mounted Kodiak's the current world record (taken by a dentist with a .375 H&H) and the fromer world record holder.

I don't know if the plaques were current but these bears where huge. I would want a lot more than my .357 and 180gr Buffalo bore rounds.
    I understand that the bear DIDN'T die right away
    ...and isn't the dentist in one of the 'piles' next to the bear?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I lived in the great white north I heard a little joke about the guy that goes into the gun store in Anchorage to buy a 357 Magnum. The clerk says sure thing, but what you gonna do with it? Guy replies, "I might have to shoot a bear with it." Clerk says, "You want me to file the front sight off it for you?" Guy says, "Why would I want you to do that?" Clerk says, "That way, after you shoot the bear, it won't hurt so much when he sticks it up your butt!"
    Zippo9
    USAF Retired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links