The "other" breed of firearm owner...ugh.

This is a discussion on The "other" breed of firearm owner...ugh. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been shooting for years. It's always been around people who hold great respect for their weapons, believe they are tools, not toys, and take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "other" breed of firearm owner...ugh.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

The "other" breed of firearm owner...ugh.

I've been shooting for years. It's always been around people who hold great respect for their weapons, believe they are tools, not toys, and take safety and training very seriously. Then I joined the military, so I'm pretty much around the same people. The firing range I shot at back home in WA was the same way. People who go to improve, train, and are safe. That's my breed, and what I believe is the breed of most of the members here.

I have always shot when it's not busy here in CA. I usually see the same people. They are of the same breed.

I go today, and it's busy. A few people look like they know what they are doing, and in the lane next to me, there is "the other" breed. My day is not going so well to begin with...they have the air conditioner on high, and since I was on the end, the air deflecting off the walls kept blowing my target around.

So..."the other" breed. 2 guys and a girl. They have an M4gery, a synthetic stock repeating .22 with an empty picattiny rail blocking the sights, a pump shotgun with a light attached, and a two tone pistol of some sort. This is an indoor, 25 yard max range. Why in hell would you have rifles here? I can hit COM at 300 yards standing...500 yards prone pretty easily using iron sights. But they were shooting at 10 yards. With small caliber rifles. I could probably put it through the same hole every time. And these guys are all over the paper. Rapid fire every time, didn't know how to use the sling (one guy had a piece of a 3 point sling over each shoulder). Then they blast the shotgun at 7 yards, still all over. The guy is playing with his pistol and a flashlight behind the firing line.

I would have kicked them out if I were the range master. If not for safety violations, then for just being stupid and having little to no firearm knowledge/skill. I can't believe these people exist. It's like they own guns simply because they think it's cool and fun to put holes randomly into paper.

I went through about 100 rounds during the hour I was there and couldn't take it anymore. 25 slow fire, 25 rapid fire on small circle targets at different ranges, then another 50 firing 2 shots quickly from the holster (about as good as you can get for defensive training at this range).

I hadn't encountered this type of gun owner before, and it pisses me off. Along with the BG's, I think these people give gun owners a bad name.

</rant>

I'm going to clean my pistol.

2. Remove Ads

unfortunately, you run into those types from time to time. I refer to them as "the movie crowd", or the people that base their firearm selection and handling techniques on the movies they go see at the theater, then decide that just because Steven Seagal, or Arnold or Stallone carries it, so should they. Of course, the handling techniques, such as firing from the hip, sideways, loosely held in the hand are all "acceptable techniques as well, because after all, "they" do it. They also give us true gun owners a bad name. A lucky few, however will learn in time the err of their ways, or if they are luckier, they will see someone who competes quite often and can really throw the lead, and they will be encouraged to actually learn how to handle all of those cool weapons they purchased.

We can only hope.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    Was this your first trip to a public range? They infest these places... I refuse to go to public ranges because of them. I've found that members dues are well worth it and the private joints. A little bit of cash tends to keep the riff raff out.

LOL, yeah, I think of them as the movie crowd or video game dorks too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    I can't believe these people exist
    Your rant is very justified and sorry, yes they do exist - (sadly)... I cringe whenever I see them and for sure if I am on RSO duty they will not get much sympathy from me. They are the ''look - I got guns - ain't I wonderful'' .......... and have little thought for safety or responsible useage overall.

Along with the BG's, I think these people give gun owners a bad name.
    Yes I feel they do - you only have to go searching on YouTube to find cringe-worthy examples of these maroons displaying their ''prowess''

Not much we can do tho - except keep trying to educate folks the right way. It's an uphill battle sad to say.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Was this your first trip to a public range? They infest these places... I refuse to go to public ranges because of them. I've found that members dues are well worth it and the private joints. A little bit of cash tends to keep the riff raff out.

LOL, yeah, I think of them as the movie crowd or video game dorks too.
    I have a membership at this range, but I've only been about 6 times, and always when there's almost no one there. I have very little exposure to these kinds of people. I'm not saying they should have their right to own firearms taken away...I just wish those who take on the responsibility of gun ownership would also educate themselves.

I dont know how to find private ranges :/

Administrator
    Here ya go, this is a good place to start; http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    You'll see the same thing at the public outdoor range (unmanned) in the Ocala (FL) National Forest (God I don't miss that state!). Every poster child for the Brady Bunch shoots there every weekend. Every Wednesday, the range closes and a local MGySgt volunteers to replace the wooden target frames, clean the brass, the crapper, the shotgun range and all the plinking debris (from gas cans to soda cans, aerosols, etc.). By Saturday at noon the whole place is trashed. Last February, a two-tour decorated vet was killed by a riccochet from a nimrod shooting at a flat-facing sheet of pig iron. The guy who survived two tours in the sandbox gets it from a local idiot. Go figure.

Too bad the rangemaster at your range didn't kick out the clowns. I am grateful I found a private range about 40 miles east of my home. $10 per year, full family membership for a pistol side, trap and rifle out to 400 yards! Sure, it's a bit primative, but the members self-police and the ninny's aren't there! Stay safe!!!!!!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    You'll see the same thing at the public outdoor range (unmanned) in the Ocala (FL) National Forest (God I don't miss that state!). Every poster child for the Brady Bunch shoots there every weekend. Every Wednesday, the range closes and a local MGySgt volunteers to replace the wooden target frames, clean the brass, the crapper, the shotgun range and all the plinking debris (from gas cans to soda cans, aerosols, etc.). By Saturday at noon the whole place is trashed. Last February, a two-tour decorated vet was killed by a riccochet from a nimrod shooting at a flat-facing sheet of pig iron. The guy who survived two tours in the sandbox gets it from a local idiot. Go figure.
    You should know to bring your vest and helmet when going out there, sometimes you even see "rainbow people" creeping out from the woods. I went there twice, the first time was on a week day with one of my friends we were the only ones out there. The second and last time was on a weekend, there was just way too much going wrong for my comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I hadn't encountered this type of gun owner before, and it pisses me off. Along with the BG's, I think these people give gun owners a bad name.
    I think you've been quite fortunate, or myself and folks I know and the ROs at public ranges where I've trained have been extremely unfortunate.

From my own experience I'd say those people are at numbers somewhere in the area of 1 in 3. :(
    They are all over the place giving the rest of us and the sport overall a bad name.
    In ranges, at hunting lodges, and in every third persons cousins/uncles/brothers/boyfriends/coworkers backyard.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'll admit it i let video games dictate my initial choices when it came to guns. I was at a local range and trying out guns i wanted to buy. I just had to try out the p229 because it was my favorite gun in Counter Strike. I didn't care for it, the brass kept hitting me(range gun, probably needed to be cleaned), and never made another decision like that again.

Afterwards i did my own firearms research. Bought a fabulous gun based on customer reviews, going down to the gunshop and seeing how it felt in the hand.

I also found out real quick that shooting in a game is nothing like real life.

I'd like to think that i am no longer "one of those" people.

I shoot a fair amount at a public indoor range but I have to give them credit for good range enforcement. They have a video system on the line and they really do monitor it. In several years there I've only left the line once. Put down my pistol and walked out to talk to the monitor. He was already border line on asking them to leave and sided with me, he also apologized for their behavior. I guess places like this must be gettin' rare. The private ranges in my area are just too far away right now so I'll stick with these folks for now.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    I'll admit it i let video games dictate my initial choices when it came to guns. I was at a local range and trying out guns i wanted to buy. I just had to try out the p229 because it was my favorite gun in Counter Strike. I didn't care for it, the brass kept hitting me(range gun, probably needed to be cleaned), and never made another decision like that again.

Afterwards i did my own firearms research. Bought a fabulous gun based on customer reviews, going down to the gunshop and seeing how it felt in the hand.

I also found out real quick that shooting in a game is nothing like real life.

I'd like to think that i am no longer "one of those" people.
    Congrats on "seeing the light". But how could you not love a Sig! lol

Well as a person who loves to shoot USPSA and IDPA, High Power Rifle and Trap I love to spray bullets from time to time and it is fun, legal and did I say fun? Although I use an Ak when I go an have fun I feel that it is valid and perfectly ok to go and spray bullets from time to time if it is fun for you.
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

But I'm sure you don't flag the range with your muzzle, joke around with your weapon, etc. You spray bullets downrange responsibly :p

DC Founder
    My experience has always been that around Christmas (usually after Christmas) is about the worst time to go to the range. Too many inexperienced people with unfamiliar guns they got for Christmas. Last year I made the mistake of going to a range that I have a paid membership to where they sell "full auto experiences". While a range officer stays right with them while they have possession, they still scare the heck out of you being a lane or two down.

Afterward, they were shooting a couple of pistols and after getting swept by their muzzles a couple of times, I walked down and let the range officer, who had moved down to another area, that he needed to come keep an eye on them. When I left, he had pulled them back behind the line and was having a talk with them. I now try to go when it's not prime time....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links