New guy here, few questions

This is a discussion on New guy here, few questions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone. I am new to the forums. I am a n.c. ccw holder and currently carry an S&W 642. I had put a Springfield ...

Thread: New guy here, few questions

New guy here, few questions

Hi everyone. I am new to the forums. I am a n.c. ccw holder and currently carry an S&W 642. I had put a Springfield Armory, 1911 micro-compact on layaway a few weeks ago. I pick it up tomorrow. This is my first 1911 style handgun. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Forst off, does anyone own one of these, and if so, whats your opinion of it? Question #2, I have never fired or handled a 1911 style before and I was told that it will only fore if you cock the hammer manually, is this true? Pulling the trigger with the hammer down, does nothing? Am I mistaken? I was told the stock magazones are not good, what kind of mags does everyone suggest? Are all 1911 aftermarket sights the same size or do I need sights specifically made for the micro? It has a bull barrel, what is that? Anyway, thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it and look forward to becoming a productive forum contributor.

2. Remove Ads

AMH
    I am not familiar enough with 1911 style weapons, so I will leave your questions to a more knowledgeable member.

But, I do want to welcome you.

WELCOME!
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Administrator
    Get ready for a info overload... yes, a lot of people here have 1911's. They are fine weapons.

There are better mags out there than the stock... Wilson seems to be the best imo. You will get plenty of good suggestions and advice here, and a few bad ones.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    The 1911 is a single action gun, pulling the trigger will only cause one action (if cocked), the falling of the hammer.

A double action gun, pulling the trigger will cock and release the hammer.

You do not have to cock the hammer on follow up shots, the slide does that for you.

Chambering the gun from empty, (inserting the magazine and cycling the slide) will also cock the hammer.

Go to Springfields website and download the users manual.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm looking to buy a Kimber Ultra CDP II so I'm interested in learning about what mags to purchase as well. Let's hear it guys.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Lead Moderator
    1911's need to be cocked back to fire. Called condition 1. Cocked and safety on or C'N'lL (cocked and locked) is common carry for 1911 pattern gun.
    Springfield mags seem to be just fine. Cobra, Tripp , Wilson and Chip McCormick mags also seem to work well.
    The sights are common(I believe) and can be changed out, however is probably best left to a smith.
    A Bull barrel, means it has no barrel bushing ,like the full size original design. A bull barrel is thicker than a standard barrel, but works fine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I really lost on this magazine thing. Why aren't the factory mags flawless? I mean, I have Glocks and a Beretta and those work perfectly. I wouldn't buy an aftermarket mag for them so why do we for 1911s? Thanks
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    I really lost on this magazine thing. Why aren't the factory mags flawless? I mean, I have Glocks and a Beretta and those work perfectly. I wouldn't buy an aftermarket mag for them so why do we for 1911s? Thanks
    Why buy after market? Cause I want my gun to work correctly. If SA mags did not work , I would buy after market. Kimber mags have a rep. for not always running correctly. I have never owned a Kimber, so no first hand knowledge.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    In my experiences Kimber factory mags (not the Tac-Pro mags) are 50/50.

I also had problems with Colt factory mags.

As for why? beats the snot out of me.

I primarily use mags from Wilson Combat or Tripp Research.

As for differneces in magzine design...well there's a bunch of different designs out there...

I see a photo shoot coming up this evening!

since 1911s are so common, it simply comes down to the fact that there are a lot of manufacturers of the magazines out there. so some are better than others.
    wilson i know makes a good mag. im not sure who else.
    i know a lot of people who were use to double action guns who were confused my the single action, so just to make you got this right:
    yes, pulling the trigger will only cause the hammer to fall, thus it must be cocked. i tell this to people and they look at my gun with great confusion- because it has a bobbed hammer (you cant pull it back, its flush with the gun when not cocked). when you chamber a round, or when you fire, or whenever the slide goes back, it cocks the hammer. so pretty much you load it up and your good to go, its not like you have to pull the hammer back, as many think (there are guns, such as many SAO revolvers, where you do have to do this).
    so anyways, you have chosen a wonderful gun and im sure you will be very happy with it.
    as far as sights go, you need sights that are not necessarily for that gun specifically, but you need the right kind of sights. im not sure about that specific gun so i cant help you there, but if you are looking for new sights just ask a local gunsmith or 1911 person and they can help ya out.

now, since im assuming you will be carrying this gun-
    i am a huge fan of 1911s and carry one as well but there are a few things you must be cautious of. one of the nicest things about them is their light trigger pull. but this must be used with caution. you must ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have the safety on with a round in the chamber. (unless ur ready to shoot of course)
    also, practice practice practice drawing and flipping down the safety.
    you will find that it doesnt take long for this to become second nature, and it in no way slows down your draw time.

i guess thats all i have for now.
    enjoy!

I was thinking about purchasing the Kimber 1911 or KPD(not out yet), for my third pistol, but a lot of the reviews said the Kimbers had a lot of FTE and FTF...Does anybody have first hand knowledge of this or are those reviews biased for some reason?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

ah yes.
    kimbers did have a few problems with their extractors for a while.
    but i can say from first hand experience that mine works wonderfully.
    as does every else's i know (which is a LOT)

Looks like most of your questions have been covered; as for sights, they are not one size fits all. You may be able to find a set that fits in the stock dovetails (assuming yours has a dovetailed front sight), but you will most likely need to get new dovetails cut for whatever sights you choose. It's not cheap unfortunately.

A bull barrel is one that does not use a bushing like a standard 1911. A bull barrel is necessary on a very compact gun because the bushing will bind since the barrel tips up at a steeper angle than the barrel on a longer gun. The main thing is that it makes disassembly a little more complicated, it's not a huge deal though. Good luck with your new pistol and welcome!
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Links