Canada handgun question

This is a discussion on Canada handgun question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't understand this talk of banning handguns in Canada. I thought you already couldn't get a handgun unless you are part of a sanctioned ...

Thread: Canada handgun question

Question Canada handgun question

I don't understand this talk of banning handguns in Canada. I thought you already couldn't get a handgun unless you are part of a sanctioned shooting club/team. Don't even cops have to leave them at work? My confusion comes in because i've heard a lot of people argure that Canadas' homocide rates are less than ours because you can't get guns there. Surely someone here can reliieve me of my ignorance on this matter.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I don't understand this talk of banning handguns in Canada. I thought you already couldn't get a handgun unless you are part of a sanctioned shooting club/team. Don't even cops have to leave them at work? My confusion comes in because i've heard a lot of people argure that Canadas' homocide rates are less than ours because you can't get guns there. Surely someone here can reliieve me of my ignorance on this matter.
    Canadas crime rate 50% HIGHER than US
    http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...4/150547.shtml

As a Canadian that's immigrated to the U.S. for the past 13 yrs, you've got to remember 2 things : Canada has a larger landmass - smaller population.

The U.S. is pushing what now 300+ million?
    Canada is maybe 34+ million on a good day

So....YES it appears there are less homicides (involving guns).........but overall violent crimes are up

The entire handgun issue in Canada as far as I've been told from friends & family still living there is that the Liberal Gov't that had been in power for the past 12yrs believed that is you took the guns away - crime would go away. IN THE BIG URBAN CENTERS like Toronto - Montreal - Quebec City - Ottawa / where unfortunately the majority of the voting population in Canada is - umm - nope.

So they spent billions on a useless gun registration act that basically stated that every Canadian citizen had to register the gun(s) they already owned and if they were on the "bad gun list "- you could still own it without registering it, just never be able to buy ammo for it cause the very idea of having a non-registered gun - you'd contribute to crime that way.

Then to actually BUY a gun/rifle you must pass a hunters safety course, complete the Gov't background checks, wait something like 30 days to pick the damn thing up, register it, then you can buy ammo....but not too much at a time.

All it did was essentially create a black market for guns that criminals bought/traded with ammo smuggled in from the U.S. and disarmed law abiding citizens.

And as far as handguns go, they've always been on the gov't hit list. Yes you can own them (if registered and not on the "bad list"). But to actually use them you have to:

1. Belong to a range/club
    2. Only transport in a locked safe/case w/no ammo anywheres near it - in the trunk is trhe only place I believe
    3. Call the RCMP and TELL them what time your leaving your house....where your going......and what route your taking and how long you'll be there.

Yep that's right. Heaven help you is you stop at a 7-11 for a slurpy.

And yes.....it's that nuts

Not sure right now, but the PC party in power now is trying to "re-write" the law and basically scrap it. Just not sure how successfull they are going to be, but I for one sure hope they do.

And hey the info I'm going on is all the *****'n my hunting friends at home have passed along to me as to thier woes, and my experiences when I lived there. So take it with a grain of salt as to the actuall accuracy. But I know I'm close.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Close enough for me. Thanks
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cupsz71 View Post
    As a Canadian that's immigrated to the U.S. for the past 13 yrs, you've got to remember 2 things : Canada has a larger landmass - smaller population.

The U.S. is pushing what now 300+ million?
    Canada is maybe 34+ million on a good day

So....YES it appears there are less homicides (involving guns).........but overall violent crimes are up

The entire handgun issue in Canada as far as I've been told from friends & family still living there is that the Liberal Gov't that had been in power for the past 12yrs believed that is you took the guns away - crime would go away. IN THE BIG URBAN CENTERS like Toronto - Montreal - Quebec City - Ottawa / where unfortunately the majority of the voting population in Canada is - umm - nope.

So they spent billions on a useless gun registration act that basically stated that every Canadian citizen had to register the gun(s) they already owned and if they were on the "bad gun list "- you could still own it without registering it, just never be able to buy ammo for it cause the very idea of having a non-registered gun - you'd contribute to crime that way.

Then to actually BUY a gun/rifle you must pass a hunters safety course, complete the Gov't background checks, wait something like 30 days to pick the damn thing up, register it, then you can buy ammo....but not too much at a time.

All it did was essentially create a black market for guns that criminals bought/traded with ammo smuggled in from the U.S. and disarmed law abiding citizens.

And as far as handguns go, they've always been on the gov't hit list. Yes you can own them (if registered and not on the "bad list"). But to actually use them you have to:

1. Belong to a range/club
    2. Only transport in a locked safe/case w/no ammo anywheres near it - in the trunk is trhe only place I believe
    3. Call the RCMP and TELL them what time your leaving your house....where your going......and what route your taking and how long you'll be there.

Yep that's right. Heaven help you is you stop at a 7-11 for a slurpy.

And yes.....it's that nuts

Not sure right now, but the PC party in power now is trying to "re-write" the law and basically scrap it. Just not sure how successfull they are going to be, but I for one sure hope they do.

And hey the info I'm going on is all the *****'n my hunting friends at home have passed along to me as to thier woes, and my experiences when I lived there. So take it with a grain of salt as to the actuall accuracy. But I know I'm close.
    Hmm... sounds like Maryland, California, Massachusetts and Illinois

You can probably find out alot here. I stop by and read posts there most times just to remind myself what we can't let happen here and how good we really have it.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/
    My world is the only one that counts

NP Cupcake, I do have a tendancy to "rant" from time to time.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Gottlieb cites an article by Canada's National Post columnist David Frum where he revealed that "Canada's overall crime rate is now 50 percent higher than the crime rate in the United States.”

I'd like to know where Mr. Frum got his stats from? Most of our stats come from, from what I've read lately, the FBI reports or local/state (police)crime reports. Is Canada's crime numbers coming from thier national and local LE departments as well? Or just "roughly compiled numbers"?

I know thier crime wasn't any better than the U.S.'s, but had no idea it was that bad?!? I'm one of the ignorent on this subject as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links