So what do you say?

This is a discussion on So what do you say? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I meet a lot of anti's and I'm sure you all have too. I have problems coming up with responses to their comments sometimes, especially ...

Thread: So what do you say?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

So what do you say?

I meet a lot of anti's and I'm sure you all have too. I have problems coming up with responses to their comments sometimes, especially one liners. How do you respond to the most common anti-gun statements? I listed a few common ones I hear below, just reply on how you would answer or comment on each anti-gun statement in one or two lines. I don't like getting on the defensive about gun ownership i.e. "I'm not paranoid" etc... i'd rather be more offensive with my responses

1. You don't need an AR-15/AK-47 to deer hunt.
    2. You're paranoid.
    3. Guns are designed to kill.
    4. You only make the problem worse by pulling your gun.
    5. Citizens don't need military style weapons.
    6. Citizens don't need handguns.

2. Remove Ads

'Deer hunting' is not mentioned in the 2nd Amendment.

2. You're paranoid.
    Clint Smith has this one covered. "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Alternatively; "I'm not paranoid, you're just not paying attention."

Damn right. That's what makes them such effective self defense weapons.

Pulling a gun worked out pretty well for Jeane Assam.

Then why does the military need them? We are their backup in the unlikely event of an invasion after all.

We need handguns because they're much more portable than police officers.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

1. You don't need a Hummer to get to work.
    2. I'm a good Boy Scout: "Be Prepared."
    3. Yes. A dead rapist/robber/murderer/kidnapper/pedophile is the only good rapist/robber/murderer/kidnapper/pedophile.
    4. Yes. Worse for the rapist...
    5. The military doesn't need military style weapons.
    6. They're only to hold us over til the police arrive with their handguns.

And all that without saying, "Show me where it says that in the Second Amendment."

Assistant Administrator

Don't need one perhaps for that but our second amendment gives us a right to bear arms. These are just variants, which unfortunately have a bad reputation. That of course in the minority of criminal hands. They are NOT machine guns!

2. You're paranoid.

No - just well armed and prepared for contingencies - plus enjoying the sport of shooting recreationally. If paranoia is living prepared to defend the self and loved ones against lethal aggression then OK - I am paranoid.

As a tool this can well be regarded as a prime potential function - well proven yes. Knives kill, clubs kill and so can automobiles, even if the prime purpose of the latter is not such. The tool is as dangerous as the hands operating it. 99.9% plus of law abiding Americans can safely own and use firearms without killing people, tho they may kill when hunting for meat. "Never mind the dog - beware the owner".

Please elaborate?!!! If an armed bad guy has already decided you are dead meat please show me how pulling one's own defensive gun makes anything worse - life or death I call it. If lethal force is threatened - it has to be taken seriously - more so these days when criminals can shoot as a matter of course. Life (of others) is cheap to them.

It is not a question of need - it is a question of freedom under the 2nd amendment. Responsible ownership can be applied to any and all gun platforms - but there are those among a small percentage who will get all types of guns (regardless) and be dangerous.

If they choose to survive under threat of lethal force then yes they do - it is way more effective than anything else. Show a totally effective way to disarm the bad guys - then just maybe the armed citizen (good guy) might not need a weapon It is an individual's personal decision to take responsibility for his or her safety and protection - no one else is going to do it for you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have several for this one my favorite being.
    - you dont need a nice car, watch, boat, vacation, hobbies, wife, children, salary above $40k, you have your hobbies and choices for recreation and being free i have mine.
    2. You're paranoid.
    millions of victims say differently
    It is the individuals who have the tool that decide what the gun is for; Target shooting, Olympic decathalon, hunting etc...FYI Car's are not designed to kill yet kill far more people every year that guns.
    Tell that to over 2 million people each year who's lives are saved by guns. you only see the drama on TV rarelly the hero's
    Read above, your rights only extend until they infringe on mine. I want a gun it is my right.
    read previous responses rinse and repeat.
    My world is the only one that counts

Never get into an argument with the ignorant or mis-informed. That's what I say. I've got about as much need defending my position with the 'anti' crowd as I do discussing my beliefs with a religious fanatic. Save some air. Most of them are a lost cause if you'll ever think to sway them to our side. Educate those on 'middle ground' and you'll be a step ahead of them.

Distinguished Member
    1) You don't need a Escalade (cady) to drive, but some have-um

2) No---paranoid would be someone afraid of me having a gun, I'm the good guy.

3) Guns don't do anything, humans kill.

4) Yes for the GB

5) Your right, I don't think we need tanks.

6) Is everything you own something you NEED?

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Look them in the eye and say, "you need mouthwash, your breath is deadly enough to kill a deer."

...I don't hunt.
    2. You're paranoid.
    ...Thanks for the diagnosis Dr.Phil.
    ...Why yes, yes they are.
    ...Yeah, for the bad guy.
    ...We do if we have to defend against military style weapons.
    ...Maybe Canadian or European citizens don't, but we American citizens do.

VIP Member
    My response is dictated by the person making the statement and my mood. In a group situation if they confront me you betcha I'll cut them right back down and hard. If it is one on one and non-confrontational then I may try to create a convert. If the person is confrontational they likely won't listen to the response anyway. If I believe there are potential converts in the group I will temper my response to try to win some for our side.

Must be working as I taught two of my co-workers a NRA Basic Pistol class this weekend so they can get their concealed handgun permits. The interesting thing is that they are both naturalized citizens. One is from New Zealand and the other is from Singapore. Both countries with bans on private gun ownership.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Never get into an argument with the ignorant or mis-informed.
    I agree! The one big rule I live by is; I will not discuss religion or politics with you as you and I both know, you can not argue with a fool.
    Last edited by JD; December 18th, 2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Removed bold font.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    2. You're paranoid.
    1. Neither did Charles Whitman.
    2. I've worked EMS and corrections; perhaps I'm more in tune with reality.
    3. Yes. They are.
    4. That has not been my experience in responding to multiple shooting incidents.
    5. Military-style weapons are more effective for personal defense.
    6. Citizens don't need to voice opinions that make implementation of government policy more difficult either...

Senior Moderator
    Your right I use an FAL to hunt deer but you don't need a gun to hunt, every state has an archery season so you don't have to have a gun. I thought we were talking about the Second Admendment not hunting?

2. You're paranoid.
    Yes I am, that's why I have Home Owners insurance and Auto insurance and wear a seat belt when I ride in any car. I realize that something might happen, and I guess that makes me paraniod.

No guns a designed to propel a projectile in a controled direction at a high rate of speed. But guns like any other weapon from a club to a nuclear bomb were invented to allow humans to fight better.

How can I make the rape and murder of my wife and childern worse?

Every weapon from the Longbow to the musket was invented for some military

True and citizens don't need welfare, food stamps, social security, public housing, highways, consumer saftey commissions or any from of goverment for that matter. A Citizens only need is to be free
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Links