Massachusetts High Court Rules That Homeowners Must Lock Up Their Guns - Page 3

Massachusetts High Court Rules That Homeowners Must Lock Up Their Guns

This is a discussion on Massachusetts High Court Rules That Homeowners Must Lock Up Their Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My comment about this being "old news" is that >1 year ago it was discussed at length in The Outdoor Message, the monthly newspaper of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Massachusetts High Court Rules That Homeowners Must Lock Up Their Guns

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    My comment about this being "old news" is that >1 year ago it was discussed at length in The Outdoor Message, the monthly newspaper of Gun Owners Action League (GOAL). The meaning of this ruling has been also discussed extensively with the staff of GOAL, amongst ourselves (gun owners, gun club members), and on various firearms boards.

MGL Ch. 140 S. 131L
    http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131l.htm

Chapter 140: Section 131L. Weapons stored or kept by owner; inoperable by any person other than owner or lawfully authorized user; punishment

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.
    Chief Ron Glidden along with Atty John M. Collins writes a book called "Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law", sub-titled "A practical guide for police on Massachusetts and federal firearms law." The book is revised annually with any updates. [It is used in the Police Academy (known as POST in most states, MA is different ) to train police officers, chiefs and those that issue firearms licenses.]

From Ron's Notes at the end of this section (Ch. 140 S. 131L) in his book:

Criteria for Storage: There is no criteria for storage other than that the gun stored or kept must be secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper proof locking device. This means that a soft case with a padlock meets the criteria just as well as an expensive gun safe. Likewise a trigger lock (no requirement for it to be state approved) or cable lock will serve as well as a locked cabinet. Also, glass front furniture style gun cabinets are acceptable providing they are capable of being locked.

Other Locked Containers: Many questions have arisen regarding locked rooms. The Executive Office of Public Safety has stated that a locked room that prohibits unauthorized access will meet the criteria for a locked container. However, a person can not lock his house and consider the entire house a locked container.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    "Rivers had a history of violent criminal activity and was a paranoid schizophrenic."

So what in the heck was he doing out of prison?
    EXACTLY!! This is above ridiculous!
    I cant believe some court ruled for this law!

So, what about if a BG steals your car cuz it wasnt in the garage? He steals it and runs over an old lady.

What if a BG breaks into your home and rapes your daughter, are they going to pass a law to hold you at fault for not having bars on the windos, or not locking your door?

These idiots fail to see that it is the actions of the BG that got someone killed? I cant believe this is from an AMERICAN STATE :(

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I cant believe this is from an AMERICAN STATE :(
    It's NOT!

It's from the Commie-wealth of My-ass-a-chusetts!

I have a difficult time reading about this crap. It makes my blood boil! Those who would be light on the criminal and heavy on the honest guy...

Can you imagine new SCOTUS justices being appointed from MA by Hillary? This garbage would just be the beginning...

Stay armed...vote...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Another example of government crossing the line of common sense.Punish
    the offender not the whole population!

We had "safe storage" legislation pending in Maine. Legislatures poopooed it, stating that it would make victims into criminals, amongst other things.

Amazing that "secure" in MA can be a locked door to a room, yet not a door to a house??!

Next time I'm in MA I'll be sure to hug a criminal. Please form two lines, criminals to the left for hugs, gun owners to the right as they wait to become criminals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links