How many have to get a permit to BUY a gun? - Page 3

How many have to get a permit to BUY a gun?

This is a discussion on How many have to get a permit to BUY a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some of this stuff vexes me....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many have to get a permit to BUY a gun?

Some of this stuff vexes me.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    In Massachusetts you need a FID or LTC to purchase ANY GUNS
    including Private Sales

Cost
    NRA training certificate $90 to $150
    Club Membership $200 to $250 year ( REQUIRED in some Cities in MA including Boston )
    FEE To State for License $100
    Letters of references = upto 3 required
    Total $390 to $500 + LETTERS
    Some cities requires upto 3 letters of references.

and all this still does NOT guarantee that you will get a Class A LTC that allows you to CARRY CONCEALED outside your home or work.

I allways kinda thought yalls liberal politicians were racist and this shows it . When you couple the amount for a permit , a reliable handgun , and the social programs ( welfare ) that keep poor ( predominantly minority folks ) in the " hood " instead of educating them into a work skill.... Its little wonder that some cannot legally defend themselves and some turn criminal in order to be able to . Not every young minority lad caught with an " illegal pistol" is a drug dealer or a gang banger, some are carrying for the same reasons you and i do , its just that doing it legally is a pipe dream for them .

Sorry for the rant , but the whole concept of qualify to buy just chapps my redneck a..... ermmm hide .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Squawker - When I was in California and bought guns, I never had anything but an ID card and proof of residency. Maybe since I'm military I get a freebie on that one, but I was shopping in Orange County and never saw anybody else in the store producing cards to prove that stuff. Bought two handguns in the 10 months I was there FWIW.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    I allways kinda thought yalls liberal politicians were racist and this shows it . When you couple the amount for a permit , a reliable handgun , and the social programs ( welfare ) that keep poor ( predominantly minority folks ) in the " hood " instead of educating them into a work skill.... Its little wonder that some cannot legally defend themselves and some turn criminal in order to be able to . Not every young minority lad caught with an " illegal pistol" is a drug dealer or a gang banger, some are carrying for the same reasons you and i do , its just that doing it legally is a pipe dream for them .

Sorry for the rant , but the whole concept of qualify to buy just chapps my redneck a..... ermmm hide .

I do believe Massachusetts "MAY ISSUE" LTC issuing policy is racist/sexist

you are correct, some minorities, ( Blacks, Latinos, Asians etc. ) carry for protection illegally because they are denied a LTC by the system to legally protect themselves, so I can't blame them in a sense when they carry "illegally" guess some say , " Rather be judge by 12 than carried by 6 " . I can't blame them for taking the risk, possession chasrge over defenselessness.

If you check the Mass map I posted, you will see that the Red ( denied areas) are predominately where Minorities have a large population.

Me. Permit is required for purchase in Connecticut.

Ohio doesn't require a permit to purchase a handgun just the normal paper work and call.
    My world is the only one that counts

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Me. Permit is required for purchase in Connecticut.
    X2. Most reputable gun shops will require that you produce a permit prior to handling a hand gun, but Cabela's just hands them over to anyone.

Additionally, to do a private hand gun sale in CT, you must get approval from the state after providing them with both seller's and buyer's permit numbers. The state will then give you an approval number. The seller is required to provide a copy to the buyer, his local pd, buyers local pd, and keep his copy on file for 20 years.

No fee involved though.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

No purchase permit required in Virginia.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Texas....
    Walk into the store, pick out the gun you want, show your Texas DL, fill-out the paperwork, 5 to 10 minute call for a background check, (unless you have a CCL) then no background check needed. I've purchased 5 pistols in the last 2 years and the longest it's taken me is around 10 minutes. Excluding the weeks agonizing over which one to buy.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Indiana is good to go!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

That's right Benny. 4473 and $$$, that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Unless laws have changed in WA since I was last home you don't need a permit/license to buy a gun there. I never had one...

Austin
    Yes. And since I have a concealed permit with me, my store will let me purchase handguns and take them home in a single visit....3 min wait.

'Corse my store also sold the DC sniper's weapon with no record of the sale.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Here in Oklahoma we don't need a permit to purchase a handgun but on one occasion needing a permit to purchase a handgun helped me to stop a robbery. I was in the Air Force at Pope AFB in NC. I also worked part time at Cumberland Knife and Gun. This was during the 80's and there was not provision for CCW except in a private store or on personal property. You also needed a permit to purchase handgun and we required customers to show one before taking a hand gun out of the case. (with Fort Bragg next door there were to many window shoppers not to). I had a regular customer looking for a Custom 1911 with Packmeyer grips. He was a good guy so I took my own Lawson custom .45 out unloaded it and handed it to him with his wife standing next to him. As he finished looking at it and handed it back to me a black guy came in the front door with a bowling bag and a .410 snake charmer sticking out. As he walked up to me the regular customer handed me my own .45 back and as I asked the guy with the snake charmer what I could do for him I jacked a round in the chamber of my .45. The black guy sucked a little wind and asked how much .410 ammo was. I told him and he said never mind and turned around and left the store. He robbed Bragg Pawn just down the street a few minutes later. I didn't realize it until I read the Sunday paper and called the police after reading the description. He stole 36 handguns and was later caught in NYC selling them. He was one lucky/stupid fellow. There were 8 of us working in the shop that day and all of us were carrying. Most of us were either combat trained or competitive shooters. That single shot would not have done him much good. Of course that single shot wouldn't have done me much good either. Now I'm not advocating needing a permit to purchase. The national instant check system pretty much takes the place of what the NC system would do anyway.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Good story, ridurall.
    Time and place... time & place.

NC

Here, with a CCW no permit. If I order a pistol from one of my dealers, transaction takes less than 10 minutes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links