How many have to get a permit to BUY a gun?

This is a discussion on How many have to get a permit to BUY a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This article got me thinking so I did a little research on NE law : http://www.ketv.com/news/14880200/detail.html Paying particular attention to the bolded sections. OMAHA, Neb. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many have to get a permit to BUY a gun?

How many have to get a permit to BUY a gun?

This article got me thinking so I did a little research on NE law:
    http://www.ketv.com/news/14880200/detail.html

Paying particular attention to the bolded sections.
    OMAHA, Neb. -- Applications for permits to buy handguns have more than doubled in Douglas County since the Westroads Mall shootings.

More than 100 applications have gone through the sheriff's office since the shootings.

After the nine deaths at Von Maur, people spoke repeatedly of the shock, fear and helplessness that they felt. The sentiment appeared in KETV.com's forum about the shootings." One poster wrote on Dec. 8: "I went out shopping yesterday for the first time since this happened. I visited four stores and I have to say it was a very daunting task. I was so nervous."
    sponsor

Some residents may be responding to their fear, filling out handgun permits and signing up for target practice.

"What we're seeing now is people wanting to defend themselves, be able to defend themselves," said Douglas County Chief Deputy Marty Bilek.

Bilek said his department issued 43 certifications in the week before the shootings -- in the week following, they issued 105.

"This is the largest spike we've ever seen," Bilek said.

Interest in concealed-carry permits is also up, though not as much, Douglas County reported.

The National Safety Council Omaha Chapter said it had canceled several training courses the last few months, but not in December.

"People are always concerned. They're just sad that it happened in Omaha, and I think they always want to know what they can do to help," said National Safety Council Omaha Chapter President Kay Farrell.

Some law enforcement officers said they are concerned, noting that people should have the right to own handguns, but those people also need to understand the risks and liabilities involved.

Bilek said that's why deputies heavily screen those who want a permit.

"For people who have sound judgment, and for people who have the proper training," Bilek said.

While permits to buy handguns may be up in Douglas County, they're not necessarily up elsewhere. Sarpy County, for example, said it has seen a small increase in permits issued, but they said it always goes up during the holidays because some people want to buy guns as gifts.
    So....what they're saying is that you folks in NE have to go to the sheriff and purchase a permit and do training just to PURCHASE a firearm? ***? Are we to rename NE to Nebraskastan?

http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/Leg...ge=s6924004000

Section 69-2404
    Certificate; application; fee.

Any person desiring to purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun shall apply with the chief of police or sheriff of the applicant's place of residence for a certificate. The application may be made in person or by mail. The application form and certificate shall be made on forms approved by the Superintendent of Law Enforcement and Public Safety. The application shall include the applicant's full name, social security number, address, date of birth, and country of citizenship. If the applicant is not a United States citizen, the application shall include the applicant's place of birth and his or her alien or admission number. If the application is made in person, the applicant shall also present a current Nebraska motor vehicle operator's license, state identification card, or military identification card, or if the application is made by mail, the application form shall describe the license or card used for identification and be notarized by a notary public who has verified the identification of the applicant through such a license or card. An applicant shall receive a certificate if he or she is twenty-one years of age or older and is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun by 18 U.S.C. 922. A fee of five dollars shall be charged for each application for a certificate to cover the cost of a criminal history record check.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

It's not an issue in TN. The state does require a $10 background check by the TBI which usually only takes a few minutes and you can take your new firearm home.

"Ain't it good to be alive and be in Tennessee."
    Charlie Daniels

Merry Christmas!
    What, me worry?

Senior Moderator
    Not a problem in Alabama
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

New York

In New York State your not even supposed to handle a pistol until you have a permit. $150 and 6 to 12 months later you can get one.

In Massachusetts you need a FID or LTC to purchase ANY GUNS
    including Private Sales

Cost
    NRA training certificate $90 to $150
    Club Membership $200 to $250 year ( REQUIRED in some Cities in MA including Boston )
    FEE To State for License $100
    Letters of references = upto 3 required
    Total $390 to $500 + LETTERS
    Some cities requires upto 3 letters of references.

and all this still does NOT guarantee that you will get a Class A LTC that allows you to CARRY CONCEALED outside your home or work.

Last edited by ibez; December 19th, 2007 at 12:25 AM.

In MN to buy a handgun you need a permit to purchase which is free from your local police department. It takes up to 10 days to do a background check. Or you need a permit to carry.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

In Arizona you don't need a permit just to purchase. If you have a current concealed carry permit, that counts for the instant background check.

You don't have to do anything for a private sale, although I wouldn't sell a gun to someone I didn't know.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Source: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=74

States that does not require permit or license to purchase handguns.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado , Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Lousiana, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, ( added these ) Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    Source: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=74

States that does not require permit or license to purchase handguns.

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado , Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Lousiana, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont.

Virginia is missing from your list.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I second that. We're still a private sale state. Although, at the rate Kaine is going that might not hold out long.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

We used to have PTAs (permit to acquire) in Missouri. Fortunately we got rid of that law just this past summer. In fact just 2 weeks ago I bought my first non PTA handgun. It was very liberating.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Nope, not in Texas, you just go into the store pick out what you want, fill out the form 4473, they call for the background check, (unless you have a CHL, then no call for the check), you give them the money. Done deal. No asking the sherriff, or filling out some state form, or waiting for however many days, or any crap like that.

Most stores won't let you walk out with the gun and ammo, they walk it to the front door then hand it over, BUT, from what I have found, if you have your CHL, they give you both the ammo and the gun at the gun counter, and you get to meander around the store with a new gun and box of ammo in your hands.

I am beginning to love my state more and more, the longer I am on this forum. Thanks Bumper for allowing us the forum, and the ability to see what we have and others don't.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Thanks for catching my mistake

I didnt scroll the entire page and missed 3 states names.
    added

when I lived in Michigan I had to get a purchase permit before buying a handgun. If i would of had a CCW I would have been allowed to buy a handgun without a purchase permit. even then you still have to go back to register it. ohh wait "saftey inspected"

Now living in Indiana its great, walk in pay the money fill out the forms and depending on how much jaw jacking you do your out in 20/30 minutes.

VIP Member
    Nc you do for handguns.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links