Walther PPK /Bond.....James Bond

Walther PPK /Bond.....James Bond

This is a discussion on Walther PPK /Bond.....James Bond within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had some fun at the range last night. A new female member brought in 3 guns to try and decide what would work best for ...

Thumbs up Walther PPK /Bond.....James Bond

Had some fun at the range last night.

A new female member brought in 3 guns to try and decide what would work best for her CCW and had our SRO (senior range officer) giver her some basics on all three:

1. S&W 638 .38 Spec. w/ CT grips
    2. Taurus Millennium Pro PT-111 9mm
    3. Walther PPK .380 auto

I admittedly causually hovered around her lane with interest because my wife has decided to get her CCP early next yr, and I've been look'n for a smaller compact gun for her.......and here I could observe three of some I was considering anyways.

The SRO started her off easy with a target at about 4yrds, and let her loose with the S&W. - Ummm.. not much luck.
    So after determining she "hated" the S&W even with the CT lazer grips - moved on to the Taurus - pretty much the same result - she didn't like the recoil on it.

Not to be detered she turned to the SRO and myself and offered for us to try them and see what we thought - So we did. He liked the S&W and myself, the Taurus, which worked out cause the wife wants an automatic anyways.

Lastly she moved to the Walther & made the comment "Isn't this the gun James Bond has?" We both laughed. "Yep, pretty sure it's Bond's gun."

oh for al you Bond fans - I know he originally used I believe a Beretta 418, but it's the PPK from the movies I'm familiar with- so cut me some slack ok?"

she handed it to me. - "try it."

Now some quick things I observed:
    1. Pretty sure it was a older PPK pre 86'(safety lever design)
    2. High the possibillity of "slide bite" due to the very small beaver tail, and the overall small size of the gun itself compared to my large "mitts".
    3. Old "iron" sights
    4. Was definately used & wasn't very clean, so jamming was a possibility, but overall in good shape

So taking that into carefull consideration, and the fact I've always wanted to shoot "Bond's Gun" and now I have the opening music blaring in my head...... Bond...James Bond....Oh do pay attention 007- Vodka Martini, Shaken to stirred........

I proceeded to take aim, and blasted thru 2 6rnd mags, and shot better with those 12 shots, than I had all night with my 92FS!!! - (ok -4yrds vs. 10yrds whrere my own targets were at)

Holy crap! I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE!!!!!!!!

It never fails : every time I go to the range, my list of guns I want is getting longer.......and longer........

( I'm think'n now.......that Walther.....sure would be a good choice in gun for the wife.......) DOUGH!!!!!

oh, the women who kind enough to let me shoot it, luv'd it to. It's her choice for her CCW.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Interesting little gun

I've had a PPK .380 for about 10 years, buying it as a novelty because of the James Bond connection and because it looks good. I have shot it occasionally at the range and it is quite accurate for a small gun. I also carried it a few times in a Bianchi #6 IWB suede holster. It is a very thin gun and easy to conceal.

My only reservation is that the .380 caliber is a little marginal for self defense and I prefer something more powerful. But for a gun first sold in 1928 to still be popular today is quite remarkable. PPKs are appealing and many people still use them for carry.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I have one of the newer S&W versions. It is thin and disappears as a ccw, of course the .380 is very marginal. It is very accurate to shoot. I don't carry mine as much anymore since I got a G27 and Colt Defender, though depending on my clothes I sometimes choose it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

I have two PPK/S pistols.

One of them is in my IWB every day.

One is a West German made blued one that is beautifly built and finished. It is a bit fussy about ammo - but it shoots the Federal HS rounds flawlessly so I carried it for nearly a year.

Then I came across a used stainless S&W PPK/S that had been modified to have Novak sights on it. It was irresistable. I bought it on the spot. I retired the W. German made one to the safe, take it out a couple of times a year to shoot it. The W. German one is smaller than the S&W copy - a bit thinner, a bit shorter because it doesn't have the beavertail. On the other hand, the S&W version is more plesant to shoot, draws less blood from slide cuts, and the stanless steel stands up to the rigors of every day carry better.

The next upgrade for the S&W version will be to add CT grips to it in a couple of weeks.

The S&W version is "almost" the perfect carry gun. It is easy to handle it safely because it can be loaded, unloaded and cleared with the safety on. The odds of accidential discharge are close to zero. It is thin, flat, easy to conceal with a capital "C" (very important to me), eats anything I feed it including my reloads for practice ammo, is reliable as gravity - it has never had a miss feed, jam, failure to fire, or stove pipe in nearly 2,000 rounds.

It is amazingly accurate for such a short barreled pistol. It will hold under 2" at 45' all day, every day, if I do my part. That is "good enough".

So what's not perfect? Two things. First, I wish it was a 9mmP in power. Second, I wish the slide could be locked open with out having to have an empty magazine in it. Clearning it for inspection by a LEO, should that ever happen, it isn't possible to hand it to them with the action open unless one has an empty magazine to put in it.

If I ever find a 9mmP that is as good as this PPS/S, and as easy to conceal as this PPK/S, I'll buy it in a heart beat.

That said, if I could have any gun I wanted, I'd probably choose a Wilson Sentinel in .45ACP.

Fitch

Sponsor
    My wife just got me a PPK/S for Christmas in .380, god I love that woman. Your right, I've already put over 150 rounds thru it last weekend and it is accurate as hell. But my Kimber Ultra Carry II is my most favorite, I guess I'm still partial to a .45acp for defensive purposes.

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

Older German made PPK's in .380 are getting pretty scarce. And demanding a premium price now a days. And IMHO... they are the real ones and the only ones to get. The PP also is a fine gun, also harder to find in .380.

9mm alternative to PPK

Although I like the PPK as an accurate and concealable gun, I have found an alternative gun that isn't much larger but provides 9mm capability instead of .380. It is the Kahr MK9, which has about the same footprint as the PPK and only slightly more thickness and weight. The Kahr conceals as easily as the PPK, but gives you about 350 ft-lbs. of muzzle energy compared to the 200 ft-lbs. of the Walther .380. The 6+1 capacity of both guns is the same, and both seem equally accurate.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Although I like the PPK as an accurate and concealable gun, I have found an alternative gun that isn't much larger but provides 9mm capability instead of .380. It is the Kahr MK9, which has about the same footprint as the PPK and only slightly more thickness and weight. The Kahr conceals as easily as the PPK, but gives you about 350 ft-lbs. of muzzle energy compared to the 200 ft-lbs. of the Walther .380. The 6+1 capacity of both guns is the same, and both seem equally accurate.
    Thanks for the head to head comparison. I will have to look for an MK9 to shoot. I tried a PM9 and didn't like it. The MK is heavier and just might work better for me.

Thanks
    Fitch

My only reservation is that the .380 caliber is a little marginal for self defense and I prefer something more powerful.
    Virtually all SD encounters are between 0-7 yards. The .380 is plenty powerful enough in those ranges to take care of business. Especially in regards to recoil sensitive shooters. In fact, I feel well-protected with a .32ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post

Had a PPK, didn't like it...bad manufacturing...not like the early ones. Can bite...ouch! Sent it back to the manufacturer...was melted down and redone with same serial number (with a letter explaining such) (they agreed it was not 'right'). Sold it as new...bye, bye.

I have been looking at a Kahr MK9...would appear to make a great pocket 9mm...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Congrats on the PPK/S. I still carry one from time to time.

Buffalo Bore makes some 380 ammo thats pretty decent specs.

100gr. Hard-Cast FN @ 1125 fps 280 ft/lbs

Thier 32 ammo comes in at 220 ft/lbs

I have a boatload of trigger time on my ppk, and wouldnt be afraid to carry it knowing how I can shoot it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I still want the PPK, and am still considering it for a smaller CCW for myself now.
    Over XMAS I bought the wife a new BERSA Thunder in .380 and she's luv'n it.

I had a choice when I bought it that day:
    1. SIG 232 - used $550
    2. BERSA Thunder - New $310
    3. WALTHER PPK - used $590
    4. BERETTA Cheetah 84 - used $500
    (all in .380Auto)

She looked at all 4, held them, aimed them - worked the slide/mags - looked at the safety features (she's a pretty knowledgeable gal) and picked the BERSA. SHe liked everything about it.
    But what I found the most surprising was that the BERSA "bit" her hand when she was working the slide and sliced her pretty good. It didn't upset her, she admitted she was clumsy in her grip....but later admitted to me she wasn't going to let the BERSA get the better of her....and that was the final.

SO..... I bought it & ordered an extra Mag as well.

Yes I'm aware that it WAS the cheapest, but I've also done my homework and everything I've found said the little gun was comparable to the SIG in all areas except the price.

We went to the range last Fri, set her up a target at about 5 yrds and let her blast away, and we're off again this Fri for our "date nite"
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Links