MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL

This is a discussion on MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Chooie MA has reciprocity with... nobody. There may be states that honor MA's permit, but MA honors no permit but its own. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    MA has reciprocity with... nobody. There may be states that honor MA's permit, but MA honors no permit but its own.
    Talking about my Real Estate license in that instance.
    Regards,

Dean

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Dean,

A good read of MGL will show you that the "List" is an "anti-dealer" ploy. It prohibits MA Dealers from transferring, but does NOT prohibit ownership or private transfers (limited to 4/year) at all.

Carry whatever you wish. Most of my handguns aren't on the EOPS List and never will be.

You can bring your guns with you when you move, in which case there will be NO requirement to register anything you move in with, but if you leave them in FL until you get your LTC, you will be forced (by law) to register all the ones you bring in after moving.

You can use/buy/possess pre-ban hi-caps. Our AWB and mag-ban are mirrors of the expired Fed Ban.

You'll never see too many more guns on the approved List, as most of the mfrs "kissed off" MA and their "inmates" (have no rights here, thus not citizens of the US of A). The AG Regs and the refusal of the AG to "approve" ANY handguns keeps the mfrs away. There are only 16 handgun mfrs on the approved list and a very small sub-set of what they make in most cases.

I wouldn't consider MA "prime location" to sell RE. My contacts (a number of long-time RE agents) tell me houses aren't selling here in the suburbs (I stay out of Boston proper as much as possible).

If you want more info on current market here, contact me via Email (not PM) from this forum (just make the subject obvious that it's not spam/junk). A good friend is recent past president of the Mass Assn of Realtors and I can put the two of you in contact with each other.

Good luck! I still say, look at Southern NH at least wrt living there.

LenS is dead on, IMHO.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I say, if you're gonna be doing business in MA, and you dont want a NR license, its BEST to get a residence in MASS ( find a gun-friendly town )
    Because if you move to NH, you're still LIMITED to "peaceful journey" with your weapons when you're in MA ( Boston... etc )

If you're thinking about housing-cost now, then its best to live in NH and get the NR firearm permit and commute.

summary: Get a NR permit, or live in MA if you're doing business here and want to CC

Janq, thank you.

I do have a fair amount of expertise in this area, regrettably. I've been testifying at State House anti-gun hearings for >20 years, served as Legislative Chairman for 3 different gun clubs for approximately as long, attended a number of LE seminars on gun laws and brought the expert (Chief Ron Glidden) to a gun club (so members could get the straight scoop) 4 times since the law changed in 1998.

For Dean:

As much as I hate lining the pockets of our enemies, I strongly suggest that you order the following book from the Municipal Police Institute (an arm of the anti-gun Mass Chiefs of Police Assn).

"Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law", sub-tittled "A practical guide for police on Massachusetts and federal firearms law." by Chief Ron Glidden and Atty John Collins.

http://www.municipalpoliceinstitute....p?productid=11

Funny you mention Chief Glidden.
    I'd sent off a check to him to buy his MA gun law guidebook just three days ago!
    A long time MA resident I know strongly suggested it and him as a verified knowledgeable resource and indicated his book/law guide as being a must have investment.

Edit - And there it is the book referenced just above ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I hope you didn't send the check to him personally, as MPI does all the selling of his book these days. Before he cut a deal with the devil, I used to sell the books for him.

He's very knowledgeable (I learned a lot from him personally and his seminars), but lately he's been espousing his personal opinions in some parts of his "Notes" and thus it is getting somewhat subjective instead of objective. Turns out he has a "personal agenda" as I found out the hard way after attending some EOPS Hearings and the following GCAB meeting in September (topics were the "bonded warehouses" and LEOSA, where GCAB proposed some CMRs that are a travesty).

Nope...I ordered via CC to MPI direct.
    Yeah I've heard about the bonded warehouse situation, OMG what a mess and travesty. :\

- Janq

LenS,

Just sent you an E-mail with subject that should stand out.

Appreciate the links and info. Will read as much as I can soak up.
    Regards,

Dean

LenS,

All VERY good information. The gun aspect while important, isn't a make or break at this point. I sent some specific stats in teh e-mail, but 35 out or 55 or so cities in MA are well up in sales compared to last year.

Flat is pretty good, even.

NH is down in every county compared to last year.

Comparing actual commissions, MA looks VERY solid even based on Nov sales.

MA looks okay for a new England state as long as you can get the A license and know in advance to reside in a town that is as gun friendly as possible.

The math and living conditions work for me in MA, but not in NH.

Unless C21 isn't well represented in NH, there simply are no Top 20 offices based on actual comissions.

For those of you who are in the MA area, here are the stats:

http://www.gbreb.com/gbar/documents/SingleFamily3rd.pdf

NH doesn't break it down further online, but the state seems down county wide from last year with 1 exception. NOT horrible at all, but the math just seems better in MA at this point witht he Boston area up 10%+ and State total in the black. NH is down almost 10%...which seems great coming from an area that is down nearly 50%...but not as good as MA.

January-August 2007 NH residential (non-condominium) sales

County Units sold % change 2006-07 Average price % change 2006-07
    Hillsborough 2,727 -9% $311,700 -3%
    Rockingham 2,228 -1% $371,000 -3%
    Merrimack 1,178 -4% $279,200 -2%
    Strafford 952 -11% $267,100 -1%
    Grafton 755 -7% $274,700 3%
    Carroll 640 -18% $329,500 -5%
    Belknap 630 -13% $368,200 10%
    Cheshire 608 -19% $232,300 -2%
    Sullivan 410 -10% $244,000 5%
    Coos 294 -13% $138,000 7%
    Statewide 10,422 -9% $306,200 -1%

Regarding the gun issues...this is all really good to know and I will confirm and read and continue to make contacts well before I move.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Dean,

A good read of MGL will show you that the "List" is an "anti-dealer" ploy. It prohibits MA Dealers from transferring, but does NOT prohibit ownership or private transfers (limited to 4/year) at all.

Carry whatever you wish. Most of my handguns aren't on the EOPS List and never will be.

You can bring your guns with you when you move, in which case there will be NO requirement to register anything you move in with, but if you leave them in FL until you get your LTC, you will be forced (by law) to register all the ones you bring in after moving.

You can use/buy/possess pre-ban hi-caps. Our AWB and mag-ban are mirrors of the expired Fed Ban.

You'll never see too many more guns on the approved List, as most of the mfrs "kissed off" MA and their "inmates" (have no rights here, thus not citizens of the US of A). The AG Regs and the refusal of the AG to "approve" ANY handguns keeps the mfrs away. There are only 16 handgun mfrs on the approved list and a very small sub-set of what they make in most cases.

I wouldn't consider MA "prime location" to sell RE. My contacts (a number of long-time RE agents) tell me houses aren't selling here in the suburbs (I stay out of Boston proper as much as possible).

If you want more info on current market here, contact me via Email (not PM) from this forum (just make the subject obvious that it's not spam/junk). A good friend is recent past president of the Mass Assn of Realtors and I can put the two of you in contact with each other.

Good luck! I still say, look at Southern NH at least wrt living there.
    Regards,

Dean

bae
    I'd find a place to move in the United States instead.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Dean407,

Living in southern NH and working in Boston is like living in Northern VA and working in DC. It is easy, common, and prudent. Don't think you have to work in NH just because you live there!

Chooie,

I will look into it.
    Regards,

Dean

Replied to your Email.

Chooie is right, IMNSHO.

A good friend is a RE agent in Framingham and he tells me that business is "dead!" (that was ~2 weeks ago).

A few other RE agents I've spoken to in my area (casual conversation over past few months) told me that properties aren't moving around here.

Commissions are high here since house prices (even though they are falling) are obscene.

Hmm. Well, guess I'll get to see how the final quarter in the Boston area goes.

I'll likely be able to see how 1st quarter of 2008 end up as well. There may be sales patterns in cities that have only become apparent the last 6 mos or so.

Where are the hot spots in South NH? From Nashua to Boston is 43 miles each way. OUCH.

Even from Salem NH to Boston is 33 miles each way. I'd really like to be no more than 30 minutes from Boston proper with no traffic.

I stayed with a friend in Salem, MA quite a while ago and she drove us around Marblehead. Very nice area as I recall.
    Regards,

Dean

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links