MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL - Page 3

MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL

This is a discussion on MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since I live South of Boston, I'm not real savvy on what's shaking in Southern NH (except that if my Wife decides to retire some ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Since I live South of Boston, I'm not real savvy on what's shaking in Southern NH (except that if my Wife decides to retire some day, So. NH is likely where I'll look to relocate).

Yes, Marblehead is a very nice/expensive area. Houses were typically $1Mill starting point a few years ago.

You probably want to stay away from actually working in the City of Boston proper anyway for the following reasons:

- City has "home rule" and makes up lots of rules on its own. Licensing fees to the city whereas no such exists anywhere else in the state, all sorts of restrictions, etc. [Can't speak to RE agent issues but as an example, I'm a Constable - in Boston I'd have to pay a $400 fee for my appointment and another $450/year for unspecified "training" plus more if I want to carry handcuffs, more to carry OC, more to carry a gun, etc. In the 'burbs, it cost me a single postage stamp to get appointed as a Constable!! I carry what I want to and need not pay homage to Mumbles Menino (Boston Mayor) or similar jokers.]

- City has its own anti-gun and anti-knife laws. NO ARs by city residents unless possessed and specially licensed back in 1988 (IIRC), similar bans on hi-cap rifle mags and probably more. Those of us who don't live in the City don't need to worry about it, so we don't.

- Parts of the city are shooting galleries (both guns and drugs). The police stay away from those areas except for sweeping up the trash. You don't want to be showing properties or even seen in those areas.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Nashua is more of a hike. Try Salem, Windham, or Pelham, NH - they're right on 93, within a few exits of MA. If you find yourself working in the Merrimack Valley (Lawrence, Methuen, Haverhill, Andover) or along the 93 corridor (Billerica, Woburn, Wakefield, Reading, Stoneham) you will find that if you leave at the right time of day from NH, you will get there in minutes. Working closer to Boston (Boston proper, Cambridge, Chelsea, Medford, Malden, etc.) would take about 25-35 minutes with no traffic from the NH border (Salem). From Nashua, also with no traffic, you're looking at 45 minutes - still not bad, but you're using route 3 and 95 instead of 93 the whole way. That whole 4 hour thing I mentioned was worst case - you left your house at 8:15am and 93 was a parking lot. If you left an hour earlier you'd be at work, looking out the window at the highway, laughing at the folks stuck in traffic. That's how it is around there. (I know, I used to work right on 95 in Waltham).

As far as the nicest places to live in SNH, well, that's all up to what you want. If you are looking for a rural area, you've got to look. They exist - parts of Pelham, for example, have acreage available (last I saw). For the most part, though, it's all going to be developments and suburban neighborhoods, with expensive land and sized to match houses. For example, my mom's house is in Methuen, in one of the better school districts (brand new k-8 school... one of several). She's on just under an acre, with a little over 2k sf. Last I heard, her house was appraised at close to 600k. That same house on 10 acres down here in central VA would go for 250k, I'm sure.

Well, at this point I'd simply have to visit and feel things out.

Everything is relative to the person's previous experience. Visiting somewhere and living there are two different things.

Whatever I decide on, it will be a well thought out decision.
    Regards,

Dean

Regarding the topic

Dean, check this out ( click image for larger map )

All that Green looks promising uh ?

until

user comment
    ...Well I'm pretty disappointed. I have a completely clear history, I'm a member of GOAL and the NRA, I got a hunting license when I was 14, and I scored a perfect 10 on the written test, yet Sgt.McDade in Burlington decided to restrict me to Hunting and Target.

Super nice guy and all, but I don't see why he restricted me. He even spelled out "ALL LAWF..." and then deleted it and wrote "HUNTING & TARGET" in its stead. I was a bit taken aback and neglected to question him on it, which I am now regretting.

Burlington is stated as Green on the map

Later the guy called the Sgt. and luckily got it changed to LTC-ALP.

user comment
    Hey Kid's you might want to change Fall River to red. I got restricted T&H So did poisonposey I can bet my left $#% that vicpinto will get the same (sorry vic).
    Fall River is listed as Green on the map

user post
    First time renewal in Northbridge (they did not issue previous LTC or previous renewals- I recently moved here) - very easy, professional.

I have a "slight blem" in my police record (A&BDW-shod foot) from early 90's. never came up in conversation, officer saw it on my renewal form- it was a non-issue...

Person has an A&BDW, yet was approved, while others in the state with CLEAN record are DENIED

user comment
    If it is your FIRST LTC in MA, he will restrict it...After that, you would receive an unrestricted LTC.......

Thats a 4 year wait , oops, correction ( thanks LenS ) Thats a 6 years wait for renewal

user comment
    Heard from an attorney that Franklin is issuing restricted for first time LTC applicants and Plainville is actually downgrading ALP to restricted on renewals

in Mass you risk possible downgrade even if you have a resident LTC-ALP even after the cost of upto $500 to try and get a LTC-ALP.
    Some mass police website firearm info link states also, your reference must have known you over 3 years , I'm not sure if they have to be local Mass resident tho.

The map from the other site data came from members who applied for LTC, whats not known about the applicants that receive LTC-ALP in those town is if they are former LEO, if they handle large amount of cash, if they were or are victim of a stalker, so its not really giving you a definate reason for the Green signal on the map, the Green may really be "false hope"

You have a much greater chance with the N-R LTC
    NH is excellent for living (IMHO), I will be moving there soon :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dean407 View Post

I may make a move to Boston Spring/Summer.

On purpose?!

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    On purpose?!

Sad but true!

ibez,

6 years between renewals for residents (changed from 4 years a few years ago).

Most don't get "denied", but many do get "restricted" by chief. Issuance and any restrictions are at the "will and pleasure" of the local chief.

Many chiefs do not restrict, but you won't hear about them on a forum/blog that is designed to capture complaints.

References can be anyone unless your particular chief "makes up his own rules" on who qualifies or doesn't. I've used out-of-state references before and never been questioned. Never had to provide letters, just names, addresses and phone numbers.

Those people who are well known in their community or are business men/women locally usually don't have any hassles. I never fill out those kind of surveys or respond to those threads with my "experience" since my Wife and I are "well known quantities" in our town and have been active in town government/charities since we moved here (33 years ago). Thus our experiences are not "typical" of how "normal people" are treated.

Stay in Florida....taxachusetts sucks from a former new englander..

Guess I'm not moving to Pembroke!

About the "MA-approved gun list" you can buy anything you want BEFORE YOU MOVE and bring it in with you. Nothing against having them, it's the act of buying them that is forbidden. (smart, eh?) Also, no 11+ round magazines that were made after 1994.

LenS,

Moments ago I went outside to let the dog out and guess what I find on my front porch. :)
    Damn...This book is a tome.

It's got tons more info in it than I'd expected.
    Well worth the cost, in fact it should cost $90 considering what all it contains.
    But then at such a price point they would likely sell 1/8th as many.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq,

Happy reading!

Ron used to sell the book for $35, but he had all the hassles of getting it printed, selling, and worrying if he'd get stuck with unsold books.

So he cut a deal with the devil (MCOPA/MPI) and he writes the text for some $$, they do the printing, selling and risk/rewards are all theirs. [MCOPA has an objective to minimize the number of people with carry permits (must have in MA for mere possession) and do what they can to "control" (ban) gun possession by civilians. They work hard toward that objective when anti-gun bills are filed.]

MPI used to sell a book that was a lot less accurate for $100 and Ron argued with them that he wanted it affordable by the average street cop, so they settled on a mid-range price.

If I was told correctly, it is required for new cadets going thru the MPTC Academy, but I've never tried to confirm that.

It is however the most authoritative source we have in MA on the gun laws here.

look for gun friendly towns, boston is a bad place to get a gun license.

I lived and grew up in Salem, MA. I can tell you now that in either Marblehead or Salem, you will most likely not be getting a permit to carry. I moved out of MA 5 years ago but the state of CCL in those towns is the same from what I gather from friends and family. My father is the Deputy Chief of the Salem Fire Dept and he himself would have a bear of a time getting a carry permit out of the CLEO so your chances are going to be very tough.

As you can see, I now live in NH and you couldn't pay me enough money to ever move back to that horrendous excuse for a free state. If you can live in NH and work in MA, you would be much better off. NH is shall issue. $10 and no criminal past gets you a 5 year permit non-restricted in under 2 weeks. Guaranteed!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links