MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL

This is a discussion on MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I may make a move to Boston Spring/Summer. I'm originally from NY- and wasn't into guns there. Of course, here it's great for gun people. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL

Question MA gun laws? May move to Boston from FL

I may make a move to Boston Spring/Summer.

I'm originally from NY- and wasn't into guns there.

Of course, here it's great for gun people. I have my CCW here in FL.

I am just wondering if it's realistically possible for regular folks to conceal carry in Boston?

If there is zero criminal history, how long does it typically take for someone to get their concealed license- IF folks can get their concealed carry there?

I did a basic web search, but would rather 'hear' it straight from folks who live there.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Dean

2. Remove Ads

I live here

Do you REALLY HAVE TO MOVE TO Mass ? anyway you can avoid that ?, if you can, take that option.

If you HAVE TO come here, avoid moving to Boston, Brookline or Cambridge , you will not get a CCW license ( Class A )

Boston MAY issue but ONLY IF ITS WORK RELATED, and then they'll RESTRICT the CC to WORK ONLY

you MAY be able to get a Class B which only allows you to purchase NON-LARGE Cap weapons ( cant get MAGS that holds more than 10 ) , also you can only conceal carry in your residence, once you go out side your weapon must be unloaded, locked in a seperate container from the ammo, and be away from you in your vehicle.

some parts of mass are Class A issuance, very few

search for my post about the total cost to get a LTC in massachusetts

Your FL license means nothing in Mass

ibez,

Well, ok. :-)

I know it's more or less rediculous compared to Southern States.

Could you give me a bit more detail though?

It seems I need a firearms ID, plus a concealed carry license?

Must wait 60 days before even applying?

At first glance it does appear better than NY though. There's no way non law enforcement would ever get a concealed permit unless they knew the gov. or someone very important.

Ideally, I'd like to split my time spending Spring/Summer up there and Fall/Winter down here.

I'll be entering real estate in Boston. So, I will travel to strange nieghborhoods meeting strangers.

Does MA have that odd "high capacity" rule that CA has?
    Regards,

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Dean407 View Post
    ibez,

At first glance it does appear better than NY though. There's no way non law enforcement would ever get a concealed permit unless they knew the gov. or someone very important.

Ideally, I'd like to split my time spending Spring/Summer up there and Fall/Winter down here.

I'll be entering real estate in Boston. So, I will travel to strange nieghborhoods meeting strangers.

Yes , CA "odd" rule applies, if you DONT HAVE A Class A, you can NOT purchase or posess HIGH CAP, you cant have Most Glocks, no Machine Guns in Boston, blah blah blah :)

Only thing your FL license is good for in Mass is "peaceful journey"

If you want a Class A and you maintain your residence in Fl, you are More likely to get a Class A if you apply for Non-resident
    NR permits are issued thru the State Police and they almost Always issues Unrestricted Class A.
    residents of mass must apply thru the Chief of Police in their residence City, and most of these Chief only Issue Class B

click here to see how much it will cost just to be LTC in Ma

Heres a guide to some "gun friendly" towns in the state of Mass.
    click here

also, Non resident permits cost $100 per year , and since you have a FL CCW you wont have to take the NRA qualifying test and dont have to join any clubs if you apply for the NR

Last edited by ibez; December 19th, 2007 at 03:42 PM.

BAC
    But-but... it's cold up there!

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    But-but... it's cold up there!

-B

that is true

plus, we also have free snow give away , take as much as you can carry

ibez,

I hate to be the forum wise-donkey here, but you do realize that real-estate is sold in other states too right?

edit:
    Seriously though...my best guess would be to check www.handgunlaw.us
    Last edited by packinnova; December 18th, 2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: link
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    If you're going to be working in Boston, consider living about 35 miles north, up I-93... in southern New Hampshire. It will be about an hour average commute (some days, 25 minutes, some days 4 hours - it's Boston, after all), but you will be immensely happier with your living (and firearm) situation. If you MUST live in MA for some reason (license to practice requires residency or something), look for a gun-friendly town (town, not city) and make it a point to have a friendly visit with the CoP when you get up there. Introduce yourself, be extremely polite and professional, and be enthusiastic about moving to his town. Be warned, if you own any post-ban hicap magazines, for any gun, sell them before you move to MA (if you pick NH, it's fine). You will need to buy PRE-BAN hicaps for those pistols you own that had them (Glocks, etc.) or limit yourself to 10 round magazines - if you get the LTC. Bear in mind as well, you are more likely to get the non-resident class A LTC than the resident one, as the NR is basically a state police background check, and no local politicos are involved at all.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Where to begin??

- MGL requires all to get a certificate from a MA State Police Certified Trainer prior to applying for their first permit (LTC in your case). Most NRA courses are certified courses, but ONLY the MSP Certificate is accepted (trainer must apply and pay a fee to be able to give out these certificates). This is true for either a Resident or NR LTC.

- MGL makes issuance of an LTC "discretionary" on the part of the local police chief. Thus we effectively have 351 different sets of "rules" and interpretations of MGL! Chiefs (by law) get to determine who is "suitable" and who is not! So in one town it could take a month to get your LTC-A with no restrictions and in another town it could take 6 months to get your restricted LTC (that won't allow you to CCW anywhere except at home).

- MOST towns issue LTC-As, but many will restrict the person in some way (target & hunting, work only, etc.). Again it is arbitrary, and subject to change with the change in administration.

- Very few towns will issue only LTC-Bs, but there are a few out there. ONLY a LTC-A will allow you to possess a handgun that is classified as a "high-cap" handgun (there is a List put out by EOPS) or hi-cap mags for handguns. Also ONLY an unrestricted LTC-A will allow you to CCW.

- As already stated, if you can live in NH and work in MA, you will be a lot better off for many reasons. However, you can't ever bring the post-ban hi-cap mags into MA for any reason other than FOPA (only if you live in another state), otherwise it is a felony for non-LE to possess them in MA.

- MOST towns do NOT require you to join a gun club, but there are a few that do. Dues are usually in the $100-150/year category after the first year (initiation fee usually is ~$100 that first year). There are no public areas to shoot here, so private clubs are all that we have, save 4 gun shops that have on-site ranges.

- If you really need to move or work here, contact Gun Owner's Action League, join up ($30/year, tell them Len sent you) and talk with them about towns to avoid or consider. 508-393-5333, www.goal.org

- Also, do as I did when I considered moving many years ago, go sit down with the local police chief and ask him about the area, crime, his position on gun licenses (many here are very anti-2A), etc. and then cross off your list those towns that give you "bad vibes". Doing "due diligence" BEFORE you make an offer on a home is the only smart way to go.

To start you absolutely need to reference and bookmark the following three sites...

* The Official Website of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (EOPSS) - 'Gun Laws'
    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopssubt...Laws&sid=Eeops

* GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS CHAPTER 140. LICENSES. - 'SALE OF FIREARMS' (All laws as applicable to firearms in MA!)
    http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-140-toc.htm

* Gun Owners' Action League - The Official Firearms Association of Massachusetts
    http://www.goal.org

Read the MA law sub-chapter by sub-chapter toward _every_ item under Chapter 140 sections 121 through 131. Skip a section at your own peril.
    Next contact GOAL for clarification toward _any_ questions you might have regarding MA firearm law and lawfullness including ways of securing an FID or LTC and in what specific town.

- Janq did exactly the above upon moving here, amongst other waste of time & money stuff, and has a MA resident LTC-A out of an anti-gun town
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thanks for the replies. I actually found that northeastshooters forum and a masspolice forum which helped a lot.

>>>I hate to be the forum wise-donkey here, but you do realize that real-estate is sold in other states too right?<<<

:-)

Yep. However, I have friends in Boston and family in NY. I analyzed the stats from around the northeast from the local boards.

We'll be going through one of the biggest market corrections in history starting this year- here in FL. With just 3.8% of single family homes selling...it's become "wheel of fortune" for even the most seasoned folks. The # of pre-foreclosures looming is equal to the total inventory listed in the MLS. Only .6% of pre-foreclosures are selling monthly. Even fully bank owned are selling at under 10% monthly. 25 mos SFH inventory and 40 mos condo inventory. Just 2.5% of condos selling monthly.

Prices in severe decline - which just started 4 weeks ago. With the average price being under $235k now which will be under $200k this time next year...

...the math just isn't there. Even if we went back to the PEAK of 2005 with sustained sales of over 3000/mo we'd still just be selling ~10% monthly inventory. Central FL dropped below 1000 sales for the first time in 11 YEARS.

The builders will continue to undercut resales and steal a solid chunk of sales for the next few years- at least. I can only make so many divorced women with kids cry. For every buyer happy they can finally afford a house...there is a destroyed family. Fully 1/3rd of *all* listings are VACANT. Most of the vacant pre-foreclosures, foreclosures and bank owned houses DO NOT have power.

Several already had visible mold issues. This time next yr, Central FL will be quite different. There WILL be a strong bounce back...but not until FL becomes "cheap" again to the rest of the country. Our median needs to fall below $200k to be in line with people's thoughts.

The number of pre-foreclosures, foreclosures and bank owned in combination with massive builder inventory and severe tightening in lending practices makes for "the Perfect Storm" here, CA and Nevada.

Real Estate math is very simple. Without a huge influx of investors and the typical Spring/Summer bounce this year...the majority of offices will have to close. While statistically 1 out of 27 will sell monthly...sales are just spread out across too many agents and offices.

NOT SHINY HAPPY STUFF!

I referred out a listing to a Top 20 New England agent. We spoke for quite some time. Boston is fairly flat, and even UP 3% compared to this time last yr.

The average sales price is up slightly to $380k or $385k. Appx 1 in 7 listings sell. If you have 10 listings there's a solid chance of selling at least one per month. Boston area started it's decline before much of the country, and appears to be climbing out of their bottom.

MA has full reciprocity which means I don't have to take the class training, apply, etc...just send in my active license and then take the State test here.

It's also a natural to be active in both FL and MA as customers in MA may very well want a second home, vacation home, retirement home here in FL.

The math works out in Boston for me. Lots of cheap flights between Boston and Orlando daily. Close enough to NY to visit family. Market there just started to rebound slightly. Having come from NY, at least having the *possibility* of CCW up North is a good thing.

I can always keep high cap guns down here and fly down here to get my high cap jollies.
    Regards,

Dean

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    MA has full reciprocity which means I don't have to take the class training, apply, etc...just send in my active license and then take the State test here.
    MA has reciprocity with... nobody. There may be states that honor MA's permit, but MA honors no permit but its own.

Yep. ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lens and Jang: Thanks for the info.

>>>>Doing "due diligence" BEFORE you make an offer on a home is the only smart way to go.<<<<

INDEED.

Luckily (?) I am still single, no kids and VERY mobile. I would (will) make contacts and see which towns are most 'gun friendly' before moving.

It doesn't seem so bad to me gun wise if I do decent research before I move.

The only thing that really bothers me is the "approved" gun list. That's simply beyond stupid. MA must have a VERY small minority of gun owners to allow the laws to get where they ended up and are heading.

It actually does change the way I think about carry guns. I own 9mm because it has higher capacity. 124gr GD won't tickle and I have more shots compared to 40 or 45.

In MA though with that 10rd stuff and approved list- I'd probably go 40 or 45.

Seems the P2000 is approved in .357 only. What is that about? Shouldn't the 40 version be approved as well? <shrug>

One thing I am unclear on is whether I am allowed to bring in guns NOT on that list from FL to CCW- if I get my A license.

Frankly, to be more safe than sorry IF I was ever in a shooting (God Forbid) I'd probably opt to carry something on the approved list even if there was an option to carry something else.

It would be nice if the HK45c gets approved. I suspect it will take quite a while after a new gun comes out to get on the list.

Would probably go with a Sig 239 in .357 or 40 for CCW in MA.

Is it OK to own both barrels and swap them out?
    Regards,

Dean

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links