How do you aim??

This is a discussion on How do you aim?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Practice, practice, pratice is the underlying lesson I believe. No matter what method practice makes perfect. Oh yea when I practice my draw I also ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you aim??

Practice, practice, pratice is the underlying lesson I believe. No matter what method practice makes perfect. Oh yea when I practice my draw I also say the words " PLEASE DON'T KILL ME", much like a LEO would practice what they say when they have to draw. If there are witnesses those 4 words go a long way in help proving that you feared for your life it there is any questions about your use of deadly force.
    Why walk softly and carry a BIG stick when a BIG GUN is more efficient and you can walk however you want to?

2. Remove Ads

I used to shoot a lot differently, but since I started shooting USPSA a few years ago things have really changed. After several classes my aiming technique is as follows:

- Eyes to target(threat), hand to gun.
    - Draw gun from holster w/finger outside trigger guard and off hand comes to middle of torso at solar plexus.
    - Gun hand comes up to off hand and two hand grip is established, thumb safety is switched off.
    - Gun is raised to be in line with eyes on target(threat), arms pushed out to slight bend, finger goes to trigger, eyes focus on front sights with target(threat) in backround and shot breaks.

The gun is raised to be in line with the eyes on target. Very fast and very accurate. Check out some of the top shooters in the sport and their look at their style.

But, it's all about the practice. Anyway you take aim, you gotta practice, practice, practice.

I mix it up. In reality if you can see your sights in a gunfight, great. I mainly use a mix of point shooting and sight use, with a preference for front sight focus. I'm developing a technique for myself that I use the slide as a reference. Slide on the torso and start pulling the trigger.

It all depends on the distance to threat and conditions of threat (behind a fence, door, car, light pole) and how much of the target is exposed. I'm working on my 3y headshots from retention. Getting better. I also shoot at various canted sight pictures as if I'm maximizing cover and shooting around it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links