How do you aim??

How do you aim??

This is a discussion on How do you aim?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If this discussion has occurred on a previous post then please delete. I was reading about the laser sight post asking if it was a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you aim??

If this discussion has occurred on a previous post then please delete.
    I was reading about the laser sight post asking if it was a waste of money or not, and it got me thinking on how do most of us train to shoot for SD?
    My opinion is that if we carry for SD then everything is going to happen real fast. There is not going to be much time to take careful aim. I train myself to aim with the same gut feeling you achieve when you use a slingshot. Its just sort of a "Ah ha, I got it now" and let er rip deal. I was always told never take your eyes off the threat, so this enables me to do just that.

How do you train yourself to aim?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Lead Moderator
    I practice flash sight picture, pure instinctive (from the belt line height) and precision shots as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Start shooting from close retention - at soonest point after draw - this should give one to two shots as arms straighten into two hand hold - zippering!

I practice this and still need to get better as #1 shot often goes wide still. For sure eyes on threat - 100%.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I train with and without the sights. I believe that most likely I wont be using the sights for SD, but I suppose that if I could predict the future I'd just stay away from danger.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Start shooting from close retention - at soonest point after draw - this should give one to two shots as arms straighten into two hand hold - zippering!

I practice this and still need to get better as #1 shot often goes wide still. For sure eyes on threat - 100%.
    please elaborate, is this like when you draw and aim without sights? I am just not familiar with the terms you used is all.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry - OK - strong side draw strong hand ..... as soon as you clear leather you adopt a close retention position. Gun is almost but not quite touching body (note - too close and slide action is painful!).

This aquires a shooting position for start ... with gun pointed from there at target - no sighting at all - this is totally ''muscle memory'' if it has been practiced - some call it point shooting - all semantics - call it what you will. Purpose is to get gun into play soonest - plus not having gun forward to maybe be grabbed. Weak hand may well be forward for fending off in CQC.

From this strong hand grip and close retention firing can begin as strong arm begins to straighten.

By maybe shot #2 or three and full arm extension -two hand hold can be aquired - to continue if necessary. Only use term ''zippering'' as in effect the gun is discharging all way from that close retention right thru to full two handed ''classic'' positition.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I see, I must try that myself. Quite right then by drawing and shooting from the hip as this would be most beneficial in close quarter confrontation and the zippering would be for threats that are further away then, good thing to know. Thanks.

aznav, you sound like me when I was a youngster, I too quit after I acquired my CHP. Firearms + alcohol = TROUBLES
    Think twice
    Buy once!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    It all depends on range and time. I will place the most accurate shot i can given the range and speed needs.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Sorry - OK - strong side draw strong hand ..... as soon as you clear leather you adopt a close retention position. Gun is almost but not quite touching body (note - too close and slide action is painful!).

Purpose is to get gun into play soonest - plus not having gun forward to maybe be grabbed. Weak hand may well be forward for fending off in CQC.
    Before you ever try, decide where your other hand will be - if you push out with your weak hand then shoot it with your gun-hand, you may feel really silly afterwards. If you're facing the BG squarely, one option is to put your hand on your chest - sort of a Pledge of Allegience pose (know where you elbow is!). If you're standing with the strong-side angled away from the BG (preferred - your draw is less visible to him, and he can't reach/block it as easily), you can put your weak hand/arm up and over your head in a protective gesture in case he tries to clock you in the head/neck/shoulders (know where you elbow is!). Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

+1 Redneck Repairs

I point inside 7 yds, look at the front sight only out to about 10, and aim better as speed allows further than that.

Austin

Spray and pray for me.

Sometimes I use the sideways gansta style.

(just kidding of course)

I try all different methods. Indexing the front site post (I think that's what it's called) is my most accurate speed method, but point shooting is probably the one I need the most work on. Past 7 yards, If I don't at least get a good flash of the front site post, I'm just laying down suppresive fire until I can get it.

I also do precise aimed rapid fire (as fast as I can realign the sights back on the target) at distances out to 25 yds.

I'll have to try Chris's "zipper" method too. I've not tried that one before, though I have fired from close retention with some decent effect.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    OK, I'm gonna sound completely nuts or just plain stupid, but I must have shot for a couple of years before learning how to use the sights correctly. I took defensive handgun classes locally but I guess they thought I knew what I was doing 'cause nobody corrected me. It wasn't until a "guest Instructor" taught the class that the proper use of the front sight came up. Scary, huh?

Now I draw into a retention position of the Shivworks variety, work my way to a flash sight picture when/if the distance increases, and focus on the front sight for more precise shots if necessary.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Two months ago, had I read this thread then, my reaction would have been different from what it is today. Today, some of the descriptions are pretty scary. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the vicinity when SHTF!

I say this after completing a 3-day course with Bruce Gray and his team instructing. They covered the whole process, from trigger control, target acquisition, follow-up shots, Mozambique 2 + 1, shooting while moving, etc. http://www.grayguns.com

I took this course because, while I was already a decent shot, I thought that I would improve more with good training than by just shooting ammo. In fact, uninspired practice is counterproductive since it reinforces bad habits. Good habits are emphasized in his courses, plus shooting 1,000 - 1,400 rounds over three days!

I wholeheartedly recommend his courses. Considering some repeat attendees from across the country also showed - and were excellent shots, I think this is a popular opinion. FWIW, I shoot HKs, some shot Glocks, most shot Sigs.

For a review of the class, see:
    http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc...011#4691032011

To answer the thread question, in short: Itís all about trigger control. Prep the trigger, pull through the break, eyes on sights, sights on target.

Sponsor
    elbow up/elbow down [ F/S 1/2 hip ] from 2 out to 9 feet one handed from the hip, then same with movement with obliques and laterals

Quick Kill hip on two threats from the hip from 2 out to 9 feet one handed, then add movement into 3/4 hip with obliques and laterals one handed

zipper from 1/2 hip from the hip to full extension one handed, and then with moving out of the kill zone both sides obliquely and laterally one handed from 2 to 9 feet one handed

Bump drill which is two the body, one to the head from the hip at 3-5 feet and then with movement one handed

3/4 hip from 10-15 feet stationary and then adding moving and shooting to obliques and laterals on handed threat focused.

Sprint and hits starting from 4-6 feet and moving obliquely while drawing and firing one handed to the weak side and two handed to the strong side for two steps.

Shooting to your 6 o"clock without moving your lower body one handed, then with shooting while moving out of that position and getting out of the kill zone.

Quick Kill [ QK ] one handed, then QK two handed from 15-30 feet adding movement as before in various directions, threat focused

Hiding behind the bullets from 30 feet charging the threat from 3/4 hip one handed, charging to the obliques one handed on both sides, and starting the above them moving to two handed QK, gun below line of sight at the nose/mouth level.

Sighted fire from 50-100yds two handed stationary, using the sights.

If you run these drills three times each, you can go through about 100 rds in half an hour.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

i train up close w/o sights. w/ and w/o laser
    i train far away with sights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links