Microstamping question

Microstamping question

This is a discussion on Microstamping question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was reading about microstamping, where your weapon's serial number is laser etched onto your firing pin and breechface. This is to be incorporated on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Microstamping question

I was reading about microstamping, where your weapon's serial number is laser etched onto your firing pin and breechface. This is to be incorporated on all handguns sold in Kalifornistan by 2010. Now...If I bought a handgun AFTER 2010 in Cali, and took it to another state that does NOT require microstamping, would it be against the law to sand the breechface slightly and replace the firing pin? Would that count as defacing weapon identification?

I think this microstamping idea is retarded. If I were Joe Criminal, maybe I go to a shooting range, pick up a few empty casings of the same caliber I use, use a microscope to make a few matches, then leave the dummy casings at the scene while retaining my own. Then the cops get this "irrefutable evidence", that traces them to the wrong person. I wouldn't want to be a victim of that.

Just random thoughts about it. I haven't heard of it until now.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Wow, thats like the perfect idea(about going to the range).

Heck,it might confuse the LEOs even more if there was a ton of different weapon stampings on the casing found on the scene of the crime.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I wouldnt worry over much about it , I suspect that normal wear and tear of the action cycling will most likely deface the " microstamp " within a reasonable number of rounds . After all actions wear inn and smooth out machining artifacts bigger than the " stamp " lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Argument for revolvers

The CA microstamping law only applies to semiautos and not revolvers, since only semiautos chuck empties around. Perhaps revolvers will become more popular in CA when this law takes effect in a couple of years. If the cost of making semiautos goes up because of the law, the economics will also favor revolvers.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Didn't they come up with that on CSI? I thought that ammo manufacturers are already stamping their cases? By the way---y'all won't find any of my empty cases laying around at the range. I save them all. 5 each!

But...

If you pick up someone else's casings and use them in a crime...

CSI would know that...they would trace the 'used' casings to the store that sold the shells and already know who owned the gun that originally fired the shell when it was new. Then they would contact the original owner of the shell and find out what range he fired the shells in questions at...ALSO...the dirt traces on the used casing would be put in the computer and traced to range that the 'used' casings were last dropped.
    Next, they would go to the range in questions and check all names of people who fired from that range, perhaps even find a security camera would have captured the exact time the casing in question were fired...magnified pictures might even be available of the casing in question to be identified. The rest is simple, once the casing is spotted on the camera, then facial identification computers show the 'true' owner of the used casing...THUS...the California micro-stamping has proven successful...
    Last edited by JD; May 2nd, 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Removed "dead" emoticon
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The law applies to only new models of HG's made after 2010. Don't worry no gun manufacturer is going to release a new model in California after it takes effect. Heck most don't already because of our stupid drop test and the fact the have to have a mag disconnect on them.

All current models will be grandfathered.

Quote Originally Posted by BonoVox View Post
    Don't worry no gun manufacturer is going to release a new model in California after it takes effect. Heck most don't already because of our stupid drop test and the fact the have to have a mag disconnect on them.
    Not so. Smith and Wesson already has several models that have or will pass the test and have the mag disconnect. If I were a betting man, I would put money on S&W being the first to introduce a microstamp version too.

I wish you were right but some manufacturers will cave a nd produce a microstamp version so that they can market to our 33 million fellow Californians!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The CA microstamping law only applies to semiautos and not revolvers, since only semiautos chuck empties around. Perhaps revolvers will become more popular in CA when this law takes effect in a couple of years. If the cost of making semiautos goes up because of the law, the economics will also favor revolvers.
    Seems to be like they'd respond by banning or somehow further "controlling" revolvers ,....Maybe coin some fancy scary policitally correct term like "assualt pistol"

I suppose the way I see it,regardless of deterents/laws/whatever,criminals will always find ways to be criminals. There will never be a law,or form of control that will suddenly/magically make a criminal/murder wake up,and "OH,I'ma stop breaking the law now since they started _____."

If somebody wants to murder another,they will find a way to do it. If its a firearm,they'll figure out something,or goto jail.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Not so. Smith and Wesson already has several models that have or will pass the test and have the mag disconnect. If I were a betting man, I would put money on S&W being the first to introduce a microstamp version too.

I wish you were right but some manufacturers will cave a nd produce a microstamp version so that they can market to our 33 million fellow Californians!
    Maybe it's time to ban S&W...... AGAIN!

The test that have been done show that Micro stamping is not 100% legible every time from the same gun. It really won't take that much firing to make it illegible most of the time. Thourough heavy cleaning and heavy shooting will destroy the stampings. Just think how badly the crown of a guns barrell can be damaged with normal cleaning if the barrell is cleaned from that end.

Besides, with luck by 2010 california will have the big one and the state will dissapear into the Pacific.

I breezed through an article on microstamping also, and it said 1 manufacturer is already doing it, and supported the bill. I can only imagine the kickbacks that went into the pockets of supporters for this.

Who is the manufacturer that has this "great" technology??? I don't want to have anyone I know buy anything from them. My fellow gun owners in Commiefornia have enough issues to deal with!

If it's Springfield, then my XDs will be up for sale immediately!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

This seems like big brother nonsense.

Senior Moderator
    Laser etching.

The technology is already here. The manufacturing process just needs to be tinkered with and the machines that do it and then made readily available to those that produce the guns.

Its just a matter of time. There is somebody out there that has made it their personal goal to make this happen.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Besides, with luck by 2010 california will have the big one and the state will dissapear into the Pacific.
    Surely Conan can save them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links