.17HMR for CCW?

.17HMR for CCW?

This is a discussion on .17HMR for CCW? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I ran across a few concealable reveolvers from Taurus chambered in .17HMR. Each one looks to hold 8 rounds. What do you think about this ...

Thread: .17HMR for CCW?

.17HMR for CCW?

I ran across a few concealable reveolvers from Taurus chambered in .17HMR. Each one looks to hold 8 rounds.

What do you think about this round for self defense?

I'd think it would be a great round if you can get a shot through the eye, into the mouth, at the neck/throat, temple, ear, or a gut shot.

More velocity than a .22 and the ammo is more reliable to go bang on a trigger pull as well.
    If it's all you can get your hands on then it's much better than empty hands or "rainbowing" ones pepper spray against wolves.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Considering that exact same size revolver can be had loaded with .38 +P's, I'd shy away from the 17HMR. It's a cartridge that does its best work at 100yd from a rifle. The extra 3 rounds of capacity are moot compared to the increase in power and availability of appropriate self defense ammunition.

Administrator
    Jang and Chooie nailed it. Its a novelty gun at best, or maybe useful if the shooter cant handle a 38... but then again, who cant handle a 38?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think its a horrible idea. There is a chance that it could work, but like Janq said it would take a shot in the eye, up the nose, or in the roof of the mouth - and even then its a bad idea. There are at least hundreds of better options. JMHO

Austin

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I think from a pure energy standpoint it's probably on par with a .32, problem is all the ammo for it is frangible varmint type rounds which just aren't going to penetrate well. It sure beats a sharp stick, and it probably beats a .22lr or .25auto, but definately not ideal for SD.

VIP Member
    Well it might not be so bad if the gun could fire all 8 rounds simultaneously
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I think this has to be a joke or troll post myself . LOL .

Sorry folks , i just cannot get past the use a rimfire for a defensive gun, and frankly i dont care if the rimfire is .17 or .50 .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Sorry folks , i just cannot get past the use a rimfire for a defensive gun, and frankly i dont care if the rimfire is .17 or .50 .
    Well, the .44 Henry Rimfire was passable in its day.

As for the .17 HMR, thanks but no thanks.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I kinda thought it was unerpowered, but I thought I'd check the collective too.... and no, I'm not a troll. Check my other posts if you don't believe me.
    Last edited by takurpic; December 26th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.

a friend of mine is a deputy in florida. He went on a shooting call where the guy was shot by a 17hmr out of a little deringer. It was a tiny little entrance wound and a huge exit. The poor guy got hit in the upper shoulder and it blew out a grapefruit sized hole. But, after getting shot he beat the guy to death with a rock. So all in all I agree with everyone else, but its always fun to share the real world experiences.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Links