Electronic Safe observation

This is a discussion on Electronic Safe observation within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ridurall As for the angle grinder comment, I just don't think so. I've got several different types of angle grinders and when ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Safe observation

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    As for the angle grinder comment, I just don't think so. I've got several different types of angle grinders and when I look at the amount of pins locking my vaults I just cannot believe that someone could get in them in 5 minutes. I've never seen it done and the two locksmiths that I've been friends with disagree with the comment.
    The easiest way in, is through the side of the safe. Most safes have a 12 gauge thick steel body or less; the high-end safes have a 3/16" body. You can easily cut through 1/4" steel plate with a cutting wheel (cut-off wheel).

2. Remove Ads

Interesting reading and facts! Has anyone started a poll on 'electronic or tumbler' safe mechanisms? I totally favor the tumbler combo lock myself for some of the very reasons mentioned here. Not only those, but I can set mine to a one digit quick open. In other words, when I am home, I dial the first two numbers (out of three), then have the last within 30 or so of hitting and opening on the last number. Try doing that with an electronic lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Interesting reading and facts! Has anyone started a poll on 'electronic or tumbler' safe mechanisms? I totally favor the tumbler combo lock myself for some of the very reasons mentioned here. Not only those, but I can set mine to a one digit quick open. In other words, when I am home, I dial the first two numbers (out of three), then have the last within 30 or so of hitting and opening on the last number. Try doing that with an electronic lock.
    I'll match you and up the bet...
    I can open my Browing 'electronic' combo in the dark...try doing that with a tumbler...

I have two safes (Brownings)...the short one is electronic, the tall one is a tumbler...both work well.

Lights go out, need to open the pistol safe quickly...I can do it!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

American Pit Bull-

My Liberty safe is double walled with Liberty's highest fire rating and bolted to the floor in a corner so only the door and left side are exposed. What do you think is going to happen when your cutting wheel (or cutting torch) encounters one of the 6, 1# cans of black powder I keep "stored" against the left side of the safe

Good onfo about the finger prints on the number pad, I'll keep a bottle of Windex and a rag on top of the safe from now on. And my combo has nothing to do with me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    American Pit Bull-

My Liberty safe is double walled with Liberty's highest fire rating and bolted to the floor in a corner so only the door and left side are exposed. What do you think is going to happen when your cutting wheel (or cutting torch) encounters one of the 6, 1# cans of black powder I keep "stored" against the left side of the safe
    Well, since it is has so much fire board in the wall (2.5"), I figure that they would cut through the steel with the cutting wheel and then proceed to cut through, or knock out, the fire board without ever knowing that there was 6 lbs of powder on the other side. Even if they used an Acetylene torch, the fire board would separate the flame and slag from the powder and there would be no ignition source when sawing through the fire board... So there would be no surprise to the crooks.

They would be in the safe in 5 minutes.

The visual of a BG getting blown about 10' backwards across the room is a good one, but it wouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I'd like to see how long it takes someone to crack a 16-digit code the hard way! Esp. with the 15-minute lockouts every 4th try or so. I'm guessing weeks!
    That's why I bolded the PRACTICALLY part. Although your odds are going to go down if it's both A) someone who knows what they're doing with that type of safe, ie someone that can physically change the lockout timer which i probably just a timing IC or something similar, and B) a natural mathmatical genius. But you're getting into your far from average crooks there.

Yes, your average crook will be deterred to probably a 99.99 percentile and I suspect that's what most of you are shooting for (no pun intended).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

American Pit Bull-

Good onfo about the finger prints on the number pad, I'll keep a bottle of Windex and a rag on top of the safe from now on. And my combo has nothing to do with me personally.
    Just touch all of the numbers every once in a while...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

American Pit Bull-

Reread my post..DOUBLE WALL steel-fire board-steel.

They cut outside wall; remove fire board; start cutting through inner steel wall.... BYE BYE

retsupt99-

I went and looked at my key pad...the combo numbers were getting dirty, could tell the difference by looking at a slight angle....they would have the 4 used numbers; but since I reuse 2 in a 6 digit combo they are still faced with a challange, is it just a 4 digit number or not. I still think I am going to clean it from time to time as well as touch all the pads.

American Pit Bull-

Reread my post..DOUBLE WALL steel-fire board-steel.

They cut outside wall; remove fire board; start cutting through inner steel wall.... BYE BYE
    My apologies, I was thinking of the common Liberty models which are not double walled on the sides. Like the Lincoln and the Presidential...

What model do you have?

Frank, of zykansafe.com, is a frequent poster on many forums and he posted a pic that was definitely worth a 1000 words...

If a theif with access to shop tools can't get into a 10 or 12 guage steel safe (same thickness used in commercial counter tops, burial urns, cookware, and even some automotive body panels), then they should find a new line of work.

This is a Liberty safe that shows what less than 5 minutes with an axe can do. The thief was gone before the police responding to the alarm got there.

Gun safes are made for guns. Not documents, photo albums, money, or valuables. If you have a valuable gun collection, you need to move up into a real safe, and not a tin can with a pretty paint job.

I have to say, I'm impressed with this show. I didn't see it, but the concept of the safe companies hiring people to detect their flaws is great. Too many companies get perturbed at negative feedback.They would rather take their anger out on the people who point out their flaws, as if the observors caused it somehow, than realize where their weaknesses lie and take corrective action.

The same goes for individuals, too. Pride and all that.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

I think its a regular show now. Or at least for a while. It is on what it now going to be called TruTV. Is/was Court TV but changes its name on Jan 1. There were two different episodes on that particular night. I do not know how many more are planned or how many more might already exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Team_(TV_series)

This safe episode was part of the second one. Karat Caper

The first episode was a car dealership and is available online

Here in tornado alley many new homes have above ground safe rooms built into their homes. Since I pretreat quite a few of this homes for termites I get to see how the safe rooms are built. Many have one foot thick concrete walls/roof/floor with a maze of rebar woven throughout the structure. They are made to withstand 300 MPH winds and fire but the only problem I see with many of them is they don't put a good enough doors on them. When I checked out http://www.zykansafe.com/ I followed the links to http://www.zykansafe.com/vaultspanicrooms.html Now there are some great doors for a big gun vault or safe/panic room. My house has a fine "hidey hole" but it's not a gun vault and after seeing the picture of the safe that was busted into with an axe it makes me want to rethink my two safes. I thought they are good but that was an educational picture. If I come home and catch crook after doing that type of damage that the picture shows to either of my vaults he is going to be full of holes because I sure don't want to go hand to hand with him.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    after seeing the picture of the safe that was busted into with an axe it makes me want to rethink my two safes. I thought they are good but that was an educational picture.
    Here is another angle...
    You shouldn't be worried about crooks cracking your safe combination, when they can enter almost every gun safe with the most rudimentary tools.

thanks. Yet another task to add to my OCD list of to-dos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links