? about a 'new' shotgun

? about a 'new' shotgun

This is a discussion on ? about a 'new' shotgun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I aquired a shotgun recently, a Shavage Stevens model 67L, series E. It's a 12 ga. with a 34" "goose barrel". It's a pretty old ...

Thread: ? about a 'new' shotgun

? about a 'new' shotgun

I aquired a shotgun recently, a Shavage Stevens model 67L, series E.
    It's a 12 ga. with a 34" "goose barrel". It's a pretty old gun and was in some duress until I showed it a little TLC and CLP.

Does anyone have one or a similar shotgun and can give me some insight on Savages in general. I've heard of 'em but never owned on or shot one until I put a few #6's through it just before Christmas. I checked out the Shavage website and they didn't even list it.

I'm thinking I may be able to "play" with it or "cut it down" into a HD weapon maybe. I haven't found any place that sells 'extras' for a Savage. Anyone with any working knowledge and/or experence with this is greatly appreaciated.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

thats one shotgun you don't see many off. Why mess with it ?
    Just get you an old used 870 pump. Theres a billion of them around, especially here in Georgia.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Yeah....that's kinda my thought on it as well.
    I wanted to post the querry anyway to see if anyone has messed with this particular scattergun before.
    I like the 870's and Mossburgers much more anyway...but a 'freebie' is a 'freebie'
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Yeah....that's kinda my thought on it as well.

I like the 870's and Mossburgers much more anyway...but a 'freebie' is a 'freebie'
    Put it up for sale at www.shotgunworld.com , then go get that pump....

all in all.... making a defense weapon out of a bolt action....is just gonna get you frustrated.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

I wouldn't cut it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I aquired a shotgun recently, a Shavage Stevens model 67L, series E.
    It's a 12 ga. with a 34" "goose barrel". It's a pretty old gun and was in some duress until I showed it a little TLC and CLP.

Does anyone have one or a similar shotgun and can give me some insight on Savages in general. I've heard of 'em but never owned on or shot one until I put a few #6's through it just before Christmas. I checked out the Shavage website and they didn't even list it.

I'm thinking I may be able to "play" with it or "cut it down" into a HD weapon maybe. I haven't found any place that sells 'extras' for a Savage. Anyone with any working knowledge and/or experence with this is greatly appreaciated.
    I have this exact weapon. Purchased at a garage sale YEARS ago for $25 with no stocks. The guy said it didn't cycle. I took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, and it cycled OK. Mine has an 18.5" barrel.

It's seen several hundred shells with no serious problems - on a few occasions the bolt lock has failed and the bolt has "slammed back" immediately after firing the shell. It's only done that 3 or 4 times, but I keep a real tight grip on the fore-end when shooting this shotgun anyway. It's my designated home defense shotgun. Not accurate or versatile enough for skeet/hunting use.

For a home defense piece, it'll be fine - just put a few hundred through it and make sure it's reliable - especially with buckshot (or whatever you intend to load it with).

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I wonder about taking just the action and then building a target slug thrower with it. I have been having the idea in mind after reading a recent article where the author was pulling MOA accuracy out to 200 yds with some slug rounds.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I know little about this shotgun but HD accessories are usually made for specific guns. They are usually made for the Remington 870 and 1100, Mossberg 500 series or the Winchester 1200/1300 shotguns. I would keep the Savage the way it is and get another for the specific purpose. Check with CDNN and Shotgun News, you may be able to find some relatively inexpensive police trade-ins. Some departments are switching from the Remington to the Benelli.

i got a 1956 savage 12 ga pump shot gun that has been in the family from day one. best bird gun that i have used. savage made some good guns and i would try to track down the age of your gun before i cut it up. the old ones, like mine do not have any serial numbers on it. i don't think the savage steven brand are that old, possible around the 1980. any way they are all good guns. but i would keep it the way it is and get a remington 870 or some other brand to cut up.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sponsored Links