What Caliber for Cow?

This is a discussion on What Caliber for Cow? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The farmer should have a loading ramp. I suggest that you load the cow in a truck and haul it off to a slaughterhouse for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Caliber for Cow?

The farmer should have a loading ramp. I suggest that you load the cow in a truck and haul it off to a slaughterhouse for proper slaughter and disposal of the remains,(parts you dont want to feed the cats). The slaughterhouse will most likely do the job for free if you give them the hide/guts/head/tail,etc. They make baloney out of it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    So, the eye to the ear cris cross works to find the brain?
    Yes that works well . The important consideration is to " square up " on the cow , and then wait for her to lower her head , You want as close to 90 degrees on the forhead as possible . Properly done she will literally drop in her tracks and its all over without her being aware of anything so have her where you need her before you pop the cap lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Bullets move around too much when they hit bone, and the bang scares other animals. If a local herder can't lend you a bolt gun, a heavy hammer to the skull works just fine, and without the drama.

man, i want a pet lion!

Butchered our own meat on the ranch for many years. My grandfather's little Browning .22lr pistol never failed.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

phased plasma rifle, in the 40 watt range
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    phased plasma rifle, in the 40 watt range
    Ya' may have something there if it would both kill it and cook the steaks medium rare simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Yes that works well . The important consideration is to " square up " on the cow , and then wait for her to lower her head , You want as close to 90 degrees on the forhead as possible . Properly done she will literally drop in her tracks and its all over without her being aware of anything so have her where you need her before you pop the cap lol .
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    The farmer should have a loading ramp. I suggest that you load the cow in a truck and haul it off to a slaughterhouse for proper slaughter and disposal of the remains,(parts you dont want to feed the cats). The slaughterhouse will most likely do the job for free if you give them the hide/guts/head/tail,etc. They make baloney out of it.
    The hide and stuff is good for the cats. The butchering will be easy because I don't have to do it like you would for people.

Quote Originally Posted by What the? View Post
    Bullets move around too much when they hit bone, and the bang scares other animals. If a local herder can't lend you a bolt gun, a heavy hammer to the skull works just fine, and without the drama.
    I don't think other animals are an issue. I'd much rather use a pistol than beating it to death. Not that it wouldn't work, but I'm just more comfortable than the former.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I don't think other animals are an issue. I'd much rather use a pistol than beating it to death. Not that it wouldn't work, but I'm just more comfortable than the former.
    Ha, no, I don't mean that. I mean for you to use a bolt-gun (or a heavy hammer) to effectively knock out the animal, and then you would want to bleed it out. Please do not try Ultimate Fighting on cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    The butchering will be easy because I don't have to do it like you would for people.
    I know what you are saying, but this just is worded funny.

it will work fine.

A .22 long rifle should do it. A friend always uses his .410 shotgun with a slug to the head.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by What the? View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    The butchering will be easy because I don't have to do it like you would for people.

I know what you are saying, but this just is worded funny.

The last downer heifer I shot was with a .45 right between the eyes. While she couldn't drop because she was already on the ground she did die instantly without thrashing. My father shot several downer cows with his Ruger 22 Magnum with shots between the eyes with good results also. I think you need at least the energy of a 22 magnum for effectiveness but anything above that will work fine.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

as a kid we slaughtered cows and pigs on the farm. we used a 22lr pistol to drop the cows/pigs. if the pistol was not around a 22 rifle would work. dad could/would also use a hammer to drop them. one hit and they were down for the count.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links