Home Defense Pistol - Page 2

Home Defense Pistol

This is a discussion on Home Defense Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gddyup Another suggestion would be to carry one handgun on your person at all times so that you would not need to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Defense Pistol

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Another suggestion would be to carry one handgun on your person at all times so that you would not need to purchase a bunch of them to hide in certain locations. The fastest handgun, besides the one you're already holding in your hand, is gonna be the one on your hip, not the one in the next room over.
    I agree and plan to continue to carry at home but this is for when I take the gun out of my pocket for comfort sitting and have to run to the bathroom and oops I left my gun in my desk drawer. Or wake up at night and run to the bathroom Oops , gun is in my room not anywhere near me.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

My thoughts on home defense is that a pistol is a back-up piece for a long gun (shotgun or rifle). So I would engage Mr. Badguy with a long gun and use the pistol if the long gun jammed. About 70% of all people shot with handguns survive. With shotguns and rifles, about 70% of the people shot with them expire. If, however, you're thinking that your pistol needs to be a revolver, not a bad choice for over all reliability, I would recommend a S & W model 65 revolver in .357 caliber. That way you would have a stainless steel gun that is sturdy and close to maintence (you still DO have to periodically clean them) free, fixed sights that can't be knocked out of alignment and you can use either .357 magnum loads or .38 special loads in it. When you see a guy with an AK type rifle and a stainless steel revolver, you're looking at a man who feels reliability is important.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Duck hunting is regulated by Federal Law and a .22 cal is unlawful as is any rifle or handgun. Was this some type of private pen raised duck hunt? Just asking, since I thought stock ponds were watering holes for cattle and are subject to Federal Law.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Basic HD gun is usually my EDC (either a Kimber Pro or an Ultra)...
    For my wife, a S&W 637 with a CT laser...
    Additional welcoming committee includes a 'reworked' Stoeger coach gun...

Stay armed...intruders not welcome...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Another vote for the GP100. And, if you employ a shotgun (not at all a bad idea), please, for the love of all that's holy, don't use bird shot in it...unless, of course, your home is often invaded by violent criminal waterfowl...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Me, I think you are on the right track in keeping guns in various places in the house. I would think that any used revolver in good working condition should do just fine, .38 special or larger.

I have a great many guns in the safe that frankly aren't used for anything. They are all good guns, they just don't get any trigger time anymore. So several years ago I developed the practice of keeping some of them in strategic locations in the house, garage, and outbuildings. Given my location it would be thirty or forty minutes before I could expect any sort of help from the constabulary, and I prefer to have help more readily at hand.

Naturally I want these guns readily accessable and instantly available but well hidden. Consequently I designed and made little devices to help keep them concealed. If you will send me an email, I'll send you photos on how to do it.

Of course, if you constant carry even while at home, there isn't much need for a bunch of hideout guns around the house. But I'm too lazy and comfort oriented to do that. I'm satisfied to just have one at arm's length.

A good used Smith K-frame would be ideal for your needs. My choice is a Model 15 but any would work very well.

Here is another good choice. 40VE
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Any of the rugers speed six,security six and gp 100 are built like a tank and
    should last a lifetime.You should be able to pick them up at a reasonable price.
    I'd buy a 357 because it gives you the option of loading with 38's if you chose.
    I have several pistols scattered about the house as it seems to be the right thing to do at this point in my life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links