Defensive Carry banner

Home Defense Pistol

3K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  Stetson 
#1 ·
So here is my question, I am starting to think about and save for the purchase of my own home. I I also want to place firearms in certain places in the house so that, even though I do carry in the house, I will have one near by if I may not have mine on for what ever reason.

I was thinking revolvers since there is less to go wrong. Any ideas of 38 or 357 size at a low cost as I would most likely be buying 2 or 3.

Thanks

#2 ·
Ruger GP100 - they are fantastically reliable, very accurate, and inexpensive. I've had mine for over 15 years now and would never sell it.

#3 ·
are you sold on having handguns as your home defense....IMO the best defense for home is a pump shotgun...with #6, 7 or 8 shot...devastating at relatively close ranges...but won't penatrate walls...
Also having a safe room in each floor of your house in which you live is also a good idea.
If you are going to go with revolvers...I rec either rugers or S&W's...

#4 ·
are you sold on having handguns as your home defense....IMO the best defense for home is a pump shotgun...with #6, 7 or 8 shot...devastating at relatively close ranges...but won't penatrate walls...
I will have at least one shotgun but these would be my get to shotgun gun.

I was thinking one in the bathroom, one in my home office one in the kitchen but that is dependent on the home lay out.

#6 ·
The first handgun I purchased was a Rossi 461 6 shot in .357. I have been happy with it. They can be found for under 300. Also Tauruses are worth a look.

#9 ·
I'm suggesting a good used (less expensive and no lock) Smith & Wesson Model 10. I have a number of handguns but have used and carried the same Model 10 4-inch Heavy Barrel for 30+ years. It's been heavily used too and has yet to hiccup. The odd bad primer has caused it to go "click" instead of "boom" over the years but another chance is instantly available with the stroke of it's smooth DA trigger, a problem much more problematic with a semi-auto. I subscribe to the six-for-sure line of thought.

Photos taken last January after a duck hunt

It's gone many miles in this old S&W holster, its home in the field, whether in harsh duck blinds or traipsing over our old home place on field excursions.

My brother-in-law and I pointing at his Beretta .22 Long Rifle squirt which save the day on a cripple that was escaping across a large stock tank. Bo ranged the duck with a couple of shots and then popped him with the pip-squeak. There are 3 bag limits in the photo. Nephew Ben took his share and took the photo.

#10 ·
I think that any decent used Smith - 10,13,64,65,66 would be great. CDNN has some 64s and some .38 Ruger SP101s. Police trade ins would be excellent for your purposes. If you can find some Ruger security six or speed six revolvers that they are also excellent.

#12 ·
Another suggestion would be to carry one handgun on your person at all times so that you would not need to purchase a bunch of them to hide in certain locations. The fastest handgun, besides the one you're already holding in your hand, is gonna be the one on your hip, not the one in the next room over.

#16 ·
I agree and plan to continue to carry at home but this is for when I take the gun out of my pocket for comfort sitting and have to run to the bathroom and oops I left my gun in my desk drawer. Or wake up at night and run to the bathroom Oops , gun is in my room not anywhere near me.

#13 ·
My personal favorite is my two & half inch Ruger security six w/ 2 rubber speed loaders that work like speed strips . I agree with the shotgun idea but what if a love one is in the same room,hallway or doorway ? Handgun is best choice IMO . I prefer revolvers at home , that is ANYTHING from RUGER . Oh don't forget a good LED flashlight .

#14 ·
hmmm, well I carry a GP100 and a 642 but for home defense, I rely on my Mossy 590 and I keep a Taurus PT145 on the nightstand. The 11 + 1 .45 ACP pocket cannon has a light on the rail and I think would be a bit easier on my ears than the .357 mag when fired indoors.

If attacked by terrorists, however, I always have the M1 Garand at the back door...just in case sombody takes pot shots at me from the Christmas tree farm out back.

#15 ·
DawgFvr - You are from my hometown! How are things up there? Cold? Nice Garand - its beautiful.

I will jump in and say + another vote for GP100s if that's the way you want to do it. As for shotguns, birdshot is for birds. IMO a very bad idea to rely on it for defense.

Austin

#17 ·
My thoughts on home defense is that a pistol is a back-up piece for a long gun (shotgun or rifle). So I would engage Mr. Badguy with a long gun and use the pistol if the long gun jammed. About 70% of all people shot with handguns survive. With shotguns and rifles, about 70% of the people shot with them expire. If, however, you're thinking that your pistol needs to be a revolver, not a bad choice for over all reliability, I would recommend a S & W model 65 revolver in .357 caliber. That way you would have a stainless steel gun that is sturdy and close to maintence (you still DO have to periodically clean them) free, fixed sights that can't be knocked out of alignment and you can use either .357 magnum loads or .38 special loads in it. When you see a guy with an AK type rifle and a stainless steel revolver, you're looking at a man who feels reliability is important.

#18 ·
Duck hunting is regulated by Federal Law and a .22 cal is unlawful as is any rifle or handgun. Was this some type of private pen raised duck hunt? Just asking, since I thought stock ponds were watering holes for cattle and are subject to Federal Law.

#19 ·
Basic HD gun is usually my EDC (either a Kimber Pro or an Ultra)...
For my wife, a S&W 637 with a CT laser...
Additional welcoming committee includes a 'reworked' Stoeger coach gun...

Stay armed...intruders not welcome...stay safe!

#20 ·
Another vote for the GP100. And, if you employ a shotgun (not at all a bad idea), please, for the love of all that's holy, don't use bird shot in it...unless, of course, your home is often invaded by violent criminal waterfowl...

#21 ·
Me, I think you are on the right track in keeping guns in various places in the house. I would think that any used revolver in good working condition should do just fine, .38 special or larger.

I have a great many guns in the safe that frankly aren't used for anything. They are all good guns, they just don't get any trigger time anymore. So several years ago I developed the practice of keeping some of them in strategic locations in the house, garage, and outbuildings. Given my location it would be thirty or forty minutes before I could expect any sort of help from the constabulary, and I prefer to have help more readily at hand.

Naturally I want these guns readily accessable and instantly available but well hidden. Consequently I designed and made little devices to help keep them concealed. If you will send me an email, I'll send you photos on how to do it.

Of course, if you constant carry even while at home, there isn't much need for a bunch of hideout guns around the house. But I'm too lazy and comfort oriented to do that. I'm satisfied to just have one at arm's length.

#23 ·
Any of the rugers speed six,security six and gp 100 are built like a tank and
should last a lifetime.You should be able to pick them up at a reasonable price.
I'd buy a 357 because it gives you the option of loading with 38's if you chose.
I have several pistols scattered about the house as it seems to be the right thing to do at this point in my life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.