Home Defense Pistol

This is a discussion on Home Defense Pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So here is my question, I am starting to think about and save for the purchase of my own home. I I also want to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Pistol

me [OP]

Home Defense Pistol

So here is my question, I am starting to think about and save for the purchase of my own home. I I also want to place firearms in certain places in the house so that, even though I do carry in the house, I will have one near by if I may not have mine on for what ever reason.

I was thinking revolvers since there is less to go wrong. Any ideas of 38 or 357 size at a low cost as I would most likely be buying 2 or 3.

Thanks
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

Ruger GP100 - they are fantastically reliable, very accurate, and inexpensive. I've had mine for over 15 years now and would never sell it.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    are you sold on having handguns as your home defense....IMO the best defense for home is a pump shotgun...with #6, 7 or 8 shot...devastating at relatively close ranges...but won't penatrate walls...
    Also having a safe room in each floor of your house in which you live is also a good idea.
    If you are going to go with revolvers...I rec either rugers or S&W's...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    are you sold on having handguns as your home defense....IMO the best defense for home is a pump shotgun...with #6, 7 or 8 shot...devastating at relatively close ranges...but won't penatrate walls...
    I will have at least one shotgun but these would be my get to shotgun gun.

I was thinking one in the bathroom, one in my home office one in the kitchen but that is dependent on the home lay out.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I'll second Fatboy97s GP100 suggestion. Great revolver for house or carry.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...4&d=1197566698

The first handgun I purchased was a Rossi 461 6 shot in .357. I have been happy with it. They can be found for under 300. Also Tauruses are worth a look.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My home defense gun is my conceal carry gun, HK USP .45
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    Also having a safe room in each floor of your house in which you live is also a good idea.
    If you are going to go with revolvers...I rec either rugers or S&W's...
    You will be very surprised what a shotgun will penetrate. Typical drywall is no problem for any shotgun.

I suggest you start shopping for and picking up used j frames when you find them. The can be had cheap from time to time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm suggesting a good used (less expensive and no lock) Smith & Wesson Model 10. I have a number of handguns but have used and carried the same Model 10 4-inch Heavy Barrel for 30+ years. It's been heavily used too and has yet to hiccup. The odd bad primer has caused it to go "click" instead of "boom" over the years but another chance is instantly available with the stroke of it's smooth DA trigger, a problem much more problematic with a semi-auto. I subscribe to the six-for-sure line of thought.

Photos taken last January after a duck hunt

It's gone many miles in this old S&W holster, its home in the field, whether in harsh duck blinds or traipsing over our old home place on field excursions.

My brother-in-law and I pointing at his Beretta .22 Long Rifle squirt which save the day on a cripple that was escaping across a large stock tank. Bo ranged the duck with a couple of shots and then popped him with the pip-squeak. There are 3 bag limits in the photo. Nephew Ben took his share and took the photo.

I think that any decent used Smith - 10,13,64,65,66 would be great. CDNN has some 64s and some .38 Ruger SP101s. Police trade ins would be excellent for your purposes. If you can find some Ruger security six or speed six revolvers that they are also excellent.

I believe in consistency. 1911 for carry, 1911 for home (plus that 870 loaded with buckshot).

Another suggestion would be to carry one handgun on your person at all times so that you would not need to purchase a bunch of them to hide in certain locations. The fastest handgun, besides the one you're already holding in your hand, is gonna be the one on your hip, not the one in the next room over.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

My personal favorite is my two & half inch Ruger security six w/ 2 rubber speed loaders that work like speed strips . I agree with the shotgun idea but what if a love one is in the same room,hallway or doorway ? Handgun is best choice IMO . I prefer revolvers at home , that is ANYTHING from RUGER . Oh don't forget a good LED flashlight .

hmmm, well I carry a GP100 and a 642 but for home defense, I rely on my Mossy 590 and I keep a Taurus PT145 on the nightstand. The 11 + 1 .45 ACP pocket cannon has a light on the rail and I think would be a bit easier on my ears than the .357 mag when fired indoors.

If attacked by terrorists, however, I always have the M1 Garand at the back door...just in case sombody takes pot shots at me from the Christmas tree farm out back.

DawgFvr - You are from my hometown! How are things up there? Cold? Nice Garand - its beautiful.

I will jump in and say + another vote for GP100s if that's the way you want to do it. As for shotguns, birdshot is for birds. IMO a very bad idea to rely on it for defense.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links