Range Report of sorts...

This is a discussion on Range Report of sorts... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some of you may know that I am some what of an airgun hobbiest too. I just picked up a new one earlier this week. ...

Thread: Range Report of sorts...

Administrator

Range Report of sorts...

Some of you may know that I am some what of an airgun hobbiest too. I just picked up a new one earlier this week. Its a Crosman 357. While its not the most impressive co2 gun out there, I've wanted another one since I broke mine years ago.
    I was picking up some shells for clays at Dicks, and I noticed that they were on sale for 39. and change.... so I pounced on it.

This thing is neat! Its fairly powerful at a claimed 435 fps out of the 6" barrel... I think it might be doing a touch better than that. Its well made for the price point, most of the parts that matter are metal, but it still has a lot of plastic. It does feel fairly real and similar to the Python it was modeled after in hand.
    It came with 2 rotary 10 shot magazines... you can buy more from Crosman for a $1.00 a piece. I have 5 more on the way. Ammo is super cheap of course, I paid $2.00 for a tin of 500 wadcutter pellets.
    Granted, they are not the best of quality airgun pellets, but they will do just fine for killing pop cans. CO2 is a little more expensive, but its not all that bad considering.

On to the range... I have an airgun range in my basement. I set up five pop cans and went back to the 20ft line. A couple of seconds later, I was setting up the cans again. This plinker is pretty accurate and fast too. The trigger is better than most factory revolvers you find in the gun shop. The sights are plain black, I gotta change that because I mostly shoot in the basement, and the lighting isnt the best.
    Its a little louder than I expected too, but not so loud that it disturbed the rest of the family upstairs, or requires any kind of hearing protection. In fact, I had some guests visiting for the holidays, they had no idea what was going on downstairs.

I took it outdoors this afternoon to do some longer range stuff. Again, I set up some pop cans and backed up about 25yds. Shooting at this range required some adjusting and Kentucky windage, but remember, we are talking about an cheap air pistol here. I had no trouble smacking the pop cans at this distance. I was left impressed and wanting to shoot more, but my crybaby neighbors took notice of the pop cans falling in the yard, so I quit while I was ahead.

It very economical to shoot. It is cheap practice to keep up on the basics. I was getting about 50 shots per co2 cartridge, if I wanted full power, I would have changed the cartridge at about 40 shots. But you dont need all that power for plinking anyway.

This gun is a fun plinker... not much more. I cant say it would be a good choice for pest control, it just doesnt have that kind of power. It does do an effective job at killing pop and soup cans and reasonable distances. I'm going to experiment with different pellets and bolts, maybe I can get an extra 100 fps or so out of it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Sixto,

I've had a Crossman .357 airgun revolver for a few years now. I paid $50 for it at a local sporting goods store. I have an airgun range setup indoors (in my garage, consisting of a styrafoam cooler full of rags that I put targets on, with a heavy blanket hung behind it in case of over penetration) and like to practice quickdrawing/point shooting/etc... this way sometimes.

The Crossman .357 has been pretty reliable, but the clasp that keeps the barrel locked in the upright position has gotten flimsy over time. The barrel now has some "play" when locked into place, which has changed the point of impact about a half inch low at 25 ft (length of my garage). I've also noticed the rear sight needs re-adjusting (mostly elevation-wise) every now and then.

CO2 consumption also seems a bit higher than my other pellet guns - this may be for the same reason you can't silence a revolver (the cylinder/forcing cone gap). I also only get about 45-50 shots on a cartridge, compared to 60+ with some of my other CO2 pellet guns.

My favorite feature of it is that you can mount accessories to the ribbbed "rail" on top - I bought a cheap holo laser sight for about $20 (and although I decided I didn't like it) it works great. I've also put a scope from one of my pellet/.22 rifles on it successfully.

That airgun has taken a few rats, and scared off a lot of raccoons. If Crossman would fix the barrel "clasp" thing, I'd give it an A+.

Quick off-topic question: if you recover a pellet from your backstop and it doesn't seem at all deformed (the "skirt" is still round, nose isn't flattened, etc...) do you re-shoot them?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Administrator
    No, I dont reshoot them. I suppose it could be done, but as cheap as pellets are I dont want to risk any possible damage. I'm sure it would do fine at shooting rats and chipmunks...
    Crosman will send you a new latch for your gun, its a common thing that wears with use. Their customer service is pretty good.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Yeah... that brings back memorys.

Back in the day a friend of mine had one. We spent many hours shooting it, I'd guess that we shot over a ton of pellets in it.

Our favorite thing was competeing against each other. We would set up little green army men and keep backing up until it was pure luck just to hit one and knock it down.

It was alot of fun.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Crosman used to offer a 8" barrel too. Might up the FPS a bit. The rifled barrel is nice and seems to help with accuracy. I painted my front sight orange for contrast. Mine killed a lot of squirrels when I was younger. They were quite the pests, chewing thru wiring on cars and snowmobiles.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yeah... that brings back memorys.

Back in the day a friend of mine had one. We spent many hours shooting it, I'd guess that we shot over a ton of pellets in it.

Our favorite thing was competeing against each other. We would set up little green army men and keep backing up until it was pure luck just to hit one and knock it down.

It was alot of fun.
    Was? It still is in my book!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links