Keeping guns/ammo in hot car?

This is a discussion on Keeping guns/ammo in hot car? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a nice range bag setup that I like to keep loaded up with my shooting gear, some cleaning supplies/tools/etc. and various ammo. Anything ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping guns/ammo in hot car?

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

Keeping guns/ammo in hot car?

I have a nice range bag setup that I like to keep loaded up with my shooting gear, some cleaning supplies/tools/etc. and various ammo. Anything to worry about or any precautions to take if it stays in my hot (FL) car for several hours at a time? I'd like to keep 2-3 handguns in there as well for those quick stops at the range. I also bought some Bore-Store soft cases that I keep the handguns in within the range bag. I'll probably keep everything in he trunk most of the time to help avoid any theft.

Thanks for any input.

2. Remove Ads

If your car ever gets hot enough to cook off ammo, you will be worrying about buying a new car, not new ammo.

You should worry about securing the guns in your car... The ammo will be fine.

Senior Moderator
    Unless your car is on fire you don't have to worry about it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies,

Any worries with my lubes (Militec/Eezox)? Can the extended periods of heat hurt the gun's finishes/grips/plastic parts any?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Thanks for the replies,

Any worries with my lubes (Militec/Eezox)? Can the extended periods of heat hurt the gun's finishes/grips/plastic parts any?

Thanks again.
    I'm no chemical engineer, but I'd think that anything designed to take the abuse a gun puts out should stand up to some relatively low sustained temperatures. I've never had a problem storing my guns in my car, even when temperatures reached 100+ degrees f. I did have the rubber grips on a 1911 feel more supple after a month in my car in California.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

could always mount a small safe in your trunk.
    i wouldnt worry about the heat.

I kept a loaded firearm for short periods of time (a few hours) in a vehicle in florida for 2 years on and off. My car never went boom. I think you'd have more issues then ammo cooking off if it ever got hot enough to do that. I would think you've got more of a moisture issue with the evil humidity and bad ammo than anything else(if you use non-sealed primers in cheapie reload ammo).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Worried about heat, do as I do. When I was shooting Fashion Photography I used to put my Cameras and film in Insulated containers Then coverd the containers with a wool blanket, this kept my Cameras and film cool If I had to leave them in a car on a hot day. Film is far more sensitive to heat then ammo. I use the same method for my ammo. You can get insulated picnick baskets and or coolers in most stores such as Fred Meyer, Lowes, etc. You will be amazed how well they work at keeping things cool, especially if covered with a folded wool blanket.

Just to give you an idea... It takes heat in excess of 275° to cook off a centerfire handgun round.

That will be close to melting all the plastic on the inside of your car.

Ammo sits in metal containers under scorching heat in Iraq/Afghanistan current and has been for 100 yrs. past in those same locations as well deserts too during the past world wars and efforts of the British against everyone.

As others noted above the ammo and arms will be fine.
    It's securing your vehicle well that is of highest concern.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Duplicate.

Janq is correct, however this is less than ideal. A cheap and easy solution is to put the ammo in a styrofoam cooler. As far as lubes etc... they are designed to work in heat/cold and should be fine.

Austin

Mythbusters did a test and it took something like 450 degrees to cook off the rounds. And without the round being secured by something (like a gun chamber) the round would do little damage to anything (you need to worry about the case flying, not the bullet, in such situations).

Rustynuts is right. Saw that episode of Mythbusters and there is no chance of it getting hot enough in your car to affect anything at all.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    JA cheap and easy solution is to put the ammo in a styrofoam cooler.
    Austin
    Styrofoam would work for short term storage to minimize temp fluctuations, but for prolonged periods, the inside will get to the same temp as the outside! Coolers aren't magic, they just delay the inevitable heat transfer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links