What of yours do people always want to see?

This is a discussion on What of yours do people always want to see? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This isn't really a thread about any sort of tactics, a particular model, or personal preferences, but more of a human interest story. I don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What of yours do people always want to see?

What of yours do people always want to see?

This isn't really a thread about any sort of tactics, a particular model, or personal preferences, but more of a human interest story.

I don't have a huge battery of handguns but I have amassed a variety and it seems a lot of them get attention at the range or other venues where handguns are displayed or used. Here's some of mine that really get a lot of attention:

My Smith and Wesson 686-2. Yes that's right. A 4" bbl .357 Magnum revolver. The classic Combat Revolver more or less. My personal favorite platform for a do it all handgun and one I'd trust to save my life, but also one of the most common things out there because its diversity is appreciated by so many people. Yet I continuously run into people who say they have never seen a revolver like this one. Every revolver they've ever seen is either a little .38 or some giant cannon. I've had people ask to fire a shot off because they have never fired a revolver before because they didn't know there was anything between the little bitty pocket gun and the deer slaying super magnum.

This next one I've only had a few months... my 629-4. I have loads of fun with this gun. See I've learned if I want to clear out a range, all I have to do is fire one cylinder of .44 Magnum catridges and half the people will leave. I've had men stop dead in their tracks and women scream when I've fired this thing. I laugh on the inside because I know there's bigger and badder out there. Now what's funny is that among whoever is left, they ALWAYS ask what it is, what caliber it is, can they touch it, etc. I've never had anyone ask to fire this one yet however.

Last but not least my still relatively new just now showing the holster wear XD40. This one doesn't get me groupies like the wheelguns do (in my dreams) but it attracts the hard core Glock guys who always want to hold it and look down its sights. These are the "If it's not Glock it's crap" crowd too. I usually get a backhanded compliment or a simple "Huh". What I keep expecting to happen is one of these guys will think it's the latest mall ninja fad and suddenly there'll be XDs all over the range. You would think as widely dispersed as they are these guys had seen an XD before, but many of them haven't. The questions I always get are "Where'd you get 12 round capacity magazines?" "Where did you get one in stainless and why?" and sometimes "They make this in .40 caliber?"

Guns are always interesting to me in that even a common one that I don't think much of myself (even though I like it) can completely intrigue another person. People stare at these things like they were $4000 race guns sometimes. To me they're just some guns I wanted but to these people they're amazing wonders. I mean honestly I want to laugh at some people for flipping out over some old Smith and Wesson sometimes.

Of course sometimes I do the same thing like the first time I got to play with a USP. I still think that gun is as cool as all get out and I never get to be around a $1200 gun like that. But the owner of that USP didn't think anything of it. It was just another gun to him. I'm sure that guy was laughing at me for flipping out over some old HK.

What do you have that other people just seem amazed by and always want to see that you don't think is all that impressive or amazing? Or heck maybe you do think it is impressive and amazing and that's why it's yours.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The .300 Whisper AR-15 seems to get alot of attention.

Since it has a detachable suppressor, people are always wanting to shoot it. Me being the nice sort of guy that I am, naturally I let them.

Since most people have never shot a suppressed rifle, they get a kick out of it.Most ofthem are amazed at not the sound of the shot, but the fact that the 220 grain bullet sounds about like a brick hitting a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

They had no idea of how loud bullet impact is...having never heard it do to the gunfire.

Yeah that's something I've never shot! I have no idea what legal loopholes you'd have to go through for something like that.

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - lemme see!

I guess because of my propensity for hand cannons - they usually grab any onlooker's attention - plus (sometimes only) a request to try em out.

The 45-70 BFR is often more intriguing to folks than the .454 Casull - probably because the cylinder is so obscenely large and with that I guess the appearance of a big mofo rifle round too!

This extends further to include screamer loads thru Ruger #1 - not an over heavy rifle but feels like a darned Buffalo piece!

Because this cartridge, whether a load for BFR or the Ruger screamer load, is throwing a heavy bullet - at 100 yds you can still hear the bullet hit a steel plate - and it is one heck of a whack!

Another gun that usually gains some interest is the Hakim rifle, probably because it looks rather odd and is not that common.

Back to handguns (sorry I strayed!) - the R9 is usually inspected with some interest and folks like trying it - it is still for most an ''unusual'' gun.

The T/C Contender is another popular piece for some - and many are amazed at its accuracy. Those who try it with the .223 barrel (14") usually ''fall in love''

I guess overall there are many that garner interest - just depends who is there. If I have a M27 Smith out for excercize then it will sometimes be enjoyed simply because it is (for some) a rather large 357 and also a beautifully blued gun too.

One other worthy of a mention is the CZ-52 - that tho is mainly cos of sound and flash!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Hmmm....

Those who get to see my guns are gunnies and most tend to have more guns than I do, and more than one model of what I have.

I guess my old Luger and my little .32-20 Martini would be the most interesting pieces.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

People are usually interested in my P226ST after I shoot a few rounds, but then, that's all they usually see, so...
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Suprisingly most of the SP's here on base love to look at my 1911 whenever I'm at the armory. And all of the Auggies want to know what it is, and if it's anything like the M9.

A1C Lickey

Grandpappy's 1873 Trapdoor Springfield 45-70 usually gets a lot of attention.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    My AR-15 set up for accuracy work - bull barrel, floated handguard, flattop, Nikon scope.

My M-1 Garand (mainly by those who know what it is). I get a kick out of telling them how I paid $300 for it and it was delivered by the US Postal Service!

My Browning Hi Power. This one I don't understand. It is in 40S&W, but you can't really tell that by casually looking at it. People act like they've never seen one before.

Actually I don't see a lot of BHPs. I think I've only seen two in person.

The Carbon 15 pistol is always good for a crowd and someone thinking they're going to get kicked into next week shooting it, but never are.

The Uzis always draw people wanting to play with 'em.

The Sig 226 in .357 draws stares as they try to figure out what it is and what exactly is making that godawful racket.

My FALs are generally invisible - that is, unless I'm either plinking bottles at 400m and people wonder how a semi-auto can hit them, or I'm doing rapid-fire drills and dispensing 20 rounds in a couple seconds.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

usually i get asked to see one form of 1911 or another and the 454 casull

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Most people ignore me at the range, they're watching my girlfriend work the AR-15.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    .454 Casull carbine and my .50 Beowulf. The Desert Eagle brings a few ?'s cuz they see it in movies.-------

My SAR-1. As for handguns, I have mostly boring handguns. Most often it's the Beretta 92 I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links