Do you throw away your ammo box's?

This is a discussion on Do you throw away your ammo box's? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I actually burn or throw away my ammo box's at the range, I never use my own trash to discard them. I do this with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you throw away your ammo box's?

Do you throw away your ammo box's?

I actually burn or throw away my ammo box's at the range, I never use my own trash to discard them.

I do this with many other items too just for identity safety, I burn most all paper work, cc applications, new electronics boxes that I buy, etc.

But this thread is mostly about your ammo boxes and any gun related anything that you would throw out. I buy ammo by the cases so I have a lot of boxes, the box it came in, etc.

I saw a friend that I use to work with a while back that actually became a LEO, he would go to class at night while still working. Anyway, a couple of years go by and I hadn't talked to him and one day I was at my dad's house and the trash man is coming down the street. My dad's trash was not at the curb so I motioned towards it and my dad said, don't worry, that's Tim in the truck and if it's not out he will make sure and get it and come up to the house and chat, etc. Since your here I know he will want to talk to you. I was like Tim who? Your buddy, Tim. Puzzled I looked over and he was right, it was Tim coming off of the trash truck.

Turns out, he makes more money with much less hassle driving a trash truck and said he actually liked it cause he could work fast and get his route done and take the rest of the day of or find another route that needed to be done and work OT. He said if he could just be a cop he would still be doing it but with all the other BS he had to deal with was just not worth it.

Fast forward our conversation, he obviously knows I have gun's and I shoot a lot because we would go all the time to the range when we had more time. He said be sure and never throw away any ammo boxes or anything that would tie gun's to your house because he works with some shady people that break open every bag they throw in the truck to see if there is anything they want as well as figure out what type of things you are throwing out. He couldn't confirm it but said that it was funny how people will get burglarized because of this on these routes. Said he started picking up on it when he would work other routes if that person was off that day, called in or whatever and Tim being the great guy he is would talk to all of the home owners on the route that were out in the yard and chat with them.

Several would tell him about there break-in’s throughout the neighborhood and they couldn't figure out who it was or why they were being targeted. After going on more routes and talking to more homeowners he found a pattern of this happening, I guess once a cop always a cop! But he found that this was not happening on his route and others that had been with the company for a long time, etc.

So he started talking to the drivers on these routes kind of inquiring or talking about the customers telling him of these break in's just for small talk (no one knows he was an ex cop). Turns out several of the drivers are look out's either for themselves or to provide info for others that want your stuff and this is one of the way's they gain information as to what is in your house and he was sure they would get paid for providing the information. He also said that some would keep records of the "good" houses on what they were finding that they were throwing away. It could be from a jewelry box's up to a LCD TV box and everything in-between. He also said you wouldn't believe what people would/will throw away.

First thing he said was, do not throw anything away gun related, anything! Said to be very careful what you do throw out and to get rid of it a different way such as burning it. I had already been doing that but since then I have stepped it up to much more than that.

An example would be Christmas, all the boxes of the presents were either burned or taken to my office and tossed in the dumpster there. If you are not allowed to have a burn pile at your house then use your bbq pit or buy an outside pit that it can be controlled. It's slower but will work fine.

I thought it was interesting enough to pass on the info as I am sure many do not think about it. I did and had been doing that with several things gun related and mail related but what I throw out is even more controlled now.

Keep the gun stuff to yourself, same as concealed is concealed. Food for thought!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

That never crossed my mind, and I'm usually careful about things like that!

Everybody has guns up here.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    I discard the type of cartons your talking about. However; just by chance, I haul them to the recycling center and they go in the communal bins.
    Our police dept., for the first time, cautioned our citizens about the same issues you brought up, over the pre Christmas season.

Since I don't have trash service....it just doesn't really matter, BUT, you do have a valid point and it is something I can pass on to others... thanks
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    No trash service here, I've got to load up the truck and take it to the dump myself. No prying eyes, no worries!

VIP Member
    Ti you are out at an area that you can burn trash. Here in the city and really not that far from you, trash goes into a dumpster with other people trash. Beside I usually do not load up the weapons I'm going to shoot at the range till I get to the range. So my trash goes into their trash.

so far i have kept them because i put my reloads in them.
    but even if i didnt. i have no problem throwing away stuff.
    there are a LOT easier ways someone can find out i have guns in the house.

Heh.. we've got a big shredder at work.. I use the small one at home for cc apps and junk mail stuff.. I take ammo boxes, gun, tv boxes.. all that to work and toss it into the shredder that will eat damn near everything.. I think it stopped one day when someone threw a copper pipe in it..

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    so far i have kept them because i put my reloads in them.
    but even if i didnt. i have no problem throwing away stuff.
    there are a LOT easier ways someone can find out i have guns in the house.
    Name them, it can help the thread? and why would you consider giving away your position on what you have? We are all trying to be smarter than that. Why not compress that amount of way's the info can be obtained.

If you throw away multiple boxes of ammo in differnt calibers, 9mm, .40S&W, 44mag, .357, .270, .300, 30-30, etc, they know what you have. It's like not going into areas that you know are bad and can be avoided.

I smell future victim.

vic·tim (vktm) KEY

NOUN:

One who is harmed or killed by another: a victim of a mugging.

A living creature slain and offered as a sacrifice during a religious rite.

One who is harmed by or made to suffer from an act, circumstance, agency, or condition:
    victims of war.

A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking: You are a victim of your own scheming.

A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of: the victim of a cruel hoax.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Everyone has guns up here. Even my UPS driver and the mail man are shooters.

Assistant Administrator
    Probably wise to play things safe .... apart from reloading reducing factory type boxes I also use and re-use MTM ammo boxes.

Any factory boxes usually end up either in range trash bin or, go in my burn barrel. I could tho see in some intances how a large number of boxes could shout ''guns'' - if ID'd back to origin. Certainly best not to show too much - same applies to much that comes in the mail too - shred or burn ... or both.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Damn, now you tell me...
    I just tossed out my new iMac and Cannon printer boxes...

My wife (armed) and the two canines are almost at home anyway, but I get the point. I already shred all important papers, but I didn't think about the boxes...

Good Tip!

Stay armed...watch your trash...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I dispose of my ammo boxes at the range.
    I shred all documents and addresses on mag subscriptions, etc..
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

All documents are shredded.
    My trash is dumped into the back of a BIG truck with a mechanical arm, only one trash man (the driver) and he RARELY gets out of the truck.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links