HK?

This is a discussion on HK? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO The initial price isnt what makes them expensive, its the total cost of ownership. If you want a light mounted, you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HK?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The initial price isnt what makes them expensive, its the total cost of ownership. If you want a light mounted, you have to buy HK. Any parts you need they have to come direct from HK. HK fleeces you when you buy the pistol and when you need to upkeep the pistol. They just are not all that great to justify the price.

Dont quite follow the light statement. I have a p2000 .40sw that is my everyday concealed carry. And at home at night it gets a streamlight added to it. It is built like a tank and a little pricer than other brands, but what price do you put on reliability and knowing that when it's needed it will work.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWINNC View Post
    Dont quite follow the light statement. I have a p2000 .40sw that is my everyday concealed carry. And at home at night it gets a streamlight added to it. It is built like a tank and a little pricer than other brands, but what price do you put on reliability and knowing that when it's needed it will work.
    I was refering to the USP's... the rail was different and required the use of only HK products.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Comparison to Glock

I have 2 H&K USPs, the .45 full size and the .40 compact. I use the .45 as a range and home defense gun, and the .40 compact as a sometimes carry gun. I have a very good opinion of the USPs, as they are absolutely reliable and more accurate than most handguns.

The USP .40 compact is comparable to the Glock 23 in many ways. It is almost exactly the same size and weight as the Glock, holds a similar number of rounds, and is reliable like the Glock.

But the USP seems to be a superior gun to the Glock in most respects. It has more trigger options, a more comfortable grip, better accuracy (in my hands, anyway), and is much better looking. When you field strip both guns and examine the parts closely, the USP shows greater attention to detail in design and manufacture. I am not surprised that the USP costs more than the Glock, based on the observable higher quality and parts cost.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Lead Moderator
    I was refering to the USP's... the rail was different and required the use of only HK products.
    Unless you put a adapter rail on (like the one on mine in the pic/post.) However it doesn't fit well in a formed holster .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Absolutely correct. Major flaw. The fact that I had to spend $20 for a quality GGG adapter is unforgivable. This design flaw by HK seriously undermines its effectiveness. But now any common light or laser will clamp in place.

This is a reference to another website: http://www.streetpro.com/usp/hksocom.html

HKs are used by some of America's most elite military units, including the Navy SEALs, Air Force Special Operations Wing, and the Army Green Berets, Rangers, and Special Operations Aviation.

But what do they know?! The real clincher for the average consumer is that Jack Bauer (24) switched from his original SIG to a USP Compact a couple years ago. Why? The production manager stated that since they needed to use a variety of ammunition, in testing, the HK was the only handgun that would digest whatever they fed it.

BTW, the P2000, P2000SK, P30 and HK45 do not need any adapters for lights.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I carry my USP .40c every day. Overall, theyre very good guns. Mine hardly has any issues at all. However SIXTO is dead on with his assesment of the USP line's cost. I was lucky - I picked mine up for $530. Since then, I've incurred no costs and that was ~15,000 rounds and 6 years ago.

I've heard a few horror stories about their customer service as well - which tends to be that they more or less try to ignore their civilian market. I've never experienced it myself and most of what I have heard tends to be internet lore.

Some people rabidly hate HK owners. The guys over at arizonashooters.com all love Glocks and for some reason I got the impression that they considered HK owners to just be snobby bigots. I spent two hours reading the website before I closed it and never looked back. Sucks but whats the point in posting if you only get attacked?

More accurate? Maybe. But I don't think thats much of the idea. I tend to think that the shooter is primarily responsible for the accuracy. BUT.... it helps if you are used to the gun. i.e.: I can't hit ANYTHING with Glocks. I'm everywhere with zero consistancy - then the owner will step up and shoot 10's all day. Take that for whatever you want.

Overall, they're damned fine firearms - if you can afford them. I rely on mine every day and its my constant companion. However, they're not for everyone. Find one to try it out before you buy it. I wouldn't say they are worth the $880 you'll pay after tax. For the money, you'd probably be better off saving a little longer and getting a really nice 1911. But if you can find a deal like I did? Pick one up.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Some people rabidly hate HK owners. The guys over at arizonashooters.com all love Glocks and for some reason I got the impression that they considered HK owners to just be snobby bigots. I spent two hours reading the website before I closed it and never looked back. Sucks but whats the point in posting if you only get attacked?
    I had to chuckle...your comment reminds me of Harleys and all other bikes...

Mine is a USP compact 40...it goes with me everywhere I can carry and conceal.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Crucible, You should at least give a look to the Wilson ADP which is akin to a poly, gas retarded, blowback, fixed barrel, double stack (10 rounds) pistol.
    Thanks. However, my attraction to the P7 series is the single action, press-cocking, and exceedingly low bore axis aspects of the weapon, which the Wilson doesn't have. And besides it being one of the ugliest pistols ever fielded, it just isn't a P7

...but they soak you coming and going. I'm not much of an HK fan for that reason.
    Agreed.
    You do get what you pay for but geez.
    Thats the only reason I've never owned an HK, the cost is generally exorbitant relative to the competition.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well built tanks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I paid $769.00 for my HK P2000sk lem. I paid $649.00 for my Sig P239 DAK. Only $120.00 difference. I pay $19.99 for factory HK 9rd magazines and $29.99 for factory 8rd Sig magazines. What other accessories do I need? Holsters cost the same. Night sites cost within a few dollars of each other.
    Is HK not worth it because it cost more than Sig? Then Sig must not be worth it because it cost more than Glock. And Glock must not be worth it because it cost more than the XD. Why don't we all just carry Kel-Tecs. They cost half of what Glocks cost.
    I choose to carry a HK because out of all the guns I own and/or have shot, the HK P2000sk is the most comfortable to me and I am the most accurate with it. I own Glocks, XD's, Sigs, Smiths, and even a Kel-tec. Go with what fits you the best, if you can afford the difference why settle?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    I choose to carry a HK because out of all the guns I own and/or have shot, the HK P2000sk is the most comfortable to me and I am the most accurate with it. I own Glocks, XD's, Sigs, Smiths, and even a Kel-tec. Go with what fits you the best, if you can afford the difference why settle?
    AMEN Brother, AMEN.

My P2000SK came with mepro night sights and three magazines for a total of $684. That put the gun itself in the $600 range, very much worth it when compared to Sigs and Glocks. I'm reading all these posts about how expensive the HK line is and wondering if any of the posters actually own a HK. Hmmmm?

Nothing comes free and most things of quality and value come at higher cost than products of lesser quality. I have HKs that ranged in price from $550 to $1000 and all of them were a bargain for the price I paid as far as I'm concerned. I'd much rather have a $600 HK that works all the time than a $300 fill in the blank that fails every so often. Many firearms are reliable and serve CCW duties well. HKs do it without fail, are made to last and lead the way in many firearm innovations.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Crucible View Post
    Thanks. However, my attraction to the P7 series is the single action, press-cocking, and exceedingly low bore axis aspects of the weapon, which the Wilson doesn't have. And besides it being one of the ugliest pistols ever fielded, it just isn't a P7
    Not to mention the fact that the P7 is just so sexy looking.
    Seriously though, you'll never see a P7 manufactured in plastic. The tolerances required are beyond plastics capability. It is simply a piece of art. If it hadn't been so expensive to produce it would have been, IMO, much more popular. It does and will aways have quite a faithfull following though.
    Let us not forget that HK also was the first to produce a 'plastic' pistol in the VP 70. The VP 70Z (civilian) and the VP 70M (military) which had a cyclic rate for a 3-burst of approx. 2200 RPM.
    H&K arms, although not inexpensive, are certainly high quality firearms.

http://www.hk-usa.com/products.html

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

EW3

HK- good for Govt, but not for us regular Joes?

Has anyone heard this regarding HK's?

I had my choices for my first pistol purchase last year narrowed down to a Sig, Springfield XD and an HK USP. The guy at the gun shop I went to really downplayed the HK saying it was an excellent gun, but basically said: "since all their business is with the government/military, you will be waiting a long time for service if anything goes wrong, as civilians are not a priority"

I ended up going with the XD, but would still consider a USP in the future.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Has anyone heard this regarding HK's?
    Since HK has opened the Trusslow facility people with reported problems seem very pleased with the quality of service. I've only used it once to order some parts and they were very helpful and prompt. HK has solved the admitted problem they had with customer support.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links