HK?

HK?

This is a discussion on HK? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I see a lot of things said about Sig, Glock, and so on but see very little on HK. Whats your opinion on the HK? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK?

HK?

I see a lot of things said about Sig, Glock, and so on but see very little on HK. Whats your opinion on the HK? I had a Taurus 24/7 in a .45 but traded it in on the full size HK USP .45. It seems to me to be so much better in every way. Is there something I am missing about the HK? I know its a hard gun to conceal, but I love a full size and do not feel that I should carry less than a .40 cal.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I think there are a good number of threads on HK guns.

Do a search for p2000, p2000sk, usp, etc...

Check out hkpro.com

It's pricey, but good stuff.
    Regards,

Dean

Lead Moderator
    Big but great pistols. I carry a HK USP .40 full size in the winter. For summer carry it's a bit big to conceal. My HK is old but reliable. it has been my main pistol since 93'
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Built like anvils and just as sexy.

- Wile E. Coyote
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Nothing wrong with a HK other than mags are 40$ apiece i really liked mine but traded it in on something i wanted more

Administrator
    HK's had a good following from the movie and video game crowd, I suspect a good number of sales came from those types. With that said, they do build a quality pistol but they soak you coming and going. I'm not much of an HK fan for that reason.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well built guns, and about as comfortable as a 2x4 to carry and shoot.

I have a USP .45 fullsize and love it. Mine came with the DA/SA trigger which I had converted to the LEM with lightened trigger. Absolutely no regrets.

While others apparently pay upwards of $40 for magazines, I somehow managed to purchase nearly a dozen (at different times) for usually $20 each, HK manufacture. Guess I'm just shopping better. Other than changing out mag springs, the USP has been perfect. Also have a .40 P2000SK with light LEM. It has also been perfect with no issues whatsoever. For some reason, mag springs on the USPc/P2000/P2000sk have been fine, just the USPf is odd.

For the .45, I've shot CCI Brass and Aluminum case ammo for thousands of rounds. Perfect. No FF or FE. The .40 has been CCI Brass or WWB, 100% success. That's what I expect from HK. I feel that the reliability, accuracy, ergonomics and build quality justify the price.

I carry an HK P2000 .40 V3 and it is a fantasticly ergonomic pistol, and one of the best concealed carry double stack pistols out there. I'm a 1911 guy at heart, but this not only has brought me into experimenting wth plastic pistols, but convinced me that I can and do carry and conceal (this one) as well as my 1911's.

It's shown not a single failure of any kind since new, with any kind of ammo (1600 rounds or so though it). It's been perfect in training classes where it was not only not babied, but once was actually used as a club to the face of a too-close target when reloading wouldn't have been an option:)

I do wish the trigger had less travel, and was better overall anyway. But I compare all triggers to 1911's, so it's hard for anything else to really stack up accordingly.

It's convinced me enough to be my primary CCW.

My fantasy pistol is the P7 series, specifically the P7M8 and M13, but I can never justify the cost for the double stack, and the single stacks are still expensive and still have capacity issues I can't ignore either. I would however seriously consider exchanging a body part for a newly made, polymer framed P7 double stack :) Please HK?

I have the HK USP Compact, and it is an excellent gun; accurate, reliable and built like a tank. I do carry it, but not often.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I'm a fan of HK's, as I've posted many times. If you like .40 cal, I think HK is the best choice. As far as I know, it is the only semi-auto built originally for the .40 cal. and not a beefed up 9mm. It handles the recoil well because it was designed for it. I carry the USP compact in .40 and it conceals very well and is comfortable to carry. I use a K&D Cochise Defender, IWB.

I don't think it is overpriced, and is on par with a Sig. It is more expensive than an XD, M&P, Glock, etc, but not much.

Just one man's opinion. I tried CZ, Glock, and Ruger, all in .40 cal, before making HK my permanent choice.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucible View Post
    My fantasy pistol is the P7 series, specifically the P7M8 and M13, but I can never justify the cost for the double stack, and the single stacks are still expensive and still have capacity issues I can't ignore either. I would however seriously consider exchanging a body part for a newly made, polymer framed P7 double stack :) Please HK?
    Crucible, You should at least give a look to the Wilson ADP which is akin to a poly, gas retarded, blowback, fixed barrel, double stack (10 rounds) pistol.

IMHO HK makes some of the premier pistols available. They are most certainly innovators in the gun world. As far a duty guns go they make the best there are. From huge frame to small frame CCW, all HKs eat all ammo effortlessly, offer excellent accuracy, dependability far better than most, are rugged and robust and offer long service life.

HK makes no bad guns...period. Well worth the money. Greg Bell has run some very interesting threads on other forums, the theme being "Break My HK". He has torture tested a P2000 and is currently trying to destroy a new HK45. Good, but long, reads on the HKPRO forum.

I love my HKs.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The only HK i own is a p7 police trade in . I like it , no actually i love it . I however cant warm up to the current offerings from hk . Now if one came by cheap enough i would nab it , but i put them in the same class as glocks and xds fine pistols but nothing to be real excited about .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by older gunner View Post
    I don't think it is overpriced, and is on par with a Sig. It is more expensive than an XD, M&P, Glock, etc, but not much.
    The initial price isnt what makes them expensive, its the total cost of ownership. If you want a light mounted, you have to buy HK. Any parts you need they have to come direct from HK. HK fleeces you when you buy the pistol and when you need to upkeep the pistol. They just are not all that great to justify the price.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The department supplies us with the USP .40 equipped with night sights. Troopers have the choice of full size or compact. I chose the compact model for two reasons. It's easier to carry concealed and it fits my medium sized hands better. I can quickly manipulate the controls on the compact, which is great for those high speed mag changes. I really like it! I have never had a malfunction with it, even when it's dirty, wet or frozen.

We used to have 92FS in 9mm (M-9 for you soldiers). Which I really liked because I shot it a lot in the Army. But the H&K USP has the nifty ambidextrous magazine release, which is IMO a lot faster and easier to use than a button on the well.

I agree with a lot of others about the quality... it's top notch (tank-like). But if I was spending my money and not the departments I would buy a Glock 27 for concealed carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links