Shotgun or pistol - Page 2

Shotgun or pistol

This is a discussion on Shotgun or pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A Surefire forestock is a great investment!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun or pistol

A Surefire forestock is a great investment!

ckd
    Over penetration would be a concern. The inital loads probably should be birdshot, which at less than 7 yards (max dimension of most normal houses) would be effective but rarely pass through two layers of drywall. Glasser safety slugs for HGs help in this regard too.

There is not substitute for training, learning the limits of manuverability is always an eye opener. I would rather have a high capacity HG than a SG for searches, a SG for defending in place - just my preferences.

There are plenty of threads about shotgun loads on the internet. I don't want to start a new thread on it, and I don't want to hijack this thread - so I will just say this: Birdshot is for birds. My shotgun is loaded with 00 buck. I would use 1 buck, and nothing smaller.

Austin

Administrator
    As usual, I have a different train of thought on this.

First, forget about "knock down" power and all that gun shop garbage talk for a minute. Do your job, and none of that stuff will really matter anyway.

I break my working guns down into two different classifications.

Defensive and offensive.

A shotgun is a pure defensive weapon. I think every homeowner should have a good, solid "riot" gun. Its great for holding down the fort and repealing BG's. If your plan is staying put in a safe room if a BG is in your home- a shotgun is the way to go. If your trying to keep BG's from entering a small perimeter (such as your home), again, the shotgun is the tool to have. Its not so great for moving around on the offensive. This is the job for a good, full sized pistol.

I know some of you wont agree that clearing your own home is offensive, but if you really think about it, it is. You're actively seeking out the BG.
    Cutting the pie in most homes is a difficult task to do alone with a long gun. You have corners to round, doors to open and possible kids to carry- all are difficult to do with a long gun keeping it in play. The pistol grip shotguns are even worse. (unless you think you're the terminator)

Just my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    As usual, I have a different train of thought on this.
    I don't think your train is heading a different direction. I read this thread in summary, to indicate that most everyone agrees you should not clear your house unless necessary (children... for example), the shotgun isn't the weapon of first choice when doing so but the shotgun is an excellent choice to stand your ground with.

Am I wrong anyone?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    My "different" was about the offensive/defensive thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

kpw
    My pistol is for thinking there might be trouble. My shotgun is for knowing there is gonna be trouble. I'll take the long gun anytime I can if I know a fight is coming, rifle or shotgun.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    My pistol is for thinking there might be trouble. My shotgun is for knowing there is gonna be trouble. I'll take the long gun anytime I can if I know a fight is coming, rifle or shotgun.
    Well, yeah... me too, if it was always that simple.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow ,,, glad I started this thread.. its been a great read. Lots of hmmm I gotta think about that one. I guess I am kinda lucky with no kids and an easy to clear apartment. But I do think I may change to #4 from the 00 after this reading.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Birdshot is for birds.

Glad somebody else finnally said it.

And also +1 to Sixto's thoughts.
    Last edited by SonofASniper; January 6th, 2008 at 04:10 AM. Reason: edited content
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Hey Guys you know that I'm still inexperienced at this but I happen to like my 12ga w/pistol grip. Now I admit my home is all one floor and pretty open so going around corners is pretty much a non issue for me.
    Also I try to get to the range one a week with it and fire at different positions. I had a former police swat guy work with me for my first range visit.
    FYI: I shot both Fed Premium Tactical 00 low recoil law enforcement buckshot and the Italian brand, the NobelSport #4 law enforcement buckshot and was impressed that at about 10 yards it was very hard to tell the diff between the two patterns. I thought the Fed did have a slightly easier recoil but nil'. So now I use a couple of #4's followed by the 00s.
    The shotgun is one mean SOB! Err.. I mean Son of a Gun!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    My shotgun is for knowing there is gonna be trouble. I'll take the long gun anytime I can if I know a fight is coming, rifle or shotgun.
    Amen Brother!!!!

Think of it this way, would you rather be fighting a bad guy with a pistol, or a bad guy with a 12ga howitzer. I'll take the pistol guy any day and twice on sundays!!!

when im home(aka on leave or pass) i've got my .45 and my 9mm, and my ar15when im stuck in newyork its just the ar 15 locked in the arms room and my knife. and hope the armourer is around when i need the gun.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

The shotgun is a great backup HD gun. Like someone said if I know someone is in the house I like my 12ga and #2 lead shot. It will clear the hallway nicely.
    On the other hand, the 1911 and a flash light work better to clear the house. I can also tuck the handgun away if the noise turns out to be nothing and I don't want someone else to see I have it.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I used to keep a shotgun by the bed for HD. One day I thought I heard someone at the back patio door of my apartment at a late hour (turned out to be kids droping their toys from the deck above). I grabbed the shotty and started working my way to there when I promptly got myself hung up in hallway because of the length.

My conclusion after that was that a shotgun could be more of a hinderance then a help, unless I get the chance to build a house for myself with the design laid out for a defender with such. Also, now I have two small children in the house so having a shotgun/longgun in easy access just isn't safe for a couple of more years.
    Not to bust your chops, but how did you not practice movement in the apartment with the shotty before showtime?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links