Cricket kid's rifles

This is a discussion on Cricket kid's rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sheldon J Nice gun but... a single shot teaches a youth to conserve ammo, to make their one shot count, to use ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cricket kid's rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Nice gun but... a single shot teaches a youth to conserve ammo, to make their one shot count, to use the safety and just better gun handling technique.
    A lever action is a fun gun but I would save it for more advanced shooters, like second gun when they get a bit older and more experienced.
    A lever action doesn't teach rapid fire!! If you let your kid shoot any gun like Rambo you aren't teaching gun saftey! The only difference between a single shot and a lever action is how the round ebnters the chamber, NOTHING ELSE. Proper gun handling and shooting skills are taught exactly the same for both rifles. The single shot doesn't conserve ammo, the trigger finger does. A lever action is a fine gun to teach proper skills with, to each his own, but I disagree with a lever action doesn't teach to make your one shot count. Were not talking a full auto here!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    A lever action doesn't teach rapid fire!! If you let your kid shoot any gun like Rambo you aren't teaching gun saftey! The only difference between a single shot and a lever action is how the round ebnters the chamber, NOTHING ELSE. Proper gun handling and shooting skills are taught exactly the same for both rifles. The single shot doesn't conserve ammo, the trigger finger does. A lever action is a fine gun to teach proper skills with, to each his own, but I disagree with a lever action doesn't teach to make your one shot count. Were not talking a full auto here!!
    NCH
    No not full auto or rapid fire didn't say that. But it is in the repetition of loading a single round, the engage / disengage the bolt safety which lever guns do not have, keeping it pointed in a safe direction all the while that help to teach, encourage and make safe gun handling SOP when you are not there to help them.

I like lever guns but a first gun needs to be as simple as possible and you cannot get much simpler or safer than a single shot bolt action.

SS bolt action= one bullet, open action, insert bullet, close action, aim, disengage safety, shoot, remove one bullet from box, repeat. End of day bolt open, chamber MT, gun safe.

Leaver gun= open tube, insert rounds until full, close tube, aim, operate lever, shoot, operate lever shoot, repeat until MT. End of day lever open Chamber MT, but is the gun really MT?

Not quite the same after all is it.

I agree that a lever gun is a fine gun... just not for a first gun, but definately a gun No2 right along with a nice .22 pump.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I think the main thing a single bolt action gun does is allow "Dad" or "Grandpa" to dole out one bullet at a time. Therefore assuring a safe and unloaded firearm while Dad or Grandad and little Suzie Mae Louhoo goes down range to set up the can or change the target. Even if the they all go the gun is never reloaded until Dad or Grandpa hands out that next bullet when he is ready to give his complete attention and care to the kid for the next shot.

it is a safety thing.

However can be done with any gun that allows one bullet to be loaded into the breach at a time.

So no matter what gun you use, I would always use the Barney Fife approach... that is "All the bullets are in my pocket, and I give you one when we are both ready... and only one at a time."

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    My kids were little years ago, but there used to be a single shot bolt action rifle called the Chipmunk. Worked great for them, I've still got it in my safe.
    I have one of those also it was what I learned how to shoot on. my grandfather got it for me when I was about 5
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

If I'm not mistaken the Cricket, Chipmonk and Henry mini-bolt are all the same action.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links