Cricket kid's rifles

This is a discussion on Cricket kid's rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to be picking up a .22 Cricket singleshot rifle for my child and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket kid's rifles

Cricket kid's rifles

I am going to be picking up a .22 Cricket singleshot rifle for my child and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these guns? They seem to be the only rifles made small enough for what I need and the price isn't bad. Any experiences, advice or opinions are welcome.Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah get the one with the nice multi color laminated stock, a single shot .22 is a great gun to learn on for a kid, while you are at it pick up a brick of ammo and take them to the range
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

If it's for your daughter, get the pink one, or you'll never hear the end of it.......

......ask me how I know!

VIP Member
    Mine works fine. Good little plinker to teach younger kids on. I got the wood on mine because it is shared by all the nieces and nephews.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Probably gonna go with the black synthetic because I can get it new for $90.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    i bought the black one to teach my son- walmart for less than $100. shoots well, but the sights are bad. totally reliable- not much can go wrong.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Lead Moderator
    yeah, the sights are no the best. But it is a good starter gun . Light , short and fun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My son's first rifle was the same action as the Cricket, a Henry mini bolt .22 w/black synthetic stock. Great easy visible sights and just the right size for little kids. A good gun to learn on. I see someone else complained about the sights. The Henry has light gathering plastic sights with good definition and Scotty hits what he is shooting at with it. Until he starts getting tired and then his shots starts to wander then it's time to put the gun up.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

My kids were little years ago, but there used to be a single shot bolt action rifle called the Chipmunk. Worked great for them, I've still got it in my safe.

I got the pink laminate for my granddaughter. Sanded the stock down and applied numerous coats of tung oil. Plan on the same for my grandson but with the red white & blue stock.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

I looked at the Cricket, but decided on the youth model lever action by Henry. This is a much better gun, very accurate and for under $200 is a real bargain. My son started shooting at 6 years old and now hunts on his own. His gun safety and hadling practices are far better than any of the adults I know. I am very proud of him. Start them young and teach them right.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I looked at the Cricket, but decided on the youth model lever action by Henry. This is a much better gun, very accurate and for under $200 is a real bargain. My son started shooting at 6 years old and now hunts on his own. His gun safety and hadling practices are far better than any of the adults I know. I am very proud of him. Start them young and teach them right.
    NCH
    Nice gun but... a single shot teaches a youth to conserve ammo, to make their one shot count, to use the safety and just better gun handling technique.
    A lever action is a fun gun but I would save it for more advanced shooters, like second gun when they get a bit older and more experienced.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Bought 2 for the kids. The boys is dark synthetic (looks like a mini version of Dad's deer rifle he says) and multi-colored for the girl. Lousy sights but a decent first rifle.

Thanks for the input guys. I've looked at other options but the Cricket and Chipmunk are the only ones that have a short enough stock for our needs and the Cricket is readily available in our area. The Henrys are really nice guns and I have one of their .22 lever guns(regular size), but have not handled their youth model. At this point I would rather have the single shot to teach the basics.

I think almost all gun manufacturers have a youth model. I know Winchester, Marlin and Remington do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links