Glock 30

This is a discussion on Glock 30 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife just traded in her Taurus PT111 9mm in for a Glock 30 in a .45ACP. She seems to be happy. The slide works ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30

Glock 30

My wife just traded in her Taurus PT111 9mm in for a Glock 30 in a .45ACP. She seems to be happy. The slide works so much easier for her, the slide release is easier, fits good in her hand, and suprising to me is hers carries 9+1 and my HK USP .45 is 10+1. Yet hers is so much lighter, and smaller. I purchased some more reloading equipment and will reload 500 rounds this weekend and let her take it for a test run. Has anyone had any experience with the Glock 30?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

2. Remove Ads

Glock does not recommend shooting reloads due to the hexagonal rifling. I believe it would void any Glock warranty. Due you have an aftermarket barrel for it that will handle reloads?

I am not a reloader, so I don't know all of the in and outs here, just what the Glock books say (I have three 9mm).

Strange, my HK has a hexagonal rifling and I dont recall any warnings not to shoot reloads. My HK eats them fine. There is no difference I am aware of in reloads as to store bought rounds. As long as the .45 ACP bullet is .452" should be fine. cant understand why they wont handle it. Maybe she should had gotten an HK?
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I had a Glock 30. It got traded recently for a SIG P220 SAO. Reloads should be fine so long as they are jacketed and not lead. I repeat---NOT LEAD. Lead builds up on the rifling and increases pressures to dangerous levels in the Glock pistol's stock barrels last I heard. There are other aftermarket manufacturers who offer drop-in replacements specifically for this.

i got one and it is one of the best, never had any problems with the gun. now, do not, do not reload cast lead bullets for any glock. glocks are not made to shoot cast lead bullets. if you want to shoot cast lead bullets in a glock, any glock, you will need an after market barrel. now in the g30 you can reload jacket bullets with out any problems, just not cast lead. i reload for the g30 and i use factory barrels.

for the glock 40 cal guns you can not shoot any reloads, the 40 cal factory barrels are not fully supported. they don't give full support the case. for the 40cals you will need a after market barrel. you must find a barrel that gives full case support. i reload for the 40 cal and i use kkm barrels.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The G30 is 10+1 not 9+1. It is a great little .45, I was able to twist member slimjim's arm to sell his to me, I am very happy with the G30. Glock to me is just very hard to beat in all aspects of a ccw. This is coming from a guy that couldn't stand Glocks early on as I thought I had to have the $2k 1911's. Not so, I used a G17 in a training class after my ejector broke in my Custom Colt, used the G17 the rest of the class and was sold on them. That gun was his duty gun and had over 50k rnds through it with normal maintenance.

I love the 1911 but for carry I will stick with the Glock. The G30 was a great choice.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I have the 23 and the 30. Both are great guns, your wife made a good choice.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I have the 23 and the 30. Both are great guns, your wife made a good choice.

Big +1 to that,
    I love my G30 and it will eat anything I feed it, I also shoot reloads with no problems, And most of those are full lead SWC you just need to clean the barrel more often.
    She did good and will enjoy the G30.
    Edited to add: Yes it is a 10 round mag. they can be stiff at first, So 10 +1 and your SO is good to go.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Glock-30's are great guns, but the G-36 is a lot thinner for concealment...I love mine!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Glock does not recommend shooting reloads due to the hexagonal rifling. I believe it would void any Glock warranty. Due you have an aftermarket barrel for it that will handle reloads?

I am not a reloader, so I don't know all of the in and outs here, just what the Glock books say (I have three 9mm).
    It isn't because of the rifling, it's because of lawyers. They recommend against shooting lead bullets in their guns but many have done it with great results. Every gun I've ever bought said not to shoot handload in it that it will void the warranty, blah, blah, blah.

I've shot thousands of handloads through my stock G30 barrel and thousands more through my KKM including lead in both. I shoot nothing but handloads in all my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    for the glock 40 cal guns you can not shoot any reloads, the 40 cal factory barrels are not fully supported. they don't give full support the case. for the 40cals you will need a after market barrel. you must find a barrel that gives full case support. i reload for the 40 cal and i use kkm barrels.
    There are tens of thousands of Glock .40 owners that shoot handloads out of their stock barrels with no ill effect. I know of about four hundred on Glocktalk that do on a regular basis and have tens of thousands of handloads in their stock .40 barrels and have no issues.

There is no barrel out there for any gun that fully, 100% supports the case head. Every barrel will allow some portion of the case head to be unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Strange, my HK has a hexagonal rifling and I dont recall any warnings not to shoot reloads. My HK eats them fine. There is no difference I am aware of in reloads as to store bought rounds. As long as the .45 ACP bullet is .452" should be fine. cant understand why they wont handle it. Maybe she should had gotten an HK?
    Don't worry about it. The gun companies put that warning in there in case a gun owner is careless and shoots an overpressure round and blows the gun up, the company doesn't have to pay for it. Plain and simple. Follow published data and you will be alright.

As to differences between handloads and factory: my handloads cost less, are more accurate and more reliable than any factory load. I will gladly put my handloads to the test versus any factory ammo you want. I will guarantee my handloads will leave factory ammo in the dust and will cost 80% less. I load 45 Auto for $40/1000rds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    The G30 is 10+1 not 9+1.
    The G30 has the option of a 9rd magazine or a 10rd magazine.

I looked and found its not the polygonal rifling. Its the unsupported chamber. Why anyone would manufacture such a thing is beyond me. Seems for safety reasons all manufacturers should be made to make fully supported chambers. My wife is not here right now, but soon as she gets in I am going to check it out. If I find its unsupported I may take it back.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I just took the HK and Glock barrels out, placed them side by side and inserted a bullet into each barrel. I noticed that while the HK at the 6:00 position did have a small portion that was unsupported the Glock had a much higher area thats not supported at 6:00. So I see why they do not recommend reloads for the Glock. I do not think it to be as much a fouling problem as it is the area thats unsupported. So seeing this I will not use reloads in the Glock because I am now fearful of this. My brass has only been used twice now including the original firing. They are fairly new, but I see what happens if the weak spot happens to hit the 6:00 position during chambering. I guess now the big question is this a problem with the HK barrel? I googled it and do not come up with anything that compares to the Glock warning. Maybe she should had gotten the HK instead? The gun has never been fired so maybe we could trade it right back for something safer to shoot reloads in. I know that there is no gun guaranteed not to fail, but maybe one thats got the least problems with this. By the way, I believe the problem with the Glock unsupported barrel is the design of the feed ramp, it is considerably flatter than the HK's ramp.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links