A Bad Experience During A Steel Match - Page 2

A Bad Experience During A Steel Match

This is a discussion on A Bad Experience During A Steel Match within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK guys here are the best pics I could get tonight of my cracked barrel from the MagTech ammo. I'll try to get better ones ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Bad Experience During A Steel Match

1952 - 2006

Pics of my Barrel

OK guys here are the best pics I could get tonight of my cracked barrel from the MagTech ammo.
    I'll try to get better ones during daylight tomorrow.
    Attached Images
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Oooh, ouch. Three times it's blown up? Sir, have you tried a CZ lately????
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

1952 - 2006
    MagTech has decided that I should send the gun directly to them to examine and they will forward it to Rock River Arms. I get the impression that they are going to pick up the tab to rebuilt the top end of it. I hope that's the case. So far Erik Leslie and Troy Duerr of Magtech have been very thoughtful and considerate of what happened. Needless to say, I'm pleased with their response so far and the gun will go out to Magtech in the next day or so when I have time to get to my local UPS center. I'll keep you posted as to what happens.
    Last edited by acparmed; August 15th, 2005 at 07:39 PM.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    hope all goes well for ya. Taurus fixed my PT for the price of shipping , but never sent or gave and explaination for the failure.

DC Founder
    I wish I could offer something, Bob. Knock on wood, I have never had anything even near that happen to me, personally. I have heard of it and seen some pictures of similar failures but never seen anything firsthand. And I hope I never do, quite frankly. I would guess if the MagTech people look at it and pay to have it rebuilt, that will tell the story even if they don't disclose their opinion, officially. If they don't fix it but Rock River does, that will tell a similar story. My question is what if neither of them assumes responsibility. I would maybe inquire of some of the 1911 smith's and see if they would take a look if you don't get satisfaction. I hope, however, they get it fixed up for you right away.

Keep us informed.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006

Magtech Doesn't Want To Repair My Gun

Magtech is saying that it was reloaded ammo because they can't see the primer stamp that is in all their ammo.

Take a close look at the attached pic. The round on the left is the one they say was extracted from my chamber. The one on the right shows the primer stamp.

They are trying to say that the primer isn't theirs.

I know for a 100% certainty that it was Magtech factory ammo that I shot.

I just don't get it.
    Attached Images

~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

i get it they just dont wanna flip the bill like most companys.

The primer looks to be swollen to the rear which would take out the stamp on a overpressure round..

Have you at least got the gun back yet?

Assistant Administrator
    Ahah - well folks, Bob and I discussed this - and it strikes me that if they are getting picky here then they need to take pics of those two pieces of brass, vertically.

My logic says - if the faulty round had been a reload then - let's see the draw marks from the die used for a sizing operation - if no marks then it is once fired - only!

Second point and I'll post here as well as send to Bob - looking in my case of MagTech 44 mag rounds - 73 empty cases show me that some ''V'' marks persist - others most certainly do not - and so that mark can disappear. I'll post pic when I get it done.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think you're right there Chris lets see the brass and see if there are draw marks. The V mark is not on my 500 brass or its on a few not all 20 so they will disapper

Now your on to something boy's. I hope Mag-Tec makes it good, cause I really like the stuff and I think it is good ammo, the price is good and never had a problem with any yet. I will also check my brass for the "V" after shooting the next time out to see what happens.

Could be starting the smoke and mirriors act to see if they can slip out of the responsibility.

USG.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator

OK - pics.

I still feel the inspection for resizing marks, or not, is the key issue but - just took some pics of my 44 mag ammo.

Now I'll be honest - once I got real close in with high magnification - the majority of these 73 fired cases did show some ''V'' mark - some very slight. However - see the second pic where I have gone in closer on three empties. The middle one shows seemingly nothing much, tho again if I use a loupe and change light angle it is just detectable. Maybe this is not as useful as I thought.

My contention would be that, just perhaps, sufficient over-pressure could iron that out. These are quite stiff loads tho so - who knows as they mostly do still show the mark.

Is it impossible for the mark to be obliterated? Not totally impossible maybe. Could factory ammo get fitted with a non-marked primer - unlikely, but impossible? Perhaps not.

Anyways reiterating, yet again - they have to prove resizing - it's that simple. No draw marks? - it's once fired - their responsibility IMO.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I still think you are on to something Chris! and the reason I say this is your rounds were fired and went off properly and as they should right? acparmed's round was defective!!!!!! and did not fire properly and this could have made the difference needed to make the "V" disappear completely as your "good" rounds almost disappeared without any problems.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

The more pressure you get the more likely it will iron out the V in the primer just like you get it hot enough and it will smear the case markings off the case.

All markings and i know in a wheelie for sure there factory loaded stuff is hotter than way hotter than most factory loads from other makers.

There 454 is Hot I dont even handload that hot and again as with the 500 had to go look most of the V's are gone

1952 - 2006
    Ok guys here is the latest news on my gun. As you know it was back in August when I had my Rock River 1911 blow up.

After dancing with MagTech for several months, back in December they decided that it was costing them more money to deal with lil ole me than it would cost them to pay and fix the gun. So....without admitting liability they decided to pay. Fine by me as long as it gets paid for.

Then I get ahold of Chuck Larsen at Rock River Arms and am told it could be ready by the SHOT Show in February. When I talked to Chuck at the SHOT Show he said that the barrel hadn't come in from BarSto yet. Sooo... I headed over to talk to Irv Stone of BarSto Barrels. He tells me that he is sure the barrel had been sent but he would check on it upon his return to work.

Now, I have been unable to get Chuck on the phone ever since the SHOT Show and have been told to just leave him a message and he would call me back to say when my gun would be ready. I've left at least a dozen messages. "Just tell me what's going on with my gun".

The day before yesterday I get in touch with Chuck's secretary, Ulanda, I ask her to at least find out from Chuck what the story is. She agrees.

Now folks it has been over 8 months since Rock River got my gun for repair. I was told by Ulanda yesterday that Chuck had been to busy to get to my gun and that he really hadn't done anything towards its repair. If I wished they would send it back to me so that I could send it to another gunsmith for repair and a new top-end.

I personally find this kind of customer service appalling. Chuck gave the excuse that he didn't start repairing it because of all the dispute over who was going to pay for it with MagTech. That was all settled back in December.

Needless to say I'm mad as hell.

Now is the time that I would like to utilize the power we all have, some of the offers that were made months ago by you.

I'd like to request that everyone send a letter to Chuck Larsen of Rock River Arms and 'splain it to him. Tell him that the treatment Bob Ford has recieved from them is unacceptable and as such you will boycott his firearms and company and that you are going to tell all your shooting friends to do the same until this is resolved.

Let's see if the comsumers still have the power to influence things at the corporate level. I mean all that I want is to have my BOB FORD 1 custom gun back rebuilt like new. I don't think that is too much to ask.

As a favor to me please send your letters to:

Chuck Larsen
    c/o Rock River Arms
    1042 Cleveland Road
    Colona, Illinois 61241

Thanks to one and all who will take 10 minutes and .34 cents in postage to try and make a difference.

~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

acp, I'm on it. That is a bunch of crap! I can't stand when phone calls remain unanswered and/or not returned. Busy or not one must plan accordingly if one wants to stay in business.

I know there are two sides to every story but to have a customers gun for 8 months and NOTHING being done to it or a call to you even asking what you want done with it is unacceptable. I cannot believe that he has had it that long without something happening one way or another.

Side note stamps are .39 cents these days!

10 minutes and .39 cent stamp = No problem!

I am not a RRA owner yet, but I have been looking hard at them and there AR's and will not buy until issue resolved.

Ti.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links