Choosing A Revolver

This is a discussion on Choosing A Revolver within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been feeling the urge for a new revolver lately. So give me your opinions on which would be best for range and knocking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing A Revolver

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Choosing A Revolver

I have been feeling the urge for a new revolver lately. So give me your opinions on which would be best for range and knocking around in the boonies. It will be a 4" stainless. Looking at either the Ruger GP100 or the S&W 686. So let me know which one and why.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

GP100. The trigger won't be as nice as the S&W (but with a Wolff spring kit it will be very good). However the S&W will never ever be as tough as a Ruger. The Ruger will take abuse that will make the S&W cry.

My first handgun was a 6" GP100 SS. I killed a lot of game with that gun. Sold it to fund my G30. Recently got a 4" GP100, did up the sights, springs, grip. Now I shoot the crap out of it.

You simply can't go wrong with the GP100.

Both guns are great. The Ruger costs less and is tougher. The S&W puts a 7th shot at your service. I deliberated and chose the GP100. Picked up the 686 later in 2-1/2" as well. The Ruger doesn't have the useless internal locking system that puts so many people off, to it's credit.

I absolutely love the trigger on a finely tuned Smith revolver - but it seems to be true, the Ruger's are built like tanks and cost a bit less. Don't get me wrong, the Smith isn't going to break or have reliability issues under normal use - but if I had to run over one of them with my SUV, it would be the Ruger.
    I also dislike the integral lock on the new Smiths, as wmhawth pointed out.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

FWIW if I go with the 686 it will be a used pre-lock version. I don't want to start a big debate on the problems with them. I just don't want one on mine. If I want to lock my pistols they go in a safe.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    FWIW if I go with the 686 it will be a used pre-lock version. I don't want to start a big debate on the problems with them. I just don't want one on mine. If I want to lock my pistols they go in a safe.
    Mike
    Yes, the lock has already been debated. As I have said before, the lock seems a totally useless and unnecessary bit of gadgetry. I just haven't had any problems with mine on the 686. I'd prefer the gun didn't have it but it's not something that worries me.

wmhawth
    I have read many posts from people that say they have had no problem. I personaly don't feel that they will cause a problem.
    Now since you have both how much difference is there between
    the triggers and accuracy?
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    wmhawth
    I have read many posts from people that say they have had no problem. I personaly don't feel that they will cause a problem.
    Now since you have both how much difference is there between
    the triggers and accuracy?
    Mike
    The Ruger trigger out of the box won't be as smooth as the Smith. It does seem to smooth out with some time spent shooting at the range and some dry practice. I haven't felt the need to have a gunsmith work on it. I can't do a fair accuracy comparison between my Ruger and my Smith because the Ruger is 4" and the Smith is
    2-1/2" and the longer barrel shoots more accurately for me. I'd just say, in my case the Ruger is very accurate and the Smith "ain't bad".
    For you I'd say: GP100 4" or S&W686 4", You're a winner either way.

VIP Member
    Ruger GP100. I have one that I bought when they first hit the market, many years ago. Mine isn't stainless, but it is a work horse. I won't even venture to say how many rounds have gone through it. At one point I have 2 CCI Blazer aluminum case rounds fail and blow out the side of the casing. I wasn't even aware of the malfunction until I tried to eject the spent casings. Had to force the ejector out. Absolutely no damage to the gun (sent it back to Ruger to be inspected). Nice part of it was I got 500 rounds of CCI Blazer brass casing free from CCI. Of course the gun had been inspected by Ruger before I contacted CCI about the problem.

7 round S&W 686

Personally, I would get a lightly used 7 round pre-lock S&W 686, like this one for sale on Gunbroker right now:

Gunbroker auction on used 4-inch S&W 686

I prefer the S&W's better trigger and 7 round capacity to the Ruger GP100.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    For you I'd say: GP100 4" or S&W686 4", You're a winner either way.
    I appreciate your honesty with your answer. When I posted this, I felt pretty sure that I would just watch around and which ever I can find a good deal on would follow me home. Looks like that may still be the case.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Administrator
    GP100, after seeing all the grief in involved in a full take down, I'll never buy one (686) Then again, I all ready bought my GP100 and am thrilled with it.

Regarding the 686
    Taking out that side plate to clean the internals is a PITA and DON'T EVER remove the guts from inside unless you have a special tool for putting it all back together. I spent about 2 hours helping someone who shall not be named, put his 7-shot 686 back together last night...

With the GP100, the trigger assembly drops right out from the bottom for easy cleaning.

And yes the GP100 can be bought a heck of a lot cheaper than a 686, price of my new GP101 $512, price of a used 686...about $500.

The trigger isn't all that bad, I can keep all 6 rounds in the A-Zone shooting DA rapid fire at 10-15 yards, and I'd sure I could keep them in there at 20 and 25.

The 686 is lighter, but I like the heavier gun for full power loads.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Personally, I would get a lightly used 7 round pre-lock S&W 686, like this one for sale on Gunbroker right now:

Pogo thanks for the link. However I just can't love the idea of a 7 round revolver. It just seems weired. I guess that I must be getting old or something. But growing up revolvers either had 5 or 6 rounds.
    I carry a 45 ACP that holds 13+1 and all seems right with the world. But throw 1 extra round in a revolver and I feel like the earth is shifting on it's axis.
    I think I need some counseling.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

JD
    Thanks for the heads up on the take down. That is something I was not aware of. With that being the case looks like the Ruger just jumped to the head of the pack.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Own a Ruger GP141, can't say enough great things about it.
    Tough and accurate, my two favorite things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links