Switching eyes?

This is a discussion on Switching eyes? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm right handed. But, because I usually will sight with my left eye, I've been told I'm left eye dominant which I've also been told ...

Thread: Switching eyes?

Switching eyes?

I'm right handed.
    But, because I usually will sight with my left eye, I've been told I'm left eye dominant which I've also been told is "incorrect".
    After paying closer attention and doing multiple quick draws, I find that I will bounce back and forth between both eyes.
    I'm pleased with my range results, sooooooo.......
    Is this a "if it's not broken don't fix it" scenario?
    Or is it, in fact, broken?
    Thanks!
    Criminals are not dissuaded by soft words, soft judges or easy laws. They are dissuaded by fear and they are prevented from repeating their crimes by death or by incarceration.

2. Remove Ads

Broken, how? If you're effective, then I would think it's really not much of a problem.

Me, I'm left handed and right-eye dominant. In a modified Weaver type stance, that means I need to tilt the gun over to the right, and my head over to the left. In an isosceles stance, I've been working hard at shooting with both eyes open. Either works fine. I'm probably more accurate with the tried-and-true Weaver, but that's just because of familiarity. The isosceles is simpler and works will either way (with my dominant eye, or both eyes open).

Of course, with a rifle, that makes it all the more challenging. You should see me shooting a Mauser on the range "gangsta" style. Raises a few eyebrows, I can tell you. Though, I suppose so long as I don't catch the cartridges in my teeth, it's all good (lefty, remember). Ha!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds like you don't know for sure which eye is dominant. Simple to determine......

With both eyes open, stick your arm straight out in front of you with your thumb sticking up and "sight" so as to cover a door knob or any other object with your thumb. Now close your left eye. If your thumb remained where it was, you're right eye dominant. If it appeared to move, you're left eye dominant.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with practising to shoot off your weak eye, just as you would with your weak hand, but I do think that it's important to know which is which and not to be switching back and forth unintentionally.

if i were left eyed, i would aim with my left eye. as simple as that.
    do whatever works for you. if you hit the target, who cares

VIP Member
    I have found myself in the same boat. My eyes are currently fighting for dominance. Let me tell you that is not fun. The right eye is currently losing after a groin kick from the left eye. Those lefties fight dirty eye tell ya.

Seriously though. I have no clear dominant eye right now. It does suck. I am going to the eye doc and have them tweak my glasses slightly to force right eye dominance, since I am right handed. If you don't wear glasses there are a number of tricks, but if you results are good, why would you change?

My issue is really with rifle and shotgun shooting. It can get really strange for me if I don't use something on my glasses to force dominance.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I have tried all those exercises to determine my dominant eye and get varied results every time. I just do not have a dominant eye. I do remember when I was young trying to aim with my left eye but that was becasue I could close my right eye much easier than my left eye but trying to sight in with both eyes open, use a microscope etc. I have to close one eye or they will fight for dominance.

Im left eye dominant and right handed. I have never had anyone tell me that its incorrect though. I cant close my left eyelid by itself, but I can close the right, so my eye dominance has shifted over the years. Right now I shoot handguns right handed/left eye, and rifles left handed.

I use the situation to my advantage. I have learned to shoot both left and right handed, shoot rifles left and right (I have to cover my left eye when shooting on the right )

Ok, get ready for this, because its a mind twister.

I'm right handed, right eye dominant. I used to be nearsighted in my right eye though, so I learned to shoot rifles left handed so I could use my good eye. I'd just close my right eye. For handguns I'd shoot right handed but use my left eye. Recently I had laser eye surgery, and now my dominant right eye want to do the looking - I can't shoot my rifles left handed without closing my right eye. For handguns it won't make much difference, because I already shoot right handed, but I need to learn to shoot my long runs right handed now so I can shoot both eyes open...

The up side is, when I need to shoot "weak side" I will be awesome because I've been training that way for years!

Austin

Broken, how? If you're effective, then I would think it's really not much of a problem.
    Ditto

G&G
    I'm left eye dominant but I shoot right handed. I tried covering the left eye so my right eye could start picking up the front sight but as soon as the cover came off....the left eye wins again. Why fight it? I shoot IDPA. It's hard enough to pick up the front sight with my dominant eye with indoor lighting. If I can't pick up the sight right away, I close my right eye for an instant and keep going.

You'll be ok. Just keep practicing.
    Stay safe
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE The up side is, when I need to shoot "weak side" I will be awesome because I've been training that way for years![/QUOTE]

I am right handed, and left eyed. I shot lefty all my life with a long gun and still do. The cool thing is that being right handed made it easy for me to learn to handle a long arm (read shotgun) right handed. It doesn't sound like much but in a gunfight with my scattergun I can go strong side from cover no matter if its left or right. It leaves me less exposed, and hopefully more alive afterwards. The only catch was that I struggled trying to work a slide action so I use a semi auto.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're hitting your target. I am right handed & can shoot with either eye. I always shoot with both eyes open.

A doo doo lasik doc blew up both of my eyes and both need cornea transplants.

I'm RH and RE dominant and current cornea x plant is in left (non dominant)...and is messed up big time till the stitches come out (1 year)

I've practiced a lot weak hand ... but with both eyes open now right eye is dominant.

I can hardly wait to see (pun) what happens when non dominant eye (left) does the heavy lifting after the dominant is stitched and blurred during the next transplant.

I feel like a science project.

Did anyone follow that ... didn't think so.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

I'm right-handed, left-eye dominant. 20/20 right eye, 20/15 left eye.

My dad, brother, and I are all RH, LE. When my dad taught my brother and I to shoot, he realized we were LE because both of us were hunched over it using our left eyes while holding it right-handed. So he gave us the option to switch hands or eyes. I switched eyes; brother switched hands.

We all shoot pistols RH, but Dad and bro shoot long guns LH. Interesting.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Sorry to hear that riverkeeper. I hope they make it right.

I had PRK (they sand your cornea instead of cutting a flap) and I have a little bit of haze, but nothing to complain about.

Austin

Links