Shot a .500 for the first time today

This is a discussion on Shot a .500 for the first time today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The wife and I went to the range, there was a fella a couple of benches away shooting some big stuff. I went to check ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot a .500 for the first time today

Shot a .500 for the first time today

The wife and I went to the range, there was a fella a couple of benches away shooting some big stuff. I went to check it out and he asked if I would like to try one. I declined, but he insisted. He had a custom Ruger chambered in .500 Linebaugh. The ammo was custom loads. 400 gr shooting at 1250 fps. Holy crap!!! I am a fairly big guy with large hands and I could barely hold on to the thing, I had enough after five rounds. Shot my 45 afterwards and it felt like a pea shooter.

2. Remove Ads

Hurt, didn't it? I can't figure out guys that have to have the biggest whatever around, but aren't proficient to use it! Stick with that .45!

I agree, bigger is not always better. Could he shoot it? It's funny this is why you normally see these guns for sale and in the listing it says something like " less than a full box of ammo down the pipe!!" Gee I wonder why?? I have two 44 mag and love them. I can shoot several hundred rounds with little to no discomfort ( I reload a little light) and I see no reason to go any bigger. I have been seeing "The Alaskan" The S&W in 500 that comes in the water proof case sitting on the same shelf in the gun shop for over a year. I reckon I'm not the only one who doesn't want to shoot a bullet that large out of a snubnose , or close to it!!!

Reminds me of this video!!

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/...ert_eagle.html
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Hurt, didn't it? I can't figure out guys that have to have the biggest whatever around, but aren't proficient to use it! Stick with that .45!
    It's a toy. Too big to carry. Most likely aren't going to hunt with it. It's just a toy.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

That's actually a terrible cartridge in my opinion. It reminds me of the Beowolf .499. Terrible ballistics and really no other purpose but to shoot elephants. Even then, it's a terrible choice for an elephant gun.

Orange County Sheriffs office just went out and spent the Homeland Security funding on .499 Beowolf AR15 style rifles. They cited the need to shoot elephants should they ever get out of the theme parks in Orlando zoos.

I guess none of the "Expert" law enforcement deputy's checked to see how lousy a 400 grain bullet is at 1450 fps.....................Could have saved money and just purchased a couple of 45_70 Guide guns. But I didn't expect the Orange County Sheriffs officers to really know anything about what they had just bought anyway.................................mindless.

If you've ever attempted to shoot those things beyond 100 meters you'll be surprised at how much bullet drop is present at an intermediate range. You have to hold low, very low, with a scoped Beowolf.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Lousy? Similar ballistics to .45-70 out of a rifle, but from a revolver, is lousy?.

I understand that big bore revolvers aren't everyone's game, and that some people don't care for heavy recoil and muzzle blast, and no, it's not designed for concealed carry.

Still, I can't understand why every time someone talks about the biggest of the big boy cartridges, someone is sure to deride the cartridge as worthless... a toy... too much gun.

A revolver that is suitable for hunting any large game on this continent... worthless.

A caliber that produces twice the muzzle energy of a .44 magnum... worthless.

A revolver capable of long range accuracy like no other handgun... useless.

Don't knock it simply because it's not your thing. People spending money on guns and ammo, and spending time at the firing range is _always_ a good thing.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Orange County Sheriffs office just went out and spent the Homeland Security funding on .499 Beowolf AR15 style rifles. They cited the need to shoot elephants should they ever get out of the theme parks in Orlando zoos.
    We're so proud....... Not what I'd call the most bang for their buck (pun intended)!

i have no problem with people having these guns. if they enjoy shooting them, then great! good for them. no they are not practical for human self defense. but they are practical for other things and heck, guns dont have to be practical to be fun. the only things that concerns me is often the guys with such guns are the unsafe ones. at least where i go and shoot. im sure there are plenty that arnt. just a lot of times the people i see with these are either the ones holding their other guns gangsta style, or the group of guys that decided to rent the biggest gun the range has and think they know stuff about guns when they dont

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    Lousy? Similar ballistics to .45-70 out of a rifle, but from a revolver, is lousy?.

I understand that big bore revolvers aren't everyone's game, and that some people don't care for heavy recoil and muzzle blast, and no, it's not designed for concealed carry.

Still, I can't understand why every time someone talks about the biggest of the big boy cartridges, someone is sure to deride the cartridge as worthless... a toy... too much gun.

A revolver that is suitable for hunting any large game on this continent... worthless.

A caliber that produces twice the muzzle energy of a .44 magnum... worthless.

A revolver capable of long range accuracy like no other handgun... useless.

Don't knock it simply because it's not your thing. People spending money on guns and ammo, and spending time at the firing range is _always_ a good thing.
    I fail to see the utility in any big bore revolver. Unless your hunting big big game, and then a snubby is about as useless as throwing rocks unless you want to get up close and personal with your growling Kodiac Bear.

As mentioned the .499 Beowolf, as now used by the Orange County Sheriffs deputys, is a lousy cartridge for an AR15 platform. It's actually a joke and this should be in the comedy threads.

And, twice the muzzle energy ????...............................Don't think so. I've got 9mm Luger +P+ loads that will produce the same muzzle velocity, maybe not the energy but if your going to shoot a 400 grain bullet, it had better be traveling much faster than 1250 FPS..............................That's actually funny.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I happen to like the 500 S&W , honestly tho i like the .460 more . I can get into a 500 for " market value " but wont . If the hand had a .460 where i could use .45 lc in it i would have been all over it months ago . The 500 is impressive , and carrys a lot of weight , the .460 is a true pocket rifle . This will ignite the 9mm vs .45 debate all over again , with predictable results as posters have different expectations , and different needs .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    This will ignite the 9mm vs .45 debate all over again
    Hehehe....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    twice the muzzle energy ????...............................Don't think so. I've got 9mm Luger +P+ loads that will produce the same muzzle velocity, maybe not the energy but if your going to shoot a 400 grain bullet, it had better be traveling much faster than 1250 FPS..............................That's actually funny.
    A typical .44 mag load will generate something around 900 Ft/Lbs of energy at the muzzle... That 400gr example you use travelling at 1250fps would generate 1388 Ft/Lbs.

A 440 gr slug at 1600 (nowhere near max from a .500s&w) generates 2500 Ft/Lbs of muzzle energy. Any 9mm that doesn't make shrapnel out of the gun isn't even going to be in the same ballpark.

Big bullets moving at modest speeds have been harvesting the largest animals on the planet for over a century.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I'd love a .500 Linebaugh, but I don't think I'll ever get one. Its not even on my list. I do have a .475 Linebaugh on my list though...

You can download it to 1000fps and hunt deer and hogs all day long, or crank it up and go after buffalo or grizzly if you want to. Its quite the versatile cartridge, and in a handgun there's not need for amazing ballistics past 100 yds IMO - I wouldn't shoot farther than 75 yds in most situations.

Austin

I shoot a 454 Cassull. Not quite up to 500 Linebaugh, but it can intimmidate when being fired.
    I had been planning a Alaska bear/carribu trip when I got it five years ago. The hunt did not happen, now it shoots 45 cal. bullets at about 1200fps [sound like a 44 mag.] doesn't it. Much more pleasant to shoot. Great deer pistol.
    Quite frankly, at it uppermost loads, it is more than I want to shoot. On the other hand, I have watched people put round after round of heavy loads downstream.
    I don't know why you would want a 50 cal. anything unless it was black powder, but it you shoot it safely, why not. Do it and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    It's a toy. Too big to carry. Most likely aren't going to hunt with it. It's just a toy.
    yep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links