What Went Wrong ???

What Went Wrong ???

This is a discussion on What Went Wrong ??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This has been around for awhile but, I just found it again so I posted it just in case anybody missed it. A Compilation of ...

Administrator

What Went Wrong ???

This has been around for awhile but, I just found it again so I posted it just in case anybody missed it.

A Compilation of Thoughts [From Numerous Sources] on:

WHAT WENT WRONG IN LITTLETON, COLORADO
    If the parents had kept their children away from guns, we wouldn't have had such a tragedy.

It must have been the guns.

It couldn't have been because our children get to spend an average of 30 seconds in meaningful conversation with their parents each day. After all, we give our children quality time.
    It couldn't have been because we allow our children to watch, on average, seven hours of television a day filled with the glorification of sex and violence.
    It couldn't have been because we allow our children to play violence dominated video games for hours on end. Video games that literally teach murder as an instinctive way to solve problems.
    It couldn't have been because we allow our children to enter into "virtual" worlds in which, to win the game, one must kill as many opponents as possible in the most sadistic way possible.
    It couldn't have been because we allow our children uncontrolled and unsupervised use of the Internet where they can find websites that preach wicked, perverted and deviant behaviour.
    It couldn't have been because the evening news is a daily lesson of hate, prejudice, intolerance, bias and outright deceit about people and groups whose views differ from the "controlling media."
    It couldn't have been because our children have become so spoiled with material things that they come to equate the receiving of the material with love.
    It couldn't have been because our children, who historically have been seen as a blessing, are now being viewed as inconveniences that parents try to raise in their spare time.
    It couldn't have been because our nation is developing a pattern of violence and "copy-cat" crimes because savage death and gratuitous violence produced "LIVE" for endless hours -- boosts TV ratings and sells newspapers.
    It couldn't have been because we give a few months in prison, or suspended sentences and probation for teen-agers who kill and maim -- and then give them a clean criminal record when they turn eighteen.
    It couldn't have been because we teach our children that there are no laws of morality that transcend us, that everything is relative and that actions don't have consequences. What the heck, the president (Clinton) gets away with it.

No!, it must have been the guns.

Assistant Administrator
    It's all there ain't it!

Yep - the hunk of iron and its tube with hole down middle - definitely #1 cuprit. I mean, what else could it be?!

I must remember when folks come into my office - to be wary lest some guns jump out and savage my visitor!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I must remember when folks come into my office - to be wary lest some guns jump out and savage my visitor!
    That's right! Look what that Glock did to the DEA guy in the video, and he was a professional!

SSKC

You know, when I open and close the gun shop on occasion, I'm not worried about the drug addled loser trying to sneak up into my blind spot as I dash for the alarm console.

No, I'm worried about the 600-some odd firearms in cases ready to lash out at me. They've been there ignored and maligned and ready to assault the first person they see.

Somehow I've managed unscathed these many hundreds of times now - but sooner or later, I'll zig when I should have zagged, and that's the last you'll have heard from me.

Or my Uzi will be mad I didn't shoot it last week, and beat me when I come home.

It's a wonder I'm around guns. I must be a victim of gun-related domestic violence where I'm cowed in their presence and feel worthless without their evil embrace. :)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I don't like this piece. At all.

It attempts to pin the actions of the killers on the media, electronic games, and politicians, anything but their personal decision to do something evil.

The only valid criticisms I see are that adults such as parents should have been more involved with these kids, and that our society doesn't believe in personal responsibility. However on the last point it contradicts itself by intoning that something like a violent TV show can "make" you kill somebody.

The point that guns didn't cause it of course stands but beyond that it's flawed in its argument.

Administrator

Question Euclidean

Good Counter Points.
    Interesting...Can "normal" kids get so desensitized to death & watching violent death that coupled with excessive fantasy & role playing they could be made more prone to kill "in real life" easier.
    I have absolutely no idea.
    What do you all think?

Also...since most kids never make any decisions to do anything really evil like start shooting up a school then what factors make the kids who DO...do it??

One common link is that most young school "killers" were being constantly teased or rejected or made to feel like they were outcasts or strange by other students.
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 14th, 2005 at 09:12 AM.

I'll be honest here - I was a bad child. I had every advantage. It didn't matter. Some of that little voice that says "don't" I never had - what most people intrinsically had, I didn't. I developed a very, very rigid ethical code over the years that's served me very well, but it's still not based on the same sorts of things as 'normal' people.

There are some bad apples, some of which turn out to be OK applesauce a few years down the road. But there are some folks that are just beyond hope.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    QK - I forget now but I posted something, here I think a ways back, which was sorta about vid games and the like and their influence.

Anyways - let's say we cannot ''blame'' kid's actions on the games per se - that is like trying to sue a gun maker for a criminal using one of their guns. Similar eh.

We can tho I think attribute the game's influence when added to bad or non-existant parenting - to violent actions - the kids in question probably being insecure, unloved, and having had few if any lessons in morals and values. The ease of ''wiping out'' a bad guy on a game can I feel translate sometimes, into a kid thinking it's just simple ''bang - your dead'' type of deal, and not thinking beyond the action itself, let alone consequences.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links